What Job or Career are you in?

stuntchic

Reaction score
hi im stuntchic, I havent been online at All Deaf for a while, I've been travelling overseas for one whole year (Been in Europe and Britain, India, Vietnam and China!). :thumb:

Anyway, I get back to Sydney Australia in December, and I have to get a job. :Ohno: I was trained as a journalist at University, but I got so deaf (i am late deafened - hearing aids, but I cant even hear on the phone. I dont know sign language).

I've done a web design course, cause I thought it would be something I could do without having to answer a phone or having to lip read too much.

I am very interested to know what sort of jobs/careers other ADers have.

Let me know!

PS its been great getting back into the threads after so long! Its been like a year or something! :cheers:

- stuntchic

I work in the kitchen at the private school. I dont have to answer the phone but very few lip reading. I love my job.

I'm pursuing Bachelor degree at RIT. My major is Information Technology. I have been working as an intern in Federal agency. I use email, pen/paper and pager as my mode of communication with my co-workers.

Im full-time student at high school and this year is last of high school!! Woot! I want to go to university so i can study Bachalor of Multimedia/IT next year. *Fingers crossed*

she asked about job or career, not college status.

hey stuntic, why not be an independent journalist?
why not interview deaf people in Iraq on how they
cope with war and all?

I'm citizen lobbyist, work on political campaigns, student senate/legislative director, student assocation representative, part time college student. I also work at MN State Snack shop when the owner needs me. Communication- it depends on people who I sees, if deafies, I use ASL but with hearies, some lipreading, talking and paper, pen plus interpreters....

im looking into going to dog grooming school and becoming a dog groomer.

I am a WIC HPA currently part time as I am going to school to finish my nursing degree.

I am an owner of a framer shop. I make customed frames for my customers' paintings and pictures. Sometimes, we write down the paper if I don't understand them. My two majors were in photography and data processing at RIT/NTID.

I'm a claims associate for a big health insurance company-- office job on a team of 5 people. I don't use the phone but E-mail makes my job very easy to do. If my co-workers want to talk to me they know I can read lips pretty well, or they write notes if I miss what they are saying. My boss is really COOL and SOOOOOOOO easy to understand. She's also a super-loud talker... I have the CI and can recognize her voice all the way down the hallway.

I also teach ASL at one of the local Universities. I teach all hearing students, and don't use an interpreter at all for this job. My students are expected to use their EYES to listen to me, and I use my voice when needed to communicate with my students. Otherwise I ask them to sign (if they can remember their vocabulary), fingerspell, or write a note if they need something.

:D

Job

I work as Associated Living Aide at Deaf and Deaf-Blind Associated Living Community (a formal label for nursing home) Some deafs there grew up oral so I had to use my lip-reading ablitiy to understand them, but they could understand my sign... or some signs are old and hard to understand... I'm always learning something new everyday! It is rather an interesting job... it is quite a nice experience to have, but very tiring as well! :)

im a pending certifed Deaf interpeter, and also a head usher im HOH and can communicate well, i also freelance in the feild with odd jobs to make ends meet and also help the family out when needed......

also my partner plby will mention but will plby ask me to do this.. she used to work in a fast food place, til medical situation stopped her so she's now in college pursuing a better paying job as a Teacher's aide credintals. So this is good for her. she Loves kids :)

I been search for job total 360 applications unfortunately and I goes to Division Vocational Rehabilitation and open the case and been done all audiologist tested my ears both totally profoundly hearing loss received certified that I am hearing impaired, physical examination passed,psychologist has already evaluation my ability with skills and history of problems,and attending job club for since Oct.2004 total passed 1 year now.... so today I just passed test for dental lab technican with only my ability to do with skill that fits my ability to work for dental lab technican making dentures and will be taking up training 6 months DVR will coverage the cost for training and plus pay me for work at same time training. That their pay wage is excellence and they pays up to $25 an hour. It depends on my ability with skillful for dental lab technican. Wishes me good luck!

I was used be teacher s aide til born my 1st son then stopped work but my job still is a housewife 24/7 ! ! Yah.. isnt it fun ?! :cheers:

I am data processor for Rehabcare Group. I did not use the phone either but I do make communication with co-workers.

MizzDeaf said:
I am data processor for Rehabcare Group. I did not use the phone either but I do make communication with co-workers.

Hey, is that u ? u used be live in Dallas, Tx before right ? ? I must know u ? Jenny ? ?

Im Melissa.. remmy me ? ? :wave:

Back