What jobs can I do?? suggestions please!

IC fan

Reaction score
Hello!
I did not become hoh untill I was 22 years old ( i am 27 now)...I went to school for my administrative assistant degree, and now I am an office manager. I do not recive any benefits from this job, and they pay is not great at all. I actually left this job once, but got fired from my other job for the sole fact I couldnt communicate well on the phone.
I would love to start a new job where I would not be afraid everytime the phone rings, etc. I am even thinking of going back to school, but I have no idea what for, since I am afraid my hearing loss will effect what I try to do.
I am trying to gather suggestions from individuals who are deaf or hoh on what jobs that they do....what they went to school for, ect.

If u got fired from your job because of your hearing loss, that is a violation of the ADA law and u can sue. U have the right to keep your job. They can make accodomations such as using emails and etc instead of the phone.

I was born with a profound deafness and I have held different kinds of jobs from working at a fast food restaurant, as a auto coder for an insurance company, courier for a construction company, filing clerk, mail clerk, teacher's aide, resident counselor at a group home and now a teacher.

There are so many things you can do. We have so many members here on AD working in the field of technology, chemistry, law, social work, and many more.

Last edited:
Dog groomer in Iowa Petsmart hires lots of groomers, and trains them and it pays well.

Contact your local Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation. They can not only mediate for you to get the accommodations you need on the job, they can provide you with assessments and testing to see which jobs best suit your skills, qualifications, and interests. They can also assist you with additional training and schooling. Be certain to let them know when you make an appointment that you need to see a CRC that is experienced in dealing with individuals who are deaf/hoh.

I was told today that I was never going to get a job because I'm hearing impaired. As rudely as it was stated, and as offensive as it was, I can't help but thinking that it might be one of the primary causes as to why I am not able to find a part-time job for the summer.

I don't know who told you that, but you might want to let them know that many, many deaf/hoh people work every day. No reason that you should not be able to.

I was told today that I was never going to get a job because I'm hearing impaired. As rudely as it was stated, and as offensive as it was, I can't help but thinking that it might be one of the primary causes as to why I am not able to find a part-time job for the summer.

same reasons as hearings - damn recession :mad2:

I'm "hearing-impaired" and I'm employed full-time with benefit... and I probably makes more than him/her and so do several other deaf ADers in here. Looks like whoever told you that is in for a shock!

shocker-2.jpg

same reasons as hearings - damn recession :mad2:

I'm "hearing-impaired" and I'm employed full-time with benefit... and I probably makes more than him/her and so do several other deaf ADers in here. Looks like whoever told you that is in for a shock!

shocker-2.jpg

It's so weird when you keep signing the number "7" when you get outraged! :P

The person who stated such is not a very smart person, putting it lightly. :P So that's why I am not too worried about what he said, but I do think I agree with you when you say that he'd be surprised. I live in a small town and I find that small towns often have more ignorant people because they are not exposed to the multiculturalism of major cities... not meant to offend my town (which I do love living in) or anyone else that lives in a small town like mine.

I would love to work in a garden nursery with plants, or in a job where I can make - or help others make - beautiful things. The soul or heart is what assists in those jobs, and the soul does not have ears to speak of. Heck, look at Beethoven! :D

So i've been thinking about this post alot and here are some of the suggestions i came up with:

Firefighting (Fire seasons almost here)
Firefighting campcrew
Computers, website building, other online buisinesses

I'll try to think of some more later, also if you google it you come up with some job openings

I have had several jobs. Ive been a reporter, a janitor, an EMT, a nursing assistant, poultry processor, substitute teacher, enumerator for US Census, cashier, dog sitter, dog trainer.

I am deaf in left ear and HOH in right. I understand your frustrations about not handling the phone well and Shel is right your employer should have not been able to fire you if your hearing loss was made known to them and they find that you do not answer the phone well. They should have made accomodations for you by allowing you to correspond via email.

Presently I am looking to take a paraprofessional exam within the next few weeks so that I can become a teacher's aide.

Back