What is this sub forum for?

R2D2

Reaction score
Is it a support forum for those who are thinking about getting a CI/hearing aid, for those who have one and those who take a positive and informed interest in it?

Or is it a debate board for all and sundry to share their feelings about CIs?

I'm all for debate but I think it needs to be somewhere else, not here. I simply want to talk with other pre-lingually deaf people who have gone the same route or who are thinking of having CIs. I've noticed that they have gone very quiet. Lately this forum has been swamped by those who just want to give their 10 cents or share something their friend told them - mostly negative. I am getting tired of seeing misconceptions about CIs in posts time and again.

I just need some clarification so I can decide whether or not to stay here or hang my hat somewhere else.

R2D2

According to the description...
Opinions and experiences about hearing aid or cochlear implant, and how it affects one's life.
It's pretty much anything. If you want to talk about your experience, post here. If you want to debate, post here. If you want to express your opinion (not too harsh), post here.

What was it exactly that you wanted to talk about?

VamPyroX said:
According to the description...It's pretty much anything. If you want to talk about your experience, post here. If you want to debate, post here. If you want to express your opinion (not too harsh), post here.

What was it exactly that you wanted to talk about?

Thanks for clarifying.

I guess I'm looking for support from other deaf people who accept diversity even if it's not a choice they would make for themselves. But I find the opinions expressed here about CIs not just factually incorrect but also too over the top.

How could a person going through the process for a CI possibly feel comfortable here when there are posts comparing CIs to the Holocaust? When there are people here telling me that it's not going to work? etc etc It is incongruent to have support and negative opinion in one place.

So I guess it's time to go. :sadwave:

R2D2

R2D2.....No! Stay here!!!!! Yeah, there are extremely dumbass posts here....but things have gotten a lot better...I remember when ANY mention of CI was attacked.....people are getting to be a lot more accepting about CIs!

deafdyke said:
R2D2.....No! Stay here!!!!! Yeah, there are extremely dumbass posts here....but things have gotten a lot better...I remember when ANY mention of CI was attacked.....people are getting to be a lot more accepting about CIs!

:gpost:

I don't understand why some deaf people consider CI to be a gun to kill deafness.. CIs and HAs are just for assisting us. They don't change our hearing status.

R2D2 said:
Is it a support forum for those who are thinking about getting a CI/hearing aid, for those who have one and those who take a positive and informed interest in it?

Or is it a debate board for all and sundry to share their feelings about CIs?

I'm all for debate but I think it needs to be somewhere else, not here. I simply want to talk with other pre-lingually deaf people who have gone the same route or who are thinking of having CIs. I've noticed that they have gone very quiet. Lately this forum has been swamped by those who just want to give their 10 cents or share something their friend told them - mostly negative. I am getting tired of seeing misconceptions about CIs in posts time and again.

I just need some clarification so I can decide whether or not to stay here or hang my hat somewhere else.

R2D2
Best thing to do is to start a new topic :type: , specifically for your needs. Just explain in the topic what you want to discuss, so then you can tell people that divert from the topic to go somewhere else and/or start their own topic. :nono:

Looking forward to read it...

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I would like to hang around because I really appreciate being able to chat with other deafies in my situation. A lot of the CI resources on the net is geared toward late deafened HOH people and I have always considered myself to be deaf, even though I grew up oral.

But until I get my CI I will be hanging around the support threads for the time being.

R2D2

You know......I have not seen people being attacked for choosing CI.....the debate really is over young kids.....And I think that's an interesting and fun debate. I mean the debate here is kind of different from the debate over in other countries, since we in the US have a PURELY profit driven health care system, and the criteria for implantation isn't as strict as most other countries.

I too haven't seen anyone attack adults for getting their CI, Mostly about children who have no voice in this matter, when an adult decide to give a child a CI.

Just remember people have opinions that we might will not like, but that doesn't mean someone has to walk out of AD. ;)

ecevit said:
I don't understand why some deaf people consider CI to be a gun to kill deafness...

I don't remember anyone saying that. Show me where some deaf people said that?

Cheri said:
I don't remember anyone saying that. Show me where some deaf people said that?

I believe (I could be wrong) he's referring to those who liken CI's to genocide.

Cheri said:
I too haven't seen anyone attack adults for getting their CI, Mostly about children who have no voice in this matter, when an adult decide to give a child a CI.

Just remember people have opinions that we might will not like, but that doesn't mean someone has to walk out of AD. ;)

For example - most Americans want their sons to have male-circumcision, when they were babies and can't talk back - It up to parent's decision!!

Tamara said:
For example - most Americans want their sons to have male-circumcision, when they were babies and can't talk back - It up to parent's decision!!

EXCELLENT example!!!!!!

Tamara said:

Circumcisions are performed all over the world and one time thing, babies don't even remembered it, Compare to CI where babies and children have to live with it for the rest of their lives. Big differences. ;)

Cheri said:
Circumcisions are performed all over the world and one time thing, babies don't even remembered it, Compare to CI where babies and children have to live with it for the rest of their lives. Big differences. ;)

She got a good point!... :aw:

Cheri said:

As far as I know - if you cut OFF a baby boy's foreskin he has to live with that for the rest of his life.

And if you implant children when they are babies they won't remember the surgery either. Heck my 18 month old nephew had 4 teeth bitten out by a dog 3 months ago. He had surgery to remove the roots. He's a happy camper now and doesn't even remember it.

Children are far more resilient than you give them credit for.

Cheri said:

It is still an unnessasary procedure with risks attatched. So why do it?

neecy said:
As far as I know - if you cut OFF a baby boy's foreskin he has to live with that for the rest of his life.

And if you implant children when they are babies they won't remember the surgery either. Heck my 18 month old nephew had 4 teeth bitten out by a dog 3 months ago. He had surgery to remove the roots. He's a happy camper now and doesn't even remember it.

Children are far more resilient than you give them credit for.

I don't think she's talking about the surgery itself, but I may be wrong... :Ohno:

neecy said:

Not really, They don't even know it had been cut off. ;)

And if you implant children when they are babies they won't remember the surgery either.

They might won't remember the surgery but they do see that they have something in their head and may possibility ask questions about it. :)

Back