What is your job/career?

Owlnessa

Reaction score
Hi. I'm new to this website. I am in my 20s and female. I have my grade 12 education. In the last 4 years was hard. I got fired from one job because I was deaf. I had another job that was temporary - 8 months. I was just working recently for 4 months but lost it. As you can see, I keep having bad luck and having to go back on assistance if I'm not working. I still live at home. I have alot of frustrations and I feel like nobody will ever give me a chance. I have applied at many work places but never get a phone call. In my cover letter, I do not hide the fact that I am hearing impaired. I am definitely a hard worker and always trying my best. I do talk, read lips, and wear hearing aids. I never use the telephone because people sound too robotic so I email, facetime or text instead! I really want to go back to school but no clue what to take? I want to make sure that I can do this job and will get hired. I was raised in the hearing world so I don't know alot of deaf people. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, please tell me your job experiences and what is your career! Would be very helpful thank you.

Self employed is the way to go!!! I sell bikes. My customers know to text me.

Also, those who are deaf are supposed to have better eyes. I use that to my advantage. I eye good deals!!! I do my research. Some people are too lazy to research. Not me.

I'm a computer repair technician. It's not working out, though, as it's no longer a fulfilling job. I'm planning on starting school next spring for a Bachelor of Science with emphasis in ASL and Deaf Education. Utah State University's got a great Deaf Ed program, so I'm going to jump on it.

We'll see where it takes me from there, but I'm actually planning on teaching ASL as a primary language to children 3+.

I got fired from one job because I was deaf.

I have a hard time believing that part. Your employer knew you were deaf when you were hired, right?

If yes, then you were fired for other reasons.

(now if you became deaf after being hired, that is a different story)

I had a crappy job when I was 16, and I was fired, not because I was deaf, but because I did a lousy job and deserved it.

Firing workers is not easy. Management has to take a lot of things in consideration. They make decisions based on how valuable people are in terms of productivity.

It is hard for any young people to get jobs these days, deaf or hearing...and it is up to you to show that you can do it.

I had an interview and the manager hired me but days later, the big boss fired me because I was deaf and she thought I was a liability. She phoned and told a family member of mine that I was fired, didn't tell me herself so that was a breach of confidentiality. I had a case so I won. She was in big trouble

So um yes? ... It's a true story

Ohkaaayyyy......

Whereabouts was this located? Most companies are aware of disability discrimination, so this 'big boss' must have been really stupid to do that.

Then again, I should not be surprised...

I'm from Canada. Legit, She was stupid because nobody else had a problem with me. So I went to board and won the case.

You shouldn't be surprised haha. I know another person who was deaf got fired from a fast food place cause he couldn't do the drive thru. People are really rude ...

I'm from Canada. Legit, She was stupid because nobody else had a problem with me. So I went to board and won the case.

You shouldn't be surprised haha. I know another person who was deaf got fired from a fast food place cause he couldn't do the drive thru. People are really rude ...

I guess in America, we are more protected. I worked at a fast food restaurant for 3 years from 15 to 18 years old.

I have worked at group homes on and off as 2nd jobs. In fact , my 2nd job is working at a group home 1 or 2 weekends a month.

My full time job is an elementary school teacher.

Yes, I was born with a severe profound deafness.

Hope uncanny figure out the right job for you! Good luck!

Any other deaf or hard of hearing people who work? Haha I need some realistic ideas :) Viewed 200 times but only 5 replies boooo.

How did you get started in the business?

I was bored, single, and miserable after I got fired on my last job. I wanted something to do. I am lucky because I'm just by Chicago. Why not try this? Many years later, I've figured whom I would work with. Yes, there are people that thrive on texting. Find them. Find what they would like to buy.

I work part-time for the local newspaper. First got the job there while I was still in high school (like 10th grade maybe? around 2002ish). Been with them ever since. I've worked at other jobs part time in addition to my newspaper job here and there but they didn't work out (stress and anxiety really messed me up at 1 job, and the other just wasn't right for me). I'm so sick and bored of my job with the newspaper that I'm ready for something different so I'm in college taking basic classes until I have all the necessary credits to get into the radiography program (hopefully next year I'll be able to apply for the program). I'm 27 and just figured out what I wanted to do with my life.

I am Deaf, 19 and senior at J L Mann high school. Mainstreamed almost whole my life. I'm current in pursing Professional Acting career now. It's happening :). I am going to be on news soon. I went to Thespian Festival and won national completion, will go to Nebaska for big nationalist completion this summer! In fact, I am first Deaf ever enter Thespian Festival.

Wirelessly posted

JoeyDeafNinja said:
I am Deaf, 19 and senior at J L Mann high school. Mainstreamed almost whole my life. I'm current in pursing Professional Acting career now. It's happening :). I am going to be on news soon. I went to Thespian Festival and won national completion, will go to Nebaska for big nationalist completion this summer! In fact, I am first Deaf ever enter Thespian Festival.

I thought you were attending to FSDB. What happened?

Wirelessly posted

I am a Registured Pharmacy Technician. I am also Nationally board Certified with PTCB. I love this job!! I used to be a pre school teacher with a CDA that taught VPK. I do miss it from time to time.

I work part-time for the local newspaper. First got the job there while I was still in high school (like 10th grade maybe? around 2002ish). Been with them ever since. I've worked at other jobs part time in addition to my newspaper job here and there but they didn't work out (stress and anxiety really messed me up at 1 job, and the other just wasn't right for me). I'm so sick and bored of my job with the newspaper that I'm ready for something different so I'm in college taking basic classes until I have all the necessary credits to get into the radiography program (hopefully next year I'll be able to apply for the program). I'm 27 and just figured out what I wanted to do with my life.
I remember my first newspaper job when I was 14 years old. I forgot the job position but I had to go outside and knock on people's doors, trying to get them to subscribe to newspapers. Although I did not like harassing these folks, it was a good learning experience. After 2 weeks of working for my local newspaper, I received my first check of 7 measly dollars. Needless to say, I quit the following day. :ugh3:

Back