what is your nationality?

LOL! I might. :) I'm half Irish, half Native American. Ohhh fun. My Cherokee grandfather can hold his liquor like no one's business. :P

PPPUUUFFFTTTHHH!!!! Naw, your grandfather can not hold his liquor if he can help it. :lol: You are just bragging. :roll:

Canadian citizen, French ancestry.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Canadian citizen, French ancestry.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

American. Ancestral - Prussian, German, Dutch, English, Irish. :roll:

I am white. ( Polish, Irish, English, German, Scottish, and who knows I may have some blood from the beginning)

LOL! I might. :) I'm half Irish, half Native American. Ohhh fun. My Cherokee grandfather can hold his liquor like no one's business. :P

My grandpa drank liquor and it killed him at 46. Alcoholism runs very deep in my family. Nothing to brag.

I am Chinese, but living in the United States.

Cool. Nice to meet'cha. I see you from Oakland. I must say Go Raiders.:wave:

I'm an American. My new Israeli ID card will say "not listed" because I don't believe in Israel's revived policy of equating Jewishness with nationality. Israel doesn't list 'Israeli' on their ID cards. They list country of origin (eg, Aermenian or something) or "Jew". You can't just put 'Israeli'. :roll:

I'm an American. My new Israeli ID card will say "not listed" because I don't believe in Israel's revived policy of equating Jewishness with nationality. Israel doesn't list 'Israeli' on their ID cards. They list country of origin (eg, Aermenian or something) or "Jew". You can't just put 'Israeli'. :roll:
What about native born Israelis? Israel would be their country of origin (birth), right?

What about native born Israelis? Israel would be their country of origin (birth), right?

except.... the origin of that "country" isn't Israel though....

Israel used to have your religious or ethnic status in place for nationality. It was kind of a left over idea from the early periods, so you could be born in Israel with citizenship but it would say "Druze". If you were Jewish, it would say "Jew". But then the right wing Orthodox started freaking out about 'who was a Jew' and which conversions were valid and so a minority of the Israeli population - heredi- started to control that. If your mom was Christian and your dad Jewish, you couldn't have "Jew" on your nationality. They claim there is no such thing as an "Israeli" nationality, which is bogus.

The early government decided to keep some of the old Ottoman Empire laws, and they let religious authorities of each religion dictate things like marriage and family law and conversions and such. The Rabbinical Court in Israel is elected by a few, but unfortunately, they control marriage amongst Jews in Israel. So if you are "Jewish" and your fiance is "Christian", you have to go abroad for a civil marriage. MAJORITY if Jews in Israel are NOT Orthodox (most are secular) and it is a pain in the ass. It's stupid.

*sigh*

Plus, now ID cards can be used by IDF or potential renters or employers to (quietly) enhance prejudices. (Again, minority, but it counts.)

So the Interior Ministry is NOT part of the Rabbinical Court, but Bibi's government is a 'coalition' government (its parliamentary) and it needed the very right wing and racist Shas party to keep power over the Likud party (which actually got majority votes) so the Interior Minister, who is allied with the Rabbinical Courts, is...yup, from the Shas party.

So even though Israeli Jews are mostly secular (like American Jews), a fringe group gets to control stupid shit like that.

Meh. I probably babbled. Yeah, there are several different things you can pick from or list it blank. Not sure if "American" is an option, but "Hebrew" is (or was, maybe they changed it) and I'm going to reject any until the process is fair again for everyone. The High Court ruled that the ultra Orthodox nutjobs couldn't determine who was a Jew but Yishai, the Shas IM, is trying to ignore the ruling. At first, he just took off 'nationality' so that he wouldn't have to write "Israeli". But now he's putting it back on there and re-inforcing the old "Jew" rule...basically, the new rule tells about 300,000 Israeli Jews that they aren't "Jews" anymore.

Whenever a country wants to determine religion on an ID card, Israel freaks. Israel and Jews freak out when they can potentially be cited for being Jewish. Yeah, well, Israel's very tiny minority Orthodox whackjobs like to know who's in the Hebrew Lunch Club and that's no different.

It's dumb. All Israelis (Muslim, atheist, whatever) have the same civil rights in Israel and there is clearly an Israeli nationality, but the Orthodox don't want to separate Judaism from Israel....even though Israelis want a secular government.

So what would their nationality be then?

Israel recognizes citizenship. That's noted on the card - if they're citizens and have Israeli passports, or if they have a different ID card form the Palestinian Authority or whatever.

Israel does NOT call "Israeli" a nationality. It is the only Western country in the world that does this, because Israel is still largely tribal.

Your nationality is "Jew", "Arab", "Druze", "Armenian", whatever. It sounds contradictory and it is. Imagine if in the USA all of our drivers licenses had our main 'ancestries' on it.

So, if they're going through Passport Control there's major confusion over which country they hail from? I'm being dumb on purpose here but what's their passport like?

Meaning, they don't know where they were born?

see Post #57.

How can Israel be a "country of origin" if it wasn't a country in the first place? Oracle's post makes sense.

So, if they're going through Passport Control there's major confusion over which country they hail from? I'm being dumb on purpose here but what's their passport like?

"Nationality" in Israel means something different. Like, what if our IDs said Latino, Asian, Indian or whatever?

All of them have Israeli citizenship. An Israeli passport is an Israeli passport. But they have national ID cards that they carry at all times. Sometimes Jews are restricted from certain areas because the Wadq controls them, eg, the Temple Mount. And I suppose it could be useful to know who is a Jew and who is a Muslim and who is whatever.

Here's a copy of the new card. They have microchips! :eek3:

Teudat-zehut-sample1.jpg

Arab woman holding up hers:

x83163820770555033_5.jpg

Every legal Israeli gets one. I can't blow this photo up enough to read it, but there's a spot for nationality, and it was blank or said Jew or whatever, depending on the year, but basically Israel's minority tires to equate "Jew" with "being Israeli" and everyone else as "guest". Fuckers.

(scuse me)

Back