What is Your Pet Peeve?

physical therapy sessions that start at 8:00 in the morning. ugh!

good gracious! :mad2:

yep! i have my 2nd physical therapy session scheduled for 8:00 am tomorrow. when i asked about later appointments, i was told that the only time my therapist is available is at 8:00 in the morning. :mad2:

I think it's better to make doctor says his diagnosis first. if he says something completely different from what you expect... 2 possibilities - that doctor is incompetent or he knows this better than you lol.

I was misdiagnosed by 6 doctors over a period of 7 years. I started to grow wary of their knowledge. Actually not to take away from their knowledge, but since I could both read about the symptoms and experience them firsthand, I figured it out a lot quicker than their trying to understand the description of my symptoms and diagnose me based on "well it's sorta kinda like X but not really more like Y." My symptoms were all over the place because to quote my eye doctor, "Nika--most people come in here with one or two eye problems. You have them all. At the same time." (I have seven at the time, now I have eight.)

physical therapy sessions that start at 8:00 in the morning. ugh!

Oh man that is the worst! I didn't have physical therapy sessions that early but I did have to do my exercises that early. The only way I could get out of P.E. was to do my physical therapy exercises during the P.E. period. For a year my P.E. class was first thing in the morning so I had to do my PT at 8:00 in the morning.

Definitely a nightmare! Starting off my day with painful exercises wasn't a good way to get me in a good mood. <laugh>

yep! i have my 2nd physical therapy session scheduled for 8:00 am tomorrow. when i asked about later appointments, i was told that the only time my therapist is available is at 8:00 in the morning. :mad2:

I'm sorry. Truly sorry. <sad>

Oh man that is the worst! I didn't have physical therapy sessions that early but I did have to do my exercises that early. The only way I could get out of P.E. was to do my physical therapy exercises during the P.E. period. For a year my P.E. class was first thing in the morning so I had to do my PT at 8:00 in the morning.

Definitely a nightmare! Starting off my day with painful exercises wasn't a good way to get me in a good mood. <laugh>

exactly. when i came home from my first physical therapy appointment yesterday, i was in so much pain. i'm seriously thinking about not going at all and just having cts surgery instead. besides, since the chances are likely that pt won't help me anyways (according to my doctor and what i've read on websites regarding severe cts), why should i bother?

exactly. when i came home from my first physical therapy appointment yesterday, i was in so much pain. i'm seriously thinking about not going at all and just having cts surgery instead. besides, since the chances are likely that pt won't help me anyways (according to my doctor and what i've read on websites regarding severe cts), why should i bother?

Aw Hear Again, I'm sorry to hear it was so painful. PT -- Pain and Torture. If your doctor said it might not even help, then why suffer? I would definitely consider going with the surgery if I were you!

I was misdiagnosed by 6 doctors over a period of 7 years. I started to grow wary of their knowledge. Actually not to take away from their knowledge, but since I could both read about the symptoms and experience them firsthand, I figured it out a lot quicker than their trying to understand the description of my symptoms and diagnose me based on "well it's sorta kinda like X but not really more like Y." My symptoms were all over the place because to quote my eye doctor, "Nika--most people come in here with one or two eye problems. You have them all. At the same time." (I have seven at the time, now I have eight.)

i know what you mean. another problem are doctors who simply look at your medical records and don't do any further investigation. that's what my last psychiatrist did. he saw that i was diagnosed as schizoaffective and never quetioned it (one red flag was the fact that i was going to school which is very difficult for most people with schizoaffective). it wasn't until i started rapid cycling that he changed my diagnosis to bipolar I with rapid cycling. my current psychiatrist is more on the ball as far as these things are concerned. he asked about my prior diagnoses, *but* he also asked me about my present symptoms and made a proper diagnosis based on that.

That's the other problem I had, is that my eye doctors missed things because they simply didn't consider that a patient my age could have some of my eye problems. It may be unusual but it's always possible. I think a lot of doctors go in expecting a classic case and miss unusual cases like mine as a result. I'm supposed to be the one here with tunnel vision, doc, not you!

Aw Hear Again, I'm sorry to hear it was so painful. PT -- Pain and Torture. If your doctor said it might not even help, then why suffer? I would definitely consider going with the surgery if I were you!

i'm seriosly considering it. my physical therapist told me yesterday that cts surgery has a high success rate and that many people are in less pain than they anticipated. the only concern i have is related to anethesia since it can cause mania in people who have bipolar. if i elect to have surgery, perhaps my psychiatrist can put me on a higher dose of my mood stabilizers to prevent the mania from occurring.

i'm seriosly considering it. my physical therapist told me yesterday that cts surgery has a high success rate and that many people are in less pain than they anticipated. the only concern i have is related to anethesia since it can cause mania in people who have bipolar. if i elect to have surgery, perhaps my psychiatrist can put me on a higher dose of my mood stabilizers to prevent the mania from occurring.

what happens in cts surgery? do they remove something? will you lose some movement?

Also if you inform your anesthesiologist about your bipolar s/he might be able to do something to minimize the chances of inducing mania.

Also if you inform your anesthesiologist about your bipolar s/he might be able to do something to minimize the chances of inducing mania.

Hear again, If you choose to have surgery i hope it goes well for you, maybe they can give you some extra meds after or something? *sorry if that idea is offensive*

That's the other problem I had, is that my eye doctors missed things because they simply didn't consider that a patient my age could have some of my eye problems. It may be unusual but it's always possible. I think a lot of doctors go in expecting a classic case and miss unusual cases like mine as a result. I'm supposed to be the one here with tunnel vision, doc, not you!

i couldn't agree more! my current psychiatrist told me that my diagnosis of atypical bipolar I disorder with ultradian rapid cycling is purely academic yet more commonplace than one would think. from what i've read and what my psychiatrist told me, atypical bipolar I disorder is more common than bipolar I, bipolar II, cyclothymia and bipolar NOS (not otherwise specified). it's nice when a doctor doesn't look at you as a standard textbook case, but instead, decides to look at your symptoms closely in order to give you an appropriate treatment plan.

that's a good idea. according to my therapist and psychiatrist, i apparently had bipolar since the early 90s and because i was unaware of it, i couldn't talk to the anethesiologist when i had both of my ci surgeries done. if i had been aware of the fact i had bipolar, i'm sure my two incidents of severe mania/psychosis could have been avoided.

Hear again, If you choose to have surgery i hope it goes well for you, maybe they can give you some extra meds after or something? *sorry if that idea is offensive*

thanks, typeingtornado. yes, i'm thinking that the anethesiologist can try to avoid using a med that induces mania and my psychiatrist can increase my mood stabilizer dosages.

And if not avoided, at least minimized.

exactly. then again, if the anethesia used during cts surgery is local, perhaps it won't cause a severe manic episode. i'll have to talk to my psychiatrist about that.

Back