What is your Favorite Cure for a cold??

whatdidyousay!

Reaction score
I am still feeling crappy from my cold , I was wondering what do you guys do when you have cold. I like homemade chicken soup . My mom use to make us kids warn lemon juice with honey and butter . I can't eat honey any more! :(

I drink lots of orange juice (a large glass each day)- basically any juice that does NOT have sugar, and has lots of vitamin C. Don't use that weird orange-flavoured cordial, get some actual juice. (With pulp, etc). Juice it yourself if you're lucky enough some orange trees. I also like Grapefruit juice, but I am told that is an acquired taste. :)

Not adding sugar apparently makes the vitamin C more effective, and it helps the body fight against colds.

Tissues, Nyquil, Hot Toddy, More tissues, sleep, soup, shower, More Nyquil, more sleep, and Lots of TLC from my kids and man. :)

Last time I was sick with a bad cold. I drank green tea, black tea, cranberry juice, italian ice, soup and lots of tissues. Plenty of sleep. I did not take a nyquil which I should have but i forget. lol

Hot limeade. If you can't have honey, you could make it with sugar, although I think the honey has quite a bit to do with making your throat better.

If you drink alcohol, you can put rum into it also.

The first sign of a cold coming on (for me) is the dry, itchy, sore throat and mouth. I start sucking on hard candy to keep my throat and mouth moist and drink Orange juice and lots of water. I do stock up on hard candy for that reason during the winter months....And Nyquil (inasmuch as I hate the taste!) and sleep as much as I can.

But, we haven't had colds in quite awhile. Everytime we go out among other people and then come home, we wash our hands and use sanitizer....especially during the school months (for the boys)...I also swab down my counters with Bleach once a week (a thorough cleaning). And avoid people who cough and sneeze or blowing their noses.

We've been "lucky" for quite awhile now.

Hot limeade. If you can't have honey, you could make it with sugar, although I think the honey has quite a bit to do with making your throat better.

If you drink alcohol, you can put rum into it also.

I can't eat anything sweet! :( I do bit I get sick!

Last edited:
not White Russian Vodka?

My dad drank Russian Vodka and he hardly got a cold. My dad some friends that where doctors and and a woman thought my dad was a DR. too as dad hanged out with his friends a lot. The woman told Dr.Dad she had trouble sleeping at night and dad told her to take a tablespoon of Brandy every night before bed! The next the woman saw my dad she told him she did like he told been sleeping fine! My dad did not finish school! LOL!!
Thanks guys ! I got a lot good cures to try , I just hope I will not need to use them too often!

BTW, there's no cure for colds...just ways to treat the symptoms.
I usually just get the rest I need for the first couple of days.
Hot soup is good because it helps to clear the sinuses.
I prefer winter colds as I can go out in the cold and breath much better than in the heat/humidity.
Knock on wood I haven't had a cold in quite a while. Hope I don't get one from this thread. :giggle:

BTW, there's no cure for colds...just ways to treat the symptoms.
I usually just get the rest I need for the first couple of days.
Hot soup is good because it helps to clear the sinuses.
I prefer winter colds as I can go out in the cold and breath much better than in the heat/humidity.
Knock on wood I haven't had a cold in quite a while. Hope I don't get one from this thread. :giggle:

I know you can't cure a cold , you have to let run is course. I think getting a cold in the summer is worst!

Back