what they don't tell you about CIs

That's something that everyone should do. There are some people who have CI that absolutely have to have it on at all times. CIs are like hearing aids... they should be worn when necessary. Sometimes, other things are more important than having to hear.

For instance, one could argue that he needs to wear his hearing aids while being outside so that he can hear what goes on around him. However, if he was mowing the grass and heavy sweat would happen... then hearing aids are not absolutely necessary. Seriously, people don't interrupt a person mowing the grass. If it was a passer by, it would likely be a wave instead of a verbal "Hi!" Another thing, people don't approach a person mowing the grass due to safety issues plus respect.

The same thing goes for sleeping. If you're sleeping, why do you need to wake up? Oh, can't hear the alarm clock? Well, which would you rather do... spend $50 on a vibrating alarm clock or $5,000 to fix the CI that you accidentally broke cuz you decided to sleep with it?

I got a slight problem with what you just said. I constantly end up having to mow the lawn and when I do I am ALWAYS interupted for directions on how to get to the highschool due to a football game/practice, ergo I have to wear the hearing aid. The sweat doesn't but me because I live in a humid enviroment nor does it ruin my HA. I haven't had an issue with that EVER.

As for sleeping it is very difficult to break a HA, let alone a CI. Mind you I know I don't have a CI yet but I have friends who do. They sleep with their CI all the time. Hasn't broken yet.

I personally think a person should wear their HA or CI at anytime they are comfortable doing. If they don't like mowing or sleeping w/o their HA/CI that's fine it's their choice.

Not if you want the dam thing out. When it goes all residual hearing goes. Bye, bye.

Then don't get one. It is not an issue with me...ever! I didn't get a CI to be wishy washy later on in life. I got one for keeps! Life is too short for could've, should've done this or that.

I got a slight problem with what you just said. I constantly end up having to mow the lawn and when I do I am ALWAYS interupted for directions on how to get to the highschool due to a football game/practice, ergo I have to wear the hearing aid. The sweat doesn't but me because I live in a humid enviroment nor does it ruin my HA. I haven't had an issue with that EVER.

Boy are you lucky, I usually would have problems with sweat working outside on a hot summer day and even if I worn a sweat resistance hearing aid I would have to run up to the car to understand what being said would have to turn up the aids. Most of the time I would not understand the question and sometimes the car radio gets in the way. I guessing that the moral of the story is that everone has their own comfort zone.

In my experience, I have not had any problems with walking through airport metal detectors, or placing my second CI processor through X-ray evaluation. The only thing to not do is use the t-coil mode as this will be picked up as pretty uncomfortable interference.

About soccer, probably not recommended. Any activity that involves extreme and fast movements, especially with a good chance for collisions may affect the internal nerve connections in your cochlea. I was strongly told to avoid roller coasters and playing contact sports.

One other thing is to be aware of excessive sweating, rain, fog, etc. as moisture can ruin internal components and prematurely corrode the microphone's receiving parts. Everyday humidity is no concern, using a good dehumidifier will keep it in good shape.

This will differ by person, but a map program will seem to dull over time. An occasional reprogramming will help keep the sound sharp and fresh as it should be.

Music appreciation will almost be difficult for those starting out, but the sound will eventually come through. The CI experience is a constant progression, you will never be stuck at a certain hearing level.

Boy are you lucky, I usually would have problems with sweat working outside on a hot summer day and even if I worn a sweat resistance hearing aid I would have to run up to the car to understand what being said would have to turn up the aids. Most of the time I would not understand the question and sometimes the car radio gets in the way. I guessing that the moral of the story is that everone has their own comfort zone.

I agree everyone does have their own comfort zone. Which why in my post I stated that everyone should do what they feel comfortable with.

In my experience, I have not had any problems with walking through airport metal detectors, or placing my second CI processor through X-ray evaluation. The only thing to not do is use the t-coil mode as this will be picked up as pretty uncomfortable interference.

About soccer, probably not recommended. Any activity that involves extreme and fast movements, especially with a good chance for collisions may affect the internal nerve connections in your cochlea. I was strongly told to avoid roller coasters and playing contact sports.

One other thing is to be aware of excessive sweating, rain, fog, etc. as moisture can ruin internal components and prematurely corrode the microphone's receiving parts. Everyday humidity is no concern, using a good dehumidifier will keep it in good shape.

This will differ by person, but a map program will seem to dull over time. An occasional reprogramming will help keep the sound sharp and fresh as it should be.

Music appreciation will almost be difficult for those starting out, but the sound will eventually come through. The CI experience is a constant progression, you will never be stuck at a certain hearing level.

wow....i have gotten multiple concussions from soccer and i have never even lost any hearing. im certaintly not going to stop playing soccer anytime soon.

I personally think a person should wear their HA or CI at anytime they are comfortable doing. If they don't like mowing or sleeping w/o their HA/CI that's fine it's their choice.

CIs maybe but i completely disagree about wearing a hearing aid to bed. it's grossly unhealthy not to give your ear a chance to air out, since HAs use an ear mold and CIs don't. i had to be implanted with a BAHA hearing aid because my regular BTE was giving me way too many ear infections. i couldn't imagine if i wore my BTE 24 hours a day and only took it out to take a shower... give your ear some air!!

I have to agree about all of the comments regarding generating static electricity. One of my students love to slide. One day he slid down but his leg got stuck so I went over to help move his leg so he could slide down - when I touched his leg, we both were shocked so badly that I literally jumped and fell over backwards. He cried out and immediately reached for his CI.

Poor kid! After that he smelled so good because I would wipe him all over with a sheet of Bounce (fabric dryer sheet) before we went out to play, lol!

CIs maybe but i completely disagree about wearing a hearing aid to bed. it's grossly unhealthy not to give your ear a chance to air out, since HAs use an ear mold and CIs don't. i had to be implanted with a BAHA hearing aid because my regular BTE was giving me way too many ear infections. i couldn't imagine if i wore my BTE 24 hours a day and only took it out to take a shower... give your ear some air!!

I am not suggesting to do it all the time. I am saying that occassionally it's fine to sleep with it. I do it accidently all the time. It happens. I was just saying that people should do what they are comfortable with. HA or CI should not restrict you from what you need to do or enjoy.

I also do agree with the fact that it is unhealthy for the ear to wear it 24/7 and that it does cause ear infections.

I am not suggesting to do it all the time. I am saying that occassionally it's fine to sleep with it. I do it accidently all the time. It happens. I was just saying that people should do what they are comfortable with. HA or CI should not restrict you from what you need to do or enjoy.

I also do agree with the fact that it is unhealthy for the ear to wear it 24/7 and that it does cause ear infections.

But it's not always possible for someone to always be comfortable with their CI on while they're sleeping. I've had the every once in a while occasion where I forgot to take off my CI and it was uncomfortable when I woke up. It would be sore behind my ear and the skin covering the metal would be numb.. So it's different for everyone. Some people can be comfortable with it and others can't.

There's not a possibility of breaking it, but there is a possibility for the cord to fray because it's moved around a lot on your head while you sleep. (for those who move around a lot in bed...)

I've tried to sleep with my CI on, but I can't seem to "shut down" my brain and sleep..the tiniest sound keeps me awake! I can only sleep once I turn it off/remove the processor.

I've tried to sleep with my CI on, but I can't seem to "shut down" my brain and sleep..the tiniest sound keeps me awake! I can only sleep once I turn it off/remove the processor.

I work overnight so sleep during the day. I evidently have an advantage over my co workers since they complain about the noise, the dog barking, the lawn mower, the truck going past, the phone ringing etc etc etc....I don't have that problem so sleep right through all that noise. :)

Back