what they don't tell you about CIs

My son's high school soccer team had several members with CI. They simply removed it during games or practice. Same with basketball and baseball.

I'm sure there are people without CI that have been hurt as well.....
That there is a risk does not mean you should not do it....

Yes i am aware of that... ! also Teenage girl does happy with her Ci! :D

but Well.... Her doctor tell her to quit a team! :(

Awesome of her can hearing My Horse Rosie's hoofbeats and Neighs!! I wish heard that too !!! :thumb:

haha okay thanks for clarifying, I think my friend might have exaggerated a bit about the risks! =)

:roll: Big fat whopping hairy deal! You win some and lose some. There are always trade offs in life. I much prefer to hear to worry about "losing" something that wasn't doing me much good anyway.

As neecy said, I have no idea why people think that keeping one's residual hearing is important.

Nods, my residual hearing was of little use to me and it was painful to wear my HA due to recruitment problems so I had nothing to lose and everything to gain. I don't regret it at all.

Though I'm not as sucessful as Sr171soars, I can do things with this CI that I never could do with my HA.

Being a mum, balloons are a big part of my life (!), haven't had any problems with them so far but if I do, I'll go to the clinic to get the programs reloaded.

!

regarding static, my understanding is the mapp that could be wiped would be the one you are using at the time of the zap. I've had my mp3 player connected while doing my job and have gotten zapped and have yet to lose any programs at all. Perhaps the Freedom is more static proof. I did have it shut down when I was working out and sweating with the Mp3 player connected, it came right back one but I did make sure it was put in the dryer when I got home.

i have another question that i didn't bring up with my friend. so what if i want to ride a roller coaster with OTS (over-the-shoulder) restraints? sometimes if it's a bumpy coaster, you bang your head on the sides of the restraint. i ALWAYS take off my BTE before i go on these rides anyway. but like, if i bonked the side of my head even with the CI removed, would that be bad?

I think I rode every roller coaster at Disneyland, California Screamer is one of my favorites. :) I just remove the processor, you will natually try to control your head on something like that so the possiblity of doing damage is pretty low I would think. I refuse to let an implant restict my fun on roller coasters....LOL

I n
I
I went to Airport and gave TSA my CI processor to inspect (he swabbed and put swab in detection machine and show up clean LOL) and I walked through metal detector and picked up my processor after that.. BUT when I was at Bradley Airport (Hartford CT). One TSA was mad at me for removing processor. He scolded me to leave it on and walk through metal detector. I explained that my Audiologist told me NOT to walk though metal detector WHILE wearing PROCESSOR!! He insist but I insist not to. I told him that it'll wipe out program. I'm sticking what my Audiologist says! Sorry!! He had a cold stare at me and I walked away... This was one of those stupid guy I've encoutered. I don't care if they jump or tasered on me just for refusing to leave processor on. They should respect my wish (I've never had problem at other airports). If you don't agree with me, sorry, I'm just being toughie.

Thanks
Catty

Catty I've been through the metal detectors at airports at least a dozen times and have never removed my processor. My audiologist has never said it was necessary. You might want to contact the company and see what they recommend. As for me I'll continue to walk through with it on. :)

My audie said that walking thru the metal detector while wearing the CI posed no problems to the map (and hasn't - I've been through many metal detectors since being implanted)

HOWEVER,

He DID tell me that if I was to put my CI through an airport scanner (the kind they make you put your carry-on luggage/purses/etc through) that COULD wipe the map because there could be static buildup in the machine, and if by any chance I was asked to do that, to request a visual inspection. I had to do that once, when I brought a spare processor with me to the States because my personal processor had been giving me problems.

hahaha of course you can play soccer. i have a ci and i have been contacted by some division one programs. nothing can hold you back except yourself.

I think I rode every roller coaster at Disneyland, California Screamer is one of my favorites. :) I just remove the processor, you will natually try to control your head on something like that so the possiblity of doing damage is pretty low I would think. I refuse to let an implant restict my fun on roller coasters....LOL
That's something that everyone should do. There are some people who have CI that absolutely have to have it on at all times. CIs are like hearing aids... they should be worn when necessary. Sometimes, other things are more important than having to hear.

For instance, one could argue that he needs to wear his hearing aids while being outside so that he can hear what goes on around him. However, if he was mowing the grass and heavy sweat would happen... then hearing aids are not absolutely necessary. Seriously, people don't interrupt a person mowing the grass. If it was a passer by, it would likely be a wave instead of a verbal "Hi!" Another thing, people don't approach a person mowing the grass due to safety issues plus respect.

The same thing goes for sleeping. If you're sleeping, why do you need to wake up? Oh, can't hear the alarm clock? Well, which would you rather do... spend $50 on a vibrating alarm clock or $5,000 to fix the CI that you accidentally broke cuz you decided to sleep with it?

hahaha of course you can play soccer. i have a ci and i have been contacted by some division one programs. Nothing can hold you back except yourself.
QFT
Lipreader4life... welcome....
Glad you are not being held back!

The same thing goes for sleeping. If you're sleeping, why do you need to wake up? Oh, can't hear the alarm clock? Well, which would you rather do... spend $50 on a vibrating alarm clock or $5,000 to fix the CI that you accidentally broke cuz you decided to sleep with it?

So, I agree that there's no reason not to take off one's CI now and then (although the more it's off while I'm awake, the less I get from it when it's on). However, it's worth pointing out that it's absolutely possibly to sleep with your CI on without damaging it! Other than my CI not staying on when I roll over to the side it's on, I'm not sure what the problem is - I certainly don't see any parts that would be easily damaged that way (as opposed to, say, glasses).

I don't do this on a regular basis, of course, since it's just not comfortable, but when I want a backup to my vibrating alarm ...

Someone I know wears his CI EVERY NIGHT to bed. He says he cannot NOT wear it. He HAS to hear his bed alarm. I have tried sleeping with the CI on (a nap), and it was just uncomfortable and the coil keeps popping off, and after about 10 mins, my head hurts from the pressure of sleeping on it (I sleep on my left side). So, yeah...

Besides, if I'm worried about burglars or sounds in the house..that's what my hearing boyfriend is for. LOL.

Someone I know wears his CI EVERY NIGHT to bed. He says he cannot NOT wear it. He HAS to hear his bed alarm. I have tried sleeping with the CI on (a nap), and it was just uncomfortable and the coil keeps popping off, and after about 10 mins, my head hurts from the pressure of sleeping on it (I sleep on my left side). So, yeah...

Besides, if I'm worried about burglars or sounds in the house..that's what my hearing boyfriend is for. LOL.
That's a typical excuse for anyone who has to sleep with their hearing aids (or CI).

They can simply buy a vibrating or lighted alarm clock. :)

:roll: Big fat whopping hairy deal! You win some and lose some. There are always trade offs in life. I much prefer to hear to worry about "losing" something that wasn't doing me much good anyway.

As neecy said, I have no idea why people think that keeping one's residual hearing is important.

Not if you want the dam thing out. When it goes all residual hearing goes. Bye, bye.

Not if you want the dam thing out. When it goes all residual hearing goes. Bye, bye.

But the point is still moot if there was not enough residual hearing in the first place to be of any benefit! Even if I were to want to have my CI removed (which will never happen) the residual hearing I had was giving me NO benefit whatsoever, so I'd be no worse off than I was before I got my CI.

But the point is still moot if there was not enough residual hearing in the first place to be of any benefit! Even if I were to want to have my CI removed (which will never happen) the residual hearing I had was giving me NO benefit whatsoever, so I'd be no worse off than I was before I got my CI.

I still have residuel hearing in my implanted ear, would it be much use if I sould for some strange reason want to remove the implant? Probably only for environmental sounds. I like how I hear now so I doubt I'd take it out , I would probably implant the other ear if there was a medical reason to remove the implant I already have.

Neecy,

Agree. This is a red herring argument focusing on the loss of residual hearing that was not providing any utility to the profoundly deaf person, thus the need for HAs or cochlear implants.
Rick

Back