What Job or Career are you in?

My husband is starting his cake designing business on the side. Didnt cost him a dime and so far he is doing well. He is developing a portfolio, business cards, and most important, word of mouth. No cost! :)

Thats great your hubby is doing a cake designing business and I wish him well with all the success. I know some nice cakes make me :drool:. Is oversea order available? :giggle:

I think it's a shame they didn't reimburse you for your time and your personal purchases to teach their students. Ack!

Do you still have Creative Hands? If so, what all does it comprise, if you don't mind? How is that website doing? (You know me by now and my obessession with websites, right? ;) )

Do you think in the future you could combine the two somehow?

Do you expect to spend more money on your businss(es) or was the start-up cost sufficient?

I never said they didn't reimburse me for my time. I make $67 per hour when I teach at Oldfields. ;) For the materials, it's ok that they didn't reimburse me for the books, I like that they belong to me and I did write them off on my taxes.

Yes I still have Creative Hands. I don't really have the time or interest to teach hearing parents with hearing children. I am in a transitional time right now because school is coming to an end and I will be out of work. I do not plan on going back in the fall because my son will be home and will require all of my time. The website is still up and I get contacted frequently from people who are interested in ASL and want lessons. I am thinking about doing web classroom style lessons so I don't have to drive anywhere but can still teach people who want to learn. Haven't decided on that though, just thinking out loud. Come to think of it, there's a lot of people here who could do that kind of business. Charge an hourly fee and host web lessons. Could be something good, ya know?

I'm not going to spend any more money on that business. I have all the materials so I'm good.

Yep, I meant your time of going to purchase the materials and picking out the perfect ones for you, and not being reimbursed for that. Sucks. Sorry.

I know what you mean about teaching the baby sign language. It got old fast with teaching.

However I do have a website about baby sign language which all the info is free for parents wishing to learn.

I will also be setting up a website soon ALL completely focussed on Deaf babies and children. Hearing parents need to know this so much about their Deaf child, so I hope to give a lot of suggestions without bias on how to communicate effectively with your Deaf child.

Web/online lessons are GREAT. If you saw the keyword searches for this, it would blow your mind, and yep, there is a lot of profit to be made in this arena.

I believe Bob Vicars site Lifeprint has some lessons, but not sure if you need to pay.

Jolanta's Handspeak is also private now which cost money to join. Very wise decision on their parts.

With web lessons, you can set up your own lessons on something like a youtube video, and set it to private for only those who paid can see it. Or something very similar.

That way, you can leave it on auto-pilot and don't really have to use a lot of time

Set video to be released when paid for, and reap benefits monthly, weekly, and then daily. :D

But yes that's an excellent idea that many here can do.

I realized when I asked the question:

"Did it take a lot of money to set up your business"? I should have defined what 'a lot' is, as to some people $1,000 is a lot and to others a 'mere' $100 is A LOT.

Who else has their own business or really wants to? :) :)

Love to hear from others also! :)

I am in a transitional time right now because school is coming to an end and I will be out of work. I do not plan on going back in the fall because my son will be home and will require all of my time..

I understand completely about the transitional time period. I've had a few of those myself. :)

Of course that is a wonderful decision and yes your time will be less. Which is even more important to get a good foundation all set and still moving.

I do hope that your son does much better with each and everyday.

Thinking about how your time would be halfed, reminds me of this article I read about a dentist who fired his clients, worked half the time he used to, and doubled his profits.

If you (or any one else reading this) are interested, I can post that link here to lead to the article.

It's short and sweet, but makes you think about the decisions you make with your very own business (home or away from home).

To really do what you love, and maximize the benefits.

Wishing everyone the best in their jobs, careers, self-employments, and job searches!

Come to think of it, there's a lot of people here who could do that kind of business. Charge an hourly fee and host web lessons. Could be something good, ya know?

Could very well be, depending on how this is set up.
If you prefer interaction it's a differet set up than it is on setting it up on auto-pilot.

By the way, you gave me your VP and I called several times and sent e-mail.

LOL! You know what the funny thing is? I dont like cake at all. I prefer brownies. :giggle:

Thanks for the words of encouragement. :)

Shel, wonder how long has he started this business?

Does he think it's coming along at a great pace?

I wonder about this as some others get frustrated if money doesn't happen right away.

Perhaps this is for another thread though about those who own and run their own business (or want to at least).

Point me there if so. :)

I love hearing about all of our different jobs. When hearies ask: Can Deaf people . . . ? Can Deaf people work? I can tell them the long list of jobs that I've seen so far.

Shel, wonder how long has he started this business?

Does he think it's coming along at a great pace?

I wonder about this as some others get frustrated if money doesn't happen right away.

Perhaps this is for another thread though about those who own and run their own business (or want to at least).

Point me there if so. :)

I love hearing about all of our different jobs. When hearies ask: Can Deaf people . . . ? Can Deaf people work? I can tell them the long list of jobs that I've seen so far.

He was working two jobs and just quit his 2nd job at the deaf group home on the weekends about a month ago so he is just starting out. Of course, money doesnt happen overnight unless we win the lottery! LOL!

He was working two jobs and just quit his 2nd job at the deaf group home on the weekends about a month ago so he is just starting out. Of course, money doesnt happen overnight unless we win the lottery! LOL!

Wow! Two jobs take up so much of valuable time. Glad he was able to quit one of them.

LOL yes lottery is the best way to get rich quick. ;)

We should all be so lucky. :D

So he just starting out! Again I wish you both the best in success with this!

There is a very nice market for this and a continuing market as weddings, graduation parties, family reunions, etc.

Just need to know where to advertise so you can start getting that word of mouth referals!

Again, best wishes! :)

Should we start a new thread about those who own or wish to own their own businesses?

I think this is related to this particular thread, but if it's not, please feel free to start brand new thread. :)

Should we start a new thread about those who own or wish to own their own businesses?

I think this is related to this particular thread, but if it's not, please feel free to start brand new thread. :)

It depends on the OP but I think this is an old thread and that the OP doesnt come to AD anymore. I could be wrong. :dunno2:

It is somewhat related to this particular thread but it also veers to a different attention such as having a home based business. This thread is mostly aimed at members who have various careers, nor for not just only for the business aspect.

So, with that, I have no problem if this discussion continues in this thread but I'd suggest a new thread is created to clear out the attention. It'd be a start for those who wants a home based business or for their own business. Feel free to either continue this discussion in this thread or create a new thread. :)

shel90, Please read my post above at #101!! Thanks! You have response to others but no mine. ummmm

Wow! Sounds classified. How on earth do you get a position like this? :cool:

I started out as a data entry operator and I finish the job too quick. Then they have to find me something else to do and put me in as a records officer which is pretty much the same thing as information officer which I am currently doing. I have been doing it for almost 5 yrs. :)

It is somewhat related to this particular thread but it also veers to a different attention such as having a home based business. This thread is mostly aimed at members who have various careers, nor for not just only for the business aspect.

So, with that, I have no problem if this discussion continues in this thread but I'd suggest a new thread is created to clear out the attention. It'd be a start for those who wants a home based business or for their own business. Feel free to either continue this discussion in this thread or create a new thread. :)

Jolie, thank you! I will certainly try a new thread. :)
Appreciate your time taken to respond very much. :ty:

I started out as a data entry operator and I finish the job too quick. Then they have to find me something else to do and put me in as a records officer which is pretty much the same thing as information officer which I am currently doing. I have been doing it for almost 5 yrs. :)

Holy Moly!!! How impressive that you did it so quick and they had no choice but to move you up! That's wonderful! Congrats. :)

Is there any more way to move up in this position? Meaning, what is the next level?

shel90, Please read my post above at #101!! Thanks! You have response to others but no mine. ummmm

Oh thanks for pointing it out. I didnt see it before...

If u want to order overseas, he will be glad to do it. LOL!

Thanks for the words encouragement. :)

Jolie, thank you! I will certainly try a new thread. :)
Appreciate your time taken to respond very much. :ty:

You're welcome. :) Feel free to do what you want to do. I think a new thread about the home based/and or it's own business is a splendid idea in order to share some tips, feedbacks, POVs, so and on.

Back