What is the sign for ARKANSAS?

Dixie

Farting Snowflakes
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have looked for the widely accepted sign for the state of Arkansas and I have yet to find it?

I want to sign that I am from Arkansas. How do I do that?

There is no sign for Arkansas. I just spell it and said I am from Ark..it sucks, i know.. :(

man we gotta get a sign made up. I thought about signing PIG using an 'A' for Arkansas which basically says ARKANSAS RAZORBACKS, but after looking at the sign for PIG it just won't work. I noticed alot of other states have their own signs but not us Arkansans. :(

Few states don't have sign for it.. Ohio, Minn, Mich, Iowa, NH, NJ, Delaware, MD, VA, VW, and more..

After much thought and debate - Ive decided that maybe if I want to convey Arkansas, I can use the fan sign for Hogs - have the rock hand upside down, to represent the tusks of the hog. Or does that sign mean something else already?

There has never been a traditional sign for Arkansas as well as some other States and your "invention" would not be universally accepted EVEN IF ASL is a living, evolving language; it just won't catch on. Since the abbreviation, "Ark" is quick and short when you fingerspell it, consider it as a "sign" for Arkansas.....

There has never been a traditional sign for Arkansas as well as some other States and your "invention" would not be universally accepted EVEN IF ASL is a living, evolving language; it just won't catch on. Since the abbreviation, "Ark" is quick and short when you fingerspell it, consider it as a "sign" for Arkansas.....

Interesting discussion, Tousi! I can see how this can become a matter of linguistics and I like you brought up that point.

I'm not sure I agree completely, though. ASL is a dynamic and evolving language, but what makes it evolve are the contributions of individuals. Here's a good example. I know of a sign for "nerd" that involves the "4" handshape placed on the chest (where you would have a pocket on your shirt) to demonstrate the pens famous with the nerd archetype.

That sign came from a woman I know who decided to put it into use one day. It's now in general use in my social circles, and when I went to Gallaudet I was using it liberally.

The point here is that, yes, manufactured signs aren't always easily added to the language, but without manufactured signs, you'd have no ASL evolution. I think the test here is if it "feels right" -- a strange concept, but maybe one that makes sense in a Noam Chomsky way. The original sign I encountered for e-mail (e, then mail) was awkward and fell out of use pretty quickly for another manufactured sign that feels much better ("c" handshape non-dominant, with bent "b" handshape passing through from anterior to posterior).

But Endymion is not a PhD in Linguistics. Right, Endymion? Yep, Endymion. ;)

The people I know would spell "ARK" for Arkansas. I don't know the signs for many states, though. I just usually spell them out.

i know.. it would be cool to make up a sign but it wont be accepted by many of deafies here in Arkansas thats why we mostly spell it like i said Ark.. simple.. so drat.. lol :)

oh well I've dropped it for the most part, but the overall discussion could be good on the ever-changing and developing sign language.

After much thought and debate - Ive decided that maybe if I want to convey Arkansas, I can use the fan sign for Hogs - have the rock hand upside down, to represent the tusks of the hog. Or does that sign mean something else already?

Some people use it for PI (to imitate the Greek letter). I think there's something else too but my brain won't access it right now.

Few states don't have sign for it.. Ohio, Minn, Mich, Iowa, NH, NJ, Delaware, MD, VA, VW, and more..

Michigan do have a sign for this... Put the hand up and moving the index finger around on line edge of the hand, it's call Michigan. But mostly people rather to spell Mich since it's more simple :dunno:

ive seen some limited use for arkansas razorback sign specifially, but i supposed you could related it to the state itself...

"y" handshape, plam out in front of your lips under your nose...simulating tusks.

I suppose that could work, but I just did it in the mirror and I look awfully silly! LOL That is interesting though. But if I signed it as I FROM RAZORBACK would that imply that I am a U of A Fayetteville student?? Interesting.

:ty:
Dixie

Well yeah, you gotta love the Hogs, minus Frank Broyles and Houston Nutt. There for a season we had a good thing going for us til Teresa Prewitt done went and messed it up for us. We lost Coach Malzahn AND Mitch Mustain over that crap. Oh well thats a discussion for another time. :D

I have been to two Hog games in my lifetime and both times were before the Frank Broyles renovations on the football stadium. I would love to go again, I love the atmosphere of Fayetteville.

Even though Arkansas don't have a sign, it's a lot better than sign given for LA. I never understood why people gave LA that type of sign. I think there's a joke somewhere in it and I have never caught it. :dunno:

Even though Arkansas don't have a sign, it's a lot better than sign given for LA. I never understood why people gave LA that type of sign. I think there's a joke somewhere in it and I have never caught it. :dunno:

LOL I have seen that - Louisiana as the sign for shit.

For myself, I personally just spell the 2 abbreviated letters if they don't have the sign for it. Suppose they don't have the sign for California, I'd just spell it "CA."

LOL I have seen that - Louisiana as the sign for shit.

For myself, I personally just spell the 2 abbreviated letters if they don't have the sign for it. Suppose they don't have the sign for California, I'd just spell it "CA."

LOL!!! I remember about bad sign on Louisiana.

Also, there's sign for CAlifornia, start on side of head and on ear but... hard to explain on AD.

Back