what pisses me off...

blueberrykiss65

Reaction score
is reading all these threads claiming the CI works miracles immediately.

Now I understand that alot of you have never really heard and functioned well with a hearing aid so this would be a different expirence

but for all you people considering getting the CI and you depend on your hearing aids, watch out. Because it is so frusterating and upsetting. it takes a long time to get used to this 'metallic' sound.

I would type more but I'm pissed off after reading this one girls article she wrote for her doctor. it pisses me off that she makes getting the CI a mircle. turn it on and it automatically works. The reality is, it doesnt fucking work that way

I may just be harboring an immense amount of anger after just recently getting my CI last month and expecting a miracle and not having anyone tell me that it is ALOT of work and determination to adjust to the new lifestyle of a CI implant and the sounds next to the normal digital hearing aids.

I can understand your resentment, although, you took the 'first' step to make such a decision and being committed to have a CI implant....it does take time and dedication to make it work....but to harbor ill feelings toward others for how or what they may think about CI is adding fuel to the long standing debate, bottom line, having this sort of resentment isn't helping you deal with your own frustrations and struggles--perhaps ease back a bit and maybe carrying less stress will go a long ways for you whereas eventually you'll be able to enjoy the benefits of having the CI.

Give yourself a chance and others the chance as well, for everyone, each experience is unique and different, please do bear that in mind as well! ;)

This thread holds potential for some flame-wars, belittling, finger-pointing, bear in mind that I'll be 'watching' this thread AND please do respect one another as you would want to be respected! Thank you!!

~RR

Roadrunner said:
I can understand your resentment, although, you took the 'first' step to make such a decision and being committed to have a CI implant....it does take time and dedication to make it work....but to harbor ill feelings toward others for how or what they may think about CI is adding fuel to the long standing debate, bottom line, having this sort of resentment isn't helping you deal with your own frustrations and struggles--perhaps ease back a bit and maybe carrying less stress will go a long ways for you whereas eventually you'll be able to enjoy the benefits of having the CI.

Give yourself a chance and others the chance as well, for everyone, each experience is unique and different, please do bear that in mind as well! ;)

This thread holds potential for some flame-wars, belittling, finger-pointing, bear in mind that I'll be 'watching' this thread AND please do respect one another as you would want to be respected! Thank you!!

~RR

I'm not resenting others, and i will say that the implant does work, but i just dont like how people portray getting the implant as an automatic sucess when it is the farthest thing from true.

I can understand your frustration even through I may have not yet experiences what it may be like once I'm implanted with CI, but I knew it wasn't some sort of miracle or cure but while hearing aids may not offer enough benefit to some people with severe to profound hearing loss and the implants provides useful hearing and improved communication ability to the implant user and is a safe treatment for appropriate candidates severe to profound hearing loss, If an individual has been deaf for a long period of time their brain is unable to interpret sound...

From what I've heard that once a child is implanted in the early age, has more benifits and successful than those who implanted in the later years, however it takes alot of patient and therapy is required as well as time for the brain to adapt to hearing new sounds and etc but in most cases they may still need audiological training and speech therapy etc...

I'm sorry that you were expecting a miracle once you were implanted with CI, but that not the case, some CI users may not find them not very helpful or might have difficulty understanding where the sounds are coming from while the others feel successful with their cochlear implants....

I am so sorry about what you are going through.
I do hope that things will work out for you in the near future :hug:

I understand how you are going through, Most Deaf and those with hearing loss describe CI a procedure that can improve hearing in ways that conventional hearing aids cannot. But remember not every person will experience the same method as other people out there who are wearing CI, That's the risk I refused to take. If I wanted a CI today and if it doesn't help me, like some who are having trouble with it too, then it's gotta be a waste of my time.

Personally a ex friend of mine, who is currently wearing CI for past 4 years have no experience so much picking up sounds, and still cannot make out the sounds either. People with cochlear implants require months or years of training, it doesn't work just like as a miracle or happen overnight. ;)

blueberrykiss65 said:
is reading all these threads claiming the CI works miracles immediately.

Now I understand that alot of you have never really heard and functioned well with a hearing aid so this would be a different expirence

but for all you people considering getting the CI and you depend on your hearing aids, watch out. Because it is so frusterating and upsetting. it takes a long time to get used to this 'metallic' sound.

I would type more but I'm pissed off after reading this one girls article she wrote for her doctor. it pisses me off that she makes getting the CI a mircle. turn it on and it automatically works. The reality is, it doesnt fucking work that way

I may just be harboring an immense amount of anger after just recently getting my CI last month and expecting a miracle and not having anyone tell me that it is ALOT of work and determination to adjust to the new lifestyle of a CI implant and the sounds next to the normal digital hearing aids.

I'm sorry that my CI article upset you so much, but it was 100% truthful. I also mentioned that MY experience is NOT THE NORM.

WHY did it work so well for me? I don't know! I stated facts though - on the second day of my activation I was understanding full sentences spoken slowly and clearly without looking at the speaker. She had me call her office from a different phone in the building, and then she recited the days of the week, and had me repeat them, and we talked a little more - it was a bit harder that way but I as able to understand most of what she said.

*MY* experience is just that - MINE. The article said "My CI Story" - it didn't say "This is what CI's will do for everybody."

I will not feel ashamed for sharing my personal experiences, nor will I feel bad because my experience has been better than the norm. Everybody is different. I was able to hear for 9 years before going deaf. I'm sure those 9 years have a huge role to play in my understanding speech when my CI was activated, even though it was 23 years later.

blueberrykiss65 said:
I'm not resenting others, and i will say that the implant does work, but i just dont like how people portray getting the implant as an automatic sucess when it is the farthest thing from true.

Everybody is different! Everybody reacts differently to an implant. My story was MY story, nobody else's. Should I feel bad and hide how well my CI worked for me for fear of other people thinking it can be that easy for some individuals?

Roadrunner said:

~RR

We think that u supposed to get CI. :giggle:

I know she's talking about me, and no this won't turn into a flame war, roadrunner, so no worries (from me at least) but I will point out that everything I said in my story was truthful (I can even give the names/addresses of my doctor's/audie's if people don't believe it so they can verify it themselves or send them a copy of the newsletter once its printed - one of my audie's wife does it). I won't lie for the sake of not "getting people's hopes up".

My story is MY story.

end of story *grin*

Everyone with a CI is very different. This is what is hard to understand. They expect similarity to another CIer, which is so not true. Again, if there are a few people claiming it works right away, it's true FOR THAT ONE PERSON who is saying it. There are a few that blessingly do not have to work that hard. I have talked to these people, and it's not a lie. Everyone considering a CI needs to do a lot of research just like any other procedures to make sure you are getting your facts straight. I will advice you to concentrate on yourself because you are truly unique in your hearing needs just like every other CI implantees. Don't concentrate in what you cannot hear. Have you started getting therapy? Have you started to read books on tapes mostly books for children? Or simple sounds? I feel that will help you greatly. A therapist will show you what you need to work on and help you.

Hi Blueberrykiss65,

Sorry to hear about your frustrations! I've heard from reading countless CI experiences that your experience at this point in time is pretty normal and that Neecy's is unusual. It would be sooo cool if that happened to me (I'm waiting for my surgery) but I'm not expecting it, in fact I'm not expecting to even feel remotely happy with what I'm hearing until the 3 months mark.

Why not come and post more with us in the adult experiences thread? I would be interested to see how you get on in the long term and we are not going to push you away if it doesn't quite work out for you.

Blueberrykisses, I want to take the opportunity to point out: when I was researching CI's and after I got implanted, my expectations were 100% different than what had happened. I had expected it would take months (even possibly years) to be able to understand speech without lipreading, to be able to use a phone, or understand a TV without closed captioning.

PLEASE - read my CI blog http://bionicgal.blogspot.com/2005_04_01_bionicgal_archive.html - go to the very bottom- that's the FIRST post I made, and read on from there - you will see that my expectations were VERY minimal, I did not want to disappoint myself in case things didn't turn out as well as I hoped they might.

Believe me - the person who was most amazed at my activation was not my audie. not my mother. It was ME!!!! I was shocked that I was hearing and understanding what I did- again PLEASE - read my blog- you will see through a YEAR worth of posts - exactly how my experiences were beyond anything I had expected.

neecy said:
I'm sorry that my CI article upset you so much, but it was 100% truthful. I also mentioned that MY experience is NOT THE NORM.

The creater of this thread did not name you, nor say anything about specific thread..

^Angel^ said:
The creater of this thread did not name you, nor say anything about specific thread..

Go to neecy's profile and find the threads she has started, you will find "MY CI Story."

^Angel^ said:

She didn't have to - I'm the only one who has posted a personal CI story that was written for my Doctor, in the last while, and I know its me she was talking about thats why I'm trying to clear up misunderstandings.

It doesn't matter, she did not name no one, and yet that doesn't give anyone a right to start something when the creater of this thread has no purpose of pointing this to anyone....

IceCream said:
Go to neecy's profile and find the threads she has started, you will find "MY CI Story."

But the creater of the thread didn't say it was from the thread of " My CI Story " and beside I don't want to get involved, I'm just posting what I have read above, and everyone has a right to express their feelings without naming a member or a thread..

Please I would hate this thread turn into one big flame, but can we please at least keep the names out of this?... :angel:

R2D2 said:
Why not come and post more with us in the adult experiences thread? I would be interested to see how you get on in the long term and we are not going to push you away if it doesn't quite work out for you.

I agree, I would like that very much too...

read my post - I assured roadrunner that even though I know she was talking about me it would NOT turn into a "flame" thread -at least not by me. I was trying to clear up misunderstanding - and knowing it was me she was talking about, how can I NOT clear it up without pointing that the experiences she was talking about - were mine, and I acknowledge they were unusual, but real. The only other way would be to talk about myself in the Third Person and I dont' feel comfortable doing it that way.

Back