What kind job deaf have?

Milwaukee

Reaction score
Well now I am unemployed for 2 months. And I am in college now.

Try get SSI but too much for me try get so decide gave up.

I been watch some deaf people work on computer stuff it seem they earn lot money than I do.

Problem with me
I am very strange deaf person. I am mechanic but one big problem is they refused hired me due deaf. They would try make excused say we need person that can communicate to customer with no problem.

For now I am DONE with fix cars I can't get job. I am very mad with myself now
girl_werewolf.gif

So I would like to hear what anyone work now.

Please post what job you have and how you get job? What it requirement like degrees or certifications.

But I was wondered about work for Expedite company which similar to UPS or DHL company but you own your cargo van and shipping stuff they pay $.70 every miles.

Sorry to hear your frustration,

DHL is no longer in business within United States. They gone out of business last January... (Surprise, eh?)

I know what you mean, I was without job for 18 years til I decided start work for Pizza hut for short time, then move up to machine shop, been in production for 6 years til pah work for company that do business for Deaf and Hearing and I am loving it. Of course, my work involves in computer networking.

Try to finish school if you can. Best of luck! :)

Example, try and find a minmum hour pay job, such I used to work for McDonald's but now I am a public servant (IT Production support officer) for the australian government.....loving it.

Oh that explain why junkyard near me have 100 DHL vans that have 100,000 miles or less.

Well have 3 jobs that was WORST $7.00 per hour for HARD JOB landscape, clean, and fix during summer 100oF.

Quit after 4 months it was hard on my health

#2 job
at Collision shop I do enjoy but pay is WORST $7.15 plus it too hot inside building
Boss layoff after his son death.

Work at public School I WILL NEVER WORK FOR THAT SCHOOL AGAIN!
$7.50 for custodian but keep in mind it actual hard than you think. several engineers is happy how I do clean but 1 engineer not happy and hate me that how I got fired after 7 months of work.

That was 1 year of 3 job. I am 18 years old. I try find job I want but they require 21 years old

Those 3 jobs awful. 1 month I would say average $500 dollars but pay gas that almost $70 VS SSI you stay home and get $647

If they can't hire you as a mechanical, then be your own boss by finishing college degrees that requires certificate for mechanic. :)

Deaf people can be an mechanic since they rely to these vibrations and observations in the car reponses.

I could

but for my work now
is repair door closers

It hard when customers say no it look it work fine to me. When I show them see screws loose or door closer is leak or slam hard. They say it been do that many years They tell me lied.

Try find doors that is broke that how I make money install new door closer from my stock shelf.

This Winter I been plow with F250 that is good job but not my truck so friend pay me $30 per day for plow.

Who says job should be very easy?

Actually, if you work your azz off in the beginning, it gets easier later on.

Your still young, grab that opportunity, because once you get older, you won't be able to go back to youthful... Im stuck and can't go back but glad I had to work my azz off. Wish my company started long time ago, but oh well.

Also, please keep in mind, this economy sucks big time... In fact we are in great recession, so finding job are harder than normal but not impossible, so don't give up too early.

Next time, be persistance, do not quit. Because quitting shows lack of persitance toward future employers. Most employers hates quitters, trust me... Getting fired is better than quit! I know it sounded crazy but its the truth.

Who says job should be very easy?

Actually, if you work your azz off in the beginning, it gets easier later on.

Your still young, grab that opportunity, because once you get older, you won't be able to go back to youthful... Im stuck and can't go back but glad I had to work my azz off. Wish my company started long time ago, but oh well.

Also, please keep in mind, this economy sucks big time... In fact we are in great recession, so finding job are harder than normal but not impossible, so don't give up too early.

Next time, be persistance, do not quit. Because quitting shows lack of persitance toward future employers. Most employers hates quitters, trust me... Getting fired is better than quit! I know it sounded crazy but its the truth.

He's right and let me give you an idea, don't quit while you're on the current job while YOU are looking for a job, if you got a good solid job while on a crappy job, QUIT the crappy job WHILE you're on the good new job, it helps you move over to the new job smoothly than ending up unemployed for a little while longer. I did this safely, I worked my azz off from McDonald's while searching for an IT job, and I sure did ;)

I'm not sure this is the point of the discussion...but isn't it illegal to refuse someone a job because they are deaf?

Yes, refusing is illegal. But the problem is proving that the employer actually refusing just because person is Deaf or whatever disability they got. It has to be hard written showing their true intentions.

Most employer will NOT wite down clearly on paper explaining why they can't hire them. Writing down creates evidence so they use verbal instead and get away.

I'm not sure this is the point of the discussion...but isn't it illegal to refuse someone a job because they are deaf?

Problem with me
I am very strange deaf person. I am mechanic but one big problem is they refused hired me due deaf. They would try make excused say we need person that can communicate to customer with no problem.

That's discrimination. You do not need to hear in order to be a mechanic, I would know that for matter of fact, I've took my car up to a mechanic, who doesn't speak proper English, but he sure can perform so well on cars. He would type everything up and show me what's wrong with the car, and what needs to be fixed. And I'm most certain, You could do the same also. ;)

There are many employers who are not so ready to give a first chance to any deaf or hard of hearing people who can do the task on the job. They got their head full of negatives, thinks the worst of deaf people and they are doing this by their ignorance plain and simple.

There are deaf people out there that has jobs as a teacher, a biologist, a carpenter, a librarian, a social worker, a lawyer, a dentist, a doctor, a nurse... I could go on and on. They all were given a first chance to prove themselves that they can do the task on the job, and they did show them what they've made of. they were not needed to rely on their own hearing capability to get the job done. ;)

:gpost:
That's discrimination. You do not need to hear in order to be a mechanic, I would know that for matter of fact, I've took my car up to a mechanic, who doesn't speak proper English, but he sure can perform so well on cars. He would type everything up and show me what's wrong with the car, and what needs to be fixed. And I'm most certain, You could do the same also. ;)

There are many employers who are not so ready to give a first chance to any deaf or hard of hearing people who can do the task on the job. They got their head full of negatives, thinks the worst of deaf people and they are doing this by their ignorance plain and simple.

There are deaf people out there that has jobs as a teacher, a biologist, a carpenter, a librarian, a social worker, a lawyer, a dentist, a doctor, a nurse... I could go on and on. They all were given a first chance to prove themselves that they can do the task on the job, and they did show them that they could do it, they were not needed to rely on their own hearing capability to get the job done. ;)

I have been in a job for a while now that I hate. Yet I'm doing it because it earns me money and I don't have to rely on others. There are so many other jobs I wish I could have but it seems like employers are not interested -- especially the second they find out I'm deaf.

As for you, Milwaukee - I can't imagine how your deafness should be a factor in getting a mechanic-type job. Obviously the people you are working for/interviewing with are not deaf-friendly. Keep on looking, or start your own business. You clearly have mechanical/car skills! Good luck! :)

Seriously, with this economy climate, the car repair shop is booming because more people can't afford buy new car or send car to dealership, also kept their old clunker longer than planned.

Or how about starting work at auto parts stores, they are now in hot demand. AutoZone is enjoying booming business.

There are deaf people out there that has jobs as a teacher, a biologist, a carpenter, a librarian, a social worker, a lawyer, a dentist, a doctor, a nurse... I could go on and on. They all were given a first chance to prove themselves that they can do the task on the job, and they did show them what they've made of. they were not needed to rely on their own hearing capability to get the job done. ;)

1+ :gpost:

Well when I see lot job open for mechainc at craiglist.

But they would say
We need mechanic and need have no problem with communicate

When I email them
then they tell me sent resume. Resume I make when I have class that was bored but lot managers say good resumes but they not hired now.

after that no respond that why I am angry. Do you know how many posts I email I say almost 300 posts and same thingy.

I found job but it 100 miles away and they tell me they would hired me but I told it too far for me 100 miles mean I would have put 1,000 miles every week.

My far job was 40 miles during summer with gas $4.00. Cost me lot than job worth.

Well talk to interpeter at college they know some deaf people work on computers so I will check them if I have time.

Cheri
I am happy you say that.
I have see some owners talk like I can't have deaf people here I could lose my business license if that deaf people do wrong way fix brakes or engines.

But for now lot shop not hired.

I wish I work for expedion moving but they told me I need 1999 or up years cargo van but I have 95 so that make me mad now.

I could go to computer class and get +A cerfication in computer so I could get job and make $15 per hour easy.

What you mean?

I am still look for jobs.

It seem good job are 100 miles away where I live. I could drive 100 miles but not with my geo tracker it too slow on highway.

Look like I need study computer stuff before try get +A certification.

What you mean?

I am still look for jobs.

It seem good job are 100 miles away where I live. I could drive 100 miles but not with my geo tracker it too slow on highway.

Look like I need study computer stuff before try get +A certification.

Well, it sounds like you're still swarming around looking for a job, but right now, what's 'STOPPING' you now?

Back