what pisses me off...

Okay, I apologize, I'm just trying to be fair on both sides, but I'll be quiet :-/

blueberrykiss65 said:
I'm not resenting others, and i will say that the implant does work, but i just dont like how people portray getting the implant as an automatic sucess when it is the farthest thing from true.

Er...there are others like myself that it did work pretty much right off the bat. Actually, I had the speech part down the next day or so. By the end of the first week, it was pretty good. I did have to adjust to hearing so much input and that took longer. Also, the "loudness" was another thing too that takes getting used to. Cars and Trucks are blinking loud...and sometimes still are. I'm just saying that it can be true but not for all people. I know as I been there and done that.

Just remember the speed of success varies tremendously from person to person and mine and some others are probably atypical. I would never tell somebody that they will do as well as I did. I have no idea how they will do. There are some indicators that can sort of point out how one might do but it isn't a guarantee. But I will encourage them by telling them it does work for most people given time. Yes, there are those it doesn't work too well or even not at all for whatever reason.

I guess what ticks me off is the opposite problem, "Why is it so hard for others to accept that it was for me a great experience right off the bat?" I certainly don't "lord" it over anybody and I'm nobody special either. I count my blessings everyday that it went so well.

First of all... Good Vent :thumb:

blueberrykiss65 said:
is reading all these threads claiming the CI works miracles immediately.

Now I understand that alot of you have never really heard and functioned well with a hearing aid so this would be a different expirence

Yes I do beleive you because many CI users said the same thing as you because it's a logical that it's too early to say that CI is a miracle until you familiar with it then....... It would take months to familiar with sounds.

but for all you people considering getting the CI and you depend on your hearing aids, watch out. Because it is so frusterating and upsetting. it takes a long time to get used to this 'metallic' sound.

Your description match 2 former hearing guys whom my hubby met at Rehab. clinic last year. They said the same as you about "metallic" sound which total different as original hearing. They have to train how to hear the sounds which the sounds is total different as original sounds.

I would type more but I'm pissed off after reading this one girls article she wrote for her doctor. it pisses me off that she makes getting the CI a mircle. turn it on and it automatically works. The reality is, it doesnt fucking work that way

Remember, the children learn quickly to familiar anything than adult that's why CI is right for the children (not babies/toddlers). That's how Neecy is one of them who willing to learn anything and had CI when she was 9 years old which long time. I know CI works on some CI users or not only if they are WILLING to learn anything...

I see nothing wrong if anyone who share their positive or negative experience about CI which it's good education for us.

I know it's not necassary for me to have CI because I am being deaf for long time. It would be different story if I'm teenager. Remember, everyone are different.

I may just be harboring an immense amount of anger after just recently getting my CI last month and expecting a miracle and not having anyone tell me that it is ALOT of work and determination to adjust to the new lifestyle of a CI implant and the sounds next to the normal digital hearing aids.

Unfortunlately yes, you train to develop hear sounds and also speech development as well which it's too much that's why I decide CI is not for me. It's every's choice if they want to have CI and willing to train speech and hear development.

neecy said:
Blueberrykisses, I want to take the opportunity to point out: when I was researching CI's and after I got implanted, my expectations were 100% different than what had happened. I had expected it would take months (even possibly years) to be able to understand speech without lipreading, to be able to use a phone, or understand a TV without closed captioning.

PLEASE - read my CI blog http://bionicgal.blogspot.com/2005_04_01_bionicgal_archive.html - go to the very bottom- that's the FIRST post I made, and read on from there - you will see that my expectations were VERY minimal, I did not want to disappoint myself in case things didn't turn out as well as I hoped they might.

Believe me - the person who was most amazed at my activation was not my audie. not my mother. It was ME!!!! I was shocked that I was hearing and understanding what I did- again PLEASE - read my blog- you will see through a YEAR worth of posts - exactly how my experiences were beyond anything I had expected.

wow what a amazing story you wrote about your CI. Thats totally neat how you can hear the windchimes. It really is, I waer hearing aids for the moment and can't hear worth crap to be honest but love to hear the windchimes. I'm glad it all worked out for you.... :)

Thank you Cassbugs :)

Leibling just to clarify something - I went deaf at age 9. I didn't get my CI until I was 33.

blueberrykiss65 said:
is reading all these threads claiming the CI works miracles immediately.

Now I understand that alot of you have never really heard and functioned well with a hearing aid so this would be a different expirence

but for all you people considering getting the CI and you depend on your hearing aids, watch out. Because it is so frusterating and upsetting. it takes a long time to get used to this 'metallic' sound.

I would type more but I'm pissed off after reading this one girls article she wrote for her doctor. it pisses me off that she makes getting the CI a mircle. turn it on and it automatically works. The reality is, it doesnt fucking work that way

I may just be harboring an immense amount of anger after just recently getting my CI last month and expecting a miracle and not having anyone tell me that it is ALOT of work and determination to adjust to the new lifestyle of a CI implant and the sounds next to the normal digital hearing aids.
Interesting post. Thanks for sharing this. If I ever lost my hearing, I'd stay deaf--I don't want to depend on some device to hear (and it helps that I'm a fluent signer...)

but i just dont like how people portray getting the implant as an automatic sucess when it is the farthest thing from true.
Not to turn this into a flame war, but I do think that the orgional poster has a good point! Some people/advocates almost seem to be selling it. Like in a "it's the LATEST GREATEST MOST MODREN thing!" If the CI was more presented as just another option, just like hearing aids then I wouldn't have any trouble with it......but it does seem to me that some people almost seem to be selling it!

Back