What is the most annoying questions hearing people ask you?

I have been asked MANY times if I read Braille, can I drive, and someone once commented that my husband must be such an amazing person to have a Deaf wife...... haha what does that even mean??

Sent from my LGL34C using AllDeaf App mobile app

Is your hubby hearing? if so. yeah.. LOL

:lol:...at some of the responses....here's one that happened yesterday. A friend that I hadn't seen in a long time, came to the door and did not knock...my doggie alerted me and was barking at the door...when I opened it, he said..."how did you know I was at the door?...I didn't knock!"...and "I thought you were deaf...so did you hear me walking up to the door?"....:lol:...He's always been suspicious that I could hear "some"...
My doggie was going "grrrrrr!"...so I said....she's my Doorbell!

:lol:...at some of the responses....here's one that happened yesterday. A friend that I hadn't seen in a long time, came to the door and did not knock...my doggie alerted me and was barking at the door...when I opened it, he said..."how did you know I was at the door?...I didn't knock!"...and "I thought you were deaf...so did you hear me walking up to the door?"....:lol:...He's always been suspicious that I could hear "some"...
My doggie was going "grrrrrr!"...so I said....she's my Doorbell!

Amazing that your friend did not hear the dog barked before you answered the door. He should know that. I guess you did not remind him before that you have a hearing dog trained to answer any sounds in the house and outside. :roll:

Come to think of it, was your friend hard of hearing or deaf? :hmm:

Amazing that your friend did not hear the dog barked before you answered the door. He should know that. I guess you did not remind him before that you have a hearing dog trained to answer any sounds in the house and outside. :roll:

Come to think of it, was your friend hard of hearing or deaf? :hmm:

Feel sure he heard the doggie barking as he is hearing...but gotta remember...hearies don't really "think" when it comes to deafies....

My least favorite is the "OMG you can read lips?! Why didn't you tell me?! STOP THE CAR!!" *stops car, bewildered* "Wait, i gotta find something to say that you can read!" *thinks furiously* This actually happened; not even a week ago. So frigging ignorant. How do they think i understood what was being said; my magic mental caption box?? -______-

I want a magic mental caption box too ! :giggle:

A few people have said to me "you can't be deaf, you speak so well". One of the people who said that to me is a nurse practitioner.

I had a doctor who asked me if I can drive? I showed him my DL and he looks puzzled. I told him I have eyes and there is mirrors... what's wrong with that? He didn't bother to ask another question again.

A few people have said to me "you can't be deaf, you speak so well". One of the people who said that to me is a nurse practitioner.

I had a doctor who asked me if I can drive? I showed him my DL and he looks puzzled. I told him I have eyes and there is mirrors... what's wrong with that? He didn't bother to ask another question again.

You should of asked the doctor if he had a license to be a doctor!

Same mine too, I use head phones and can hear but something too. I can hear loud, can talk as well. I am deaf.My family won't allow me to drive, someday I will learn to drive. LOL

I hate stupid questions but I have 2 that are just annoying.

1. If your deaf can you read?
2. Can you drive?
3. How can you listen to music or dance?

Like really. Do people not pick up books or Google at least anything before asking a question. I know people say no question is a dumb question but I disagree.

There are levels of deafness. Yes I'm deaf but I can hear loud music with my head phones and no it's not 100% clear but I can hear something. Yes I can drive it's my ears that have a problem Not my eyes, hands, or feet. And again yes I can read my eyes are just fine.

And it's irritated that some people who ask these are related to me and know I drive and I am a straight A student and know I dance and teach dance.

Sent from my LGLS990 using AllDeaf App mobile app

Here are some questions/comments that I've been asked over the years:

"Why do you wear hearing aids?"
"How did you become deaf?"
"Do you know sign language?"
"Can you read my lips?"
"You're deaf/HoH, how come you can't sign?"
"I feel sorry for you"
"OMG, you're so lucky! You can just turn off your hearing aids and ignore everyone"
"Forget it, I'm not going to repeat myself"
"Nevermind" <--- so classic!
"Wow, you're deaf but you're SO smart?! How come?"
"Stop complaining Sabiya, apply to ANY job. Here's the jobs that are hiring: (proceeds to list mostly hearing only jobs or "office" jobs that are in very noisy environments).... are you lazy?"
"Why are you working?/Why do you want to work? Just apply for Disability and never work again"
"Can you hear this? .. WHAT?! How can you NOT hear it?" (my husband is guilty of saying this sometimes, even if he raises the volume really high)
"
"I don't understand why people treat you differently, you're deaf/HoH, not stupid" (proceeds to treat me with kid gloves any way)
"How can you drive if you can't hear the fire trucks or ambulances?"
"Why don't you get the disabled licence plate and use the disabled parking space?"
"What country are you from? You have a weird accent"
"Is your girlfriend mentally challenged? She speaks weird" (this was said to my then-bf, now husband, by his 'friend', he didn't apologize but he never mentioned my speech ever again once everyone ripped on him for picking on a deaf girl LOL)

I think that's it for now :lol:

Same mine too, I use head phones and can hear but something too. I can hear loud, can talk as well. I am deaf.My family won't allow me to drive, someday I will learn to drive. LOL

How old are you? if you are 16, you can try for driver's licence, the only problem is - can you afford a car + insurance?
if you are ambitious and hard working you can.

Fuzzy

Here are some questions/comments that I've been asked over the years:

"Why do you wear hearing aids?"
"How did you become deaf?"
"Do you know sign language?"
"Can you read my lips?"
"You're deaf/HoH, how come you can't sign?"

"I feel sorry for you"
"OMG, you're so lucky! You can just turn off your hearing aids and ignore everyone"
"Forget it, I'm not going to repeat myself"
"Nevermind" <--- so classic!
"Wow, you're deaf but you're SO smart?! How come?"
"Stop complaining Sabiya, apply to ANY job. Here's the jobs that are hiring: (proceeds to list mostly hearing only jobs or "office" jobs that are in very noisy environments).... are you lazy?"
"Why are you working?/Why do you want to work? Just apply for Disability and never work again"
"Can you hear this? .. WHAT?! How can you NOT hear it?" (my husband is guilty of saying this sometimes, even if he raises the volume really high)
"
"I don't understand why people treat you differently, you're deaf/HoH, not stupid" (proceeds to treat me with kid gloves any way)
"How can you drive if you can't hear the fire trucks or ambulances?"
"Why don't you get the disabled licence plate and use the disabled parking space?"
"What country are you from? You have a weird accent"
"Is your girlfriend mentally challenged? She speaks weird" (this was said to my then-bf, now husband, by his 'friend', he didn't apologize but he never mentioned my speech ever again once everyone ripped on him for picking on a deaf girl LOL)

I think that's it for now :lol:

Let's be tolerant - admittedly, these are repetitive thus boring but (some even stupid, but..... meh! ) BUT for the hearing people who doesn't have any experience with deaf
and therefore no how no way of knowing the Q in red - those are to be quite expected and understandable.

the rest is asked by stupid, inconsiderate jerks.

Fuzzy

the daftests was can he see alright being deaf driver and oh my gosh a deaf life saver(swimming pool)two life savers on either side of pool are expected to sign each other at all times

Let's be tolerant - admittedly, these are repetitive thus boring but (some even stupid, but..... meh! ) BUT for the hearing people who doesn't have any experience with deaf
and therefore no how no way of knowing the Q in red - those are to be quite expected and understandable.

the rest is asked by stupid, inconsiderate jerks.

Fuzzy

Yes, it is boring because they are repetitive. After like the umpteenth time, I just want to tell them to shove it. I don't have much patience for repeated questions. :giggle:

Yes, it is boring because they are repetitive. After like the umpteenth time, I just want to tell them to shove it. I don't have much patience for repeated questions. :giggle:

it's like with people who have, say, a name like a celebrity - Hi, I'm Justin Timberlake. - From NSYNC hahaha? - hahaha yeahyeah
:)roll: like I've never heard that one before, sheesh)

Fuzzy

"You're too young to wear hearing aids".

"Doesn't Closed Caption drive you crazy?"

"Do you have to turn that up so loudly?"

"Didn't you hear the alarm clock?"

"Whaddya mean, 'What?'. Are ya deaf or something"?

people asked me what happened with my black eye. i said something same over and over. i can t wait it goes away.

Back