What is the difference between Rednecks and Hillbillies??

Having lived in rural area's including TN, VA and now KY there is a difference...

"Hillbillies" are the people who have little resources, they come from poverty stricken areas-- yes most of those are the mountainous region of the Appalachian Mountains-- they have close ties to family but generally keep to themselves and their tight communities... even in today's society there are those who do not have running water, electricity-cable, internet etc... GASP! They tend to live off what they have- and are resourceful in making their way... it's true many are undereducated and lack medical/dental/mental health care necessary to stay healthy. It's a society and a cycle that is difficult to break... many of these families still live on the land their ancestors had generations ago.

"Rednecks" however-- that's a lifestyle... typically it's a chosen way of life-- their demanor is different and they come from ALL OVER (there are 'rednecks' everywhere)-- and from all socio-economic levels... and YES even highly educated people can be rednecks. Typically the stereotype is Big Trucks, Loud music, rebel flags, tight jeans, big belt buckles, deer heads on the wall, Nascar and Beer, trailers, lots of cars in the front yard, shot gun weddings... etc. But mostly it's the way they treat other people- yes there is a higher tendency for a redneck to be racist-- sexist and all around the rough and tumble type. Today's 'rednecks' are believed to be 'tacky' and lacking class that most middle class people have...

This modern 'stereotype' is FAR removed from the original meaning of the word-- which was first used to describe the farmers who worked in the sun all day...

Typically, most 'rednecks' I've met-- have made the choice to be who they are... and the 'hillbillies' know no other way of life... (I'm related to both~ so this is just my personal observations... from all my years with family, community and working with the public.) ;)

Having lived in rural area's including TN, VA and now KY there is a difference...

"Hillbillies" are the people who have little resources, they come from poverty stricken areas-- yes most of those are the mountainous region of the Appalachian Mountains-- they have close ties to family but generally keep to themselves and their tight communities... even in today's society there are those who do not have running water, electricity-cable, internet etc... GASP! They tend to live off what they have- and are resourceful in making their way... it's true many are undereducated and lack medical/dental/mental health care necessary to stay healthy. It's a society and a cycle that is difficult to break... many of these families still live on the land their ancestors had generations ago.

"Rednecks" however-- that's a lifestyle... typically it's a chosen way of life-- their demanor is different and they come from ALL OVER (there are 'rednecks' everywhere)-- and from all socio-economic levels... and YES even highly educated people can be rednecks. Typically the stereotype is Big Trucks, Loud music, rebel flags, tight jeans, big belt buckles, deer heads on the wall, Nascar and Beer, trailers, lots of cars in the front yard, shot gun weddings... etc. But mostly it's the way they treat other people- yes there is a higher tendency for a redneck to be racist-- sexist and all around the rough and tumble type. Today's 'rednecks' are believed to be 'tacky' and lacking class that most middle class people have...

This modern 'stereotype' is FAR removed from the original meaning of the word-- which was first used to describe the farmers who worked in the sun all day...

Typically, most 'rednecks' I've met-- have made the choice to be who they are... and the 'hillbillies' know no other way of life... (I'm related to both~ so this is just my personal observations... from all my years with family, community and working with the public.) ;)

That's interesting. I just wondered that Hillbillies would be widespread in our country in a few years or so because of the bad economy. I was going to ask someone on this thread which one has the most population of these groups. I am kind of surprised that you said the rednecks are common nowadays. It looks that it is coming back to the KKK group again.

And some hillbillies are proud of their simple life.. it's too bad people keep trying to push it to them. (kinda like beverly Hill hillbilly when everyone expect them to dress fancy when they don't want to). Some do get out of that life when they want to..

Last edited:
And some hillbillies are proud of their simple life.. it's too bad people keep trying to push it to them. (kinda like beverly Hill hillbilly when everyone expect them to dress fancy when they don't want to). Some do get out of that life when they want to..

Yep, I have family that are proud to be 'from the hills' :) (And I have a few family members who have left-- my grandmother did~ )

That's interesting. I just wondered that Hillbillies would be widespread in our country in a few years or so because of the bad economy. I was going to ask someone on this thread which one has the most population of these groups. I am kind of surprised that you said the rednecks are common nowadays. It looks that it is coming back to the KKK group again.

By saying there are 'rednecks' everywhere I mean they're not geographically centered in one region... not that there are more people who one might consider to be rednecks in a general population... I hope that makes sense...

Yep, I have family that are proud to be 'from the hills' :) (And I have a few family members who have left-- my grandmother did~ )

I've always feel living simple is a accomplishment, because not many people can handle it. I know many people who camped out feel the same way.

I've always feel living simple is a accomplishment, because not many people can handle it. I know many people who camped out feel the same way.

I agree that not many can handle it... and I'm one of those people--I love my technology!! I freak out when my cell goes "No Service" and I can't text or email! LOL

however what I mean is lack of available resources-- I'm not referring to people who have chosen to camp out or live simple-- but those who live in the regions that just don't have the option of living any other way... where people have no choice but not to have electricity etc... b/c they're in such remote areas... and those services aren't readily available to them... I was quite surprised to learn that there are still parts of the 'back country' in my home area that are still like that-- even today!! Few, but still in existance...

I don't mean any of this as 'demeaning' or looking down on any one I want you to know that-- after all, these are the origins of MY family (both sides actually)

I agree that not many can handle it... and I'm one of those people--I love my technology!! I freak out when my cell goes "No Service" and I can't text or email! LOL

however what I mean is lack of available resources-- I'm not referring to people who have chosen to camp out or live simple-- but those who live in the regions that just don't have the option of living any other way... where people have no choice but not to have electricity etc... b/c they're in such remote areas... and those services aren't readily available to them... I was quite surprised to learn that there are still parts of the 'back country' in my home area that are still like that-- even today!! Few, but still in existance...

I don't mean any of this as 'demeaning' or looking down on any one I want you to know that-- after all, these are the origins of MY family (both sides actually)

Actually, it is the best of all not having hot wave airs in these zones from radio towers or other devices. It's alike a real peaceful mind and healthy without any interfere with the airwaves in the country. I am sure that it's a great place like that. I understand that we depend on our technologies, but we need to respect our environment in some places that no one bothers us. We need that for a good reason. My opinion is that those people who live in the country are probably lucky except money.

Actually, it is the best of all not having hot wave airs in these zones from radio towers or other devices. It's alike a real peaceful mind and healthy without any interfere with the airwaves in the country. I am sure that it's a great place like that. I understand that we depend on our technologies, but we need to respect our environment in some places that no one bothers us. We need that for a good reason. My opinion is that those people who live in the country are probably lucky except money.

Right, I do enjoy getting away from it all every now and again-- but keep in mind what I'm referring to is the OP asked the difference in the stereotype groups "redneck" and "hillbillies".

Your observations mostly closely match mine. :)

S-T-E-R-E-O-T-Y-P-I-N-G

Many people of proverty AND even wealthy people abuse their women, even in the Ghetto. Even sexually abuse them

Rednecks and Hillbillies are just more likely to love their children even if it result of incest.

But if you are thinking about being a small town, well that's no different than the Amish country.

:roll: WTF??

First of all, what is 'proverty'?

Secondly--wealthy individuals living in the ghettoes? That's a laugh! :lol:

Third--linking hillbillies/rednecks to the Amish are two different classifications--one is a religious group, the other isn't. :roll:

Ahhhh....."git her done"!....Larry the Cable Guy would be THE MAN to ask!!!

You Might be a Redneck ........If you tie your boat to a tree.
You Might be a Redneck ........If all of your hats say "John Deere" on them.
You Might be a Redneck ........If the only vehicle you own is an four wheeler.

I don't think those guys that wear rope instead of belts are Hillbillies!...These guys are "Just trying to make a statement"!

Hillbillies are notorious for "keeping it in the family" such as marrying their cousins!.....And corn cobs and outhouses are still common to them these days!...Corn cobs and Sears & Roebuck catalogs are used! Can't afford toilet paper!

Rednecks talk with a "drawl"...and their English....ya allllll ..... ain't got none ....etc.

Rednecks are "good ol' boys"! Hard drinkers! With a very Southern accent!!

I'm from the South, but I ain't no Hillbillie or a Redneck! :laugh2:

I think with this economy crisis, people will appreciate the simple way of living life.

Speaking for myself, I've always been under the impression that while both rednecks and hillbillies are poor and have junk in front of their houses, the difference between them is that rednecks don't live in Appalachians.

I don't think those guys that wear rope instead of belts are Hillbillies!...These guys are "Just trying to make a statement"!

Hillbillies are notorious for "keeping it in the family" such as marrying their cousins!.....And corn cobs and outhouses are still common to them these days!...Corn cobs and Sears & Roebuck catalogs are used! Can't afford toilet paper!

Rednecks talk with a "drawl"...and their English....ya allllll ..... ain't got none ....etc.

Don't you mean Jeff Foxworthy? He is one that does the "you might be a redneck" jokes.

Don't you mean Jeff Foxworthy? He is one that does the "you might be a redneck" jokes.

Foxworthy and Larry are good friends!...Yeah,,,Jeff wrote the book "You might be a redneck.....".... But Larry, IMO...is funnier!!....Let's not forget the chewing tobacco and snuff the rednecks do!..And those cowboy hats and boots, jeans and unironed (wrinkled) or "their Sunday's best" shirts!

Did ya all catch Comedy Zone awhile back? They were "roasting" Larry the Cable Guy....hilarious!..Laughed until I literally cried!!

:roll: WTF??

First of all, what is 'proverty'?

Secondly--wealthy individuals living in the ghettoes? That's a laugh! :lol:

Third--linking hillbillies/rednecks to the Amish are two different classifications--one is a religious group, the other isn't. :roll:

'I am saying that wealthy people molest their children and abuse their women, and so does people living in the ghettoes.. and someone act like hillbillies are the only ones. And most hillbillies are religious, btw.. Have you read about the history of Mountain songs (bluegrass)

And the reason I link Amish, because I was thinking about the small town near where I lived (but I grew up in the mountainous valley, and yes, I was hillbilly WITHOUT RUNNING WATER . basically, I am a southern, redneck, hillbilly deaf gal) , everyone there seem like they were related to one another, and yet they would marry their grandMother's cousin's children's children.

Proverty is when your situation is stressful because of lack of money (or lack of resources).

In America, our proverty is different. For one thing, we have all these laws that we must deal with that other countries don't have. In result, we end up looking like we live better than most people.. but if we neglect (like paying taxes) we would lose our homes, children, and even jail. And you can't sleep or farm anywhere you want either. So it gets stressful because our society expect us to keep up with them.

Last edited:

You ain't? :lol:

Back