What high-tech gadget do you have?

'told ya so..'

I wouldn't fall for Blue Ray tho. I would rather something that don't get scratched on surface!!! I sure hope I would see many flash drives movies lined up on shelf at Blockbuster or mailed through Netflix. Giving you an idea that you can drop it in your pocket instead of carrying fragile DVD or BlueRay disk. Because more and more Portable Media Players (including Cell Phones such as Treo, Blackberry and any phones that have built in media player) and pc are using flashdrives for anything and it's effecient and weight almost nuthing. Some can just plug in USB or insert it in media slot and enjoy the show. Remmy the "Netbook <Not Notebook>" Thread, They don't have DVD drive at all and is becoming popular options for kids and business user to carry.

I sure hope that would happen in the future. All DVD, BlueRay and CDs would end up crushed into a recycable "box" just like you saw one on "Back to Future" movie. :rofl:

Catty

It's still unpredict, this news is about opinion.

BD is scratch-proof.

Flash memory cost more to produce than optical disc and don't have good progessive to run the movie.

I agree about flash memory costs more to produce. You cant just have a flash memory based movie for under 20 dollars easily since blu ray movies hold 25 to 50 gb depending on length of movie n features.

'told ya so..'

I wouldn't fall for Blue Ray tho. I would rather something that don't get scratched on surface!!! I sure hope I would see many flash drives movies lined up on shelf at Blockbuster or mailed through Netflix. Giving you an idea that you can drop it in your pocket instead of carrying fragile DVD or BlueRay disk. Because more and more Portable Media Players (including Cell Phones such as Treo, Blackberry and any phones that have built in media player) and pc are using flashdrives for anything and it's effecient and weight almost nuthing. Some can just plug in USB or insert it in media slot and enjoy the show. Remmy the "Netbook <Not Notebook>" Thread, They don't have DVD drive at all and is becoming popular options for kids and business user to carry.

Seems like you don't really understand how the consumer market works. Physical media is here to stay for many years to come whether you want to believe it or not. Everything that is out on the market is already outdated to start with. This is a fact that cannot be argued with. They always lay out their plans years before they release a product. In fact, they are selling far more movies on Blu-ray than they are selling via iTunes and other online stores.

Digital downloads is likely the future, but it's going to be years before they are anywhere close to becoming mainstream. Right now, the HD movies you can download off the internet are pretty poor in quality, same with OnDemand services you receive through cable providers. Plus the average joe won't bother to try it out because they aren't tech-savvy.

The average joes aren't tech-savvy. This is something a lot of tech-savvy geeks fail to understand. They do not understand how the market works. The market itself is not geared toward the HD enthusiasts and tech geeks. It is geared toward the average joes, they decide what product stay and what goes. HD enthusiasts and tech geeks are often referred to as the early adopters, and they do pave the road to a successful future as long they are able to convince the average joes to start buying into them. After that, they ignore the tech geeks and focus entirely on the average joes since that's where the buck is.

By the way, it's Blu-ray Disc, not Blue Ray. Try to get that right for once if you want to be taken seriously.

I agree about flash memory costs more to produce. You cant just have a flash memory based movie for under 20 dollars easily since blu ray movies hold 25 to 50 gb depending on length of movie n features.

Yes, and I do believe that Blu-ray players will be becoming mainstream within a few years. In fact, there are far more movies you can buy on Blu-ray now than you could on DVD in the same time frame of DVD's lifespan. Everywhere I go, I see Blu-ray players and movies. They aren't going away anytime soon. Besides, the movies you download off the internet are heavily compressed and cannot be compared to either DVD nor Blu-ray in terms of video quality. Most people are limited to around 50GB or less on their internet connection and now they are starting to experiment with billing people based on how much bandwidth they use in some places. That's going to put a dent in the sales for digital downloads if they start doing it nationwide.

It's really about understanding how the consumer market works.

Seems like you don't really understand how the consumer market works. Physical media is here to stay for many years to come whether you want to believe it or not. Everything that is out on the market is already outdated to start with. This is a fact that cannot be argued with. They always lay out their plans years before they release a product. In fact, they are selling far more movies on Blu-ray than they are selling via iTunes and other online stores.

Digital downloads is likely the future, but it's going to be years before they are anywhere close to becoming mainstream. Right now, the HD movies you can download off the internet are pretty poor in quality, same with OnDemand services you receive through cable providers. Plus the average joe won't bother to try it out because they aren't tech-savvy.

The average joes aren't tech-savvy. This is something a lot of tech-savvy geeks fail to understand. They do not understand how the market works. The market itself is not geared toward the HD enthusiasts and tech geeks. It is geared toward the average joes, they decide what product stay and what goes. HD enthusiasts and tech geeks are often referred to as the early adopters, and they do pave the road to a successful future as long they are able to convince the average joes to start buying into them. After that, they ignore the tech geeks and focus entirely on the average joes since that's where the buck is.

By the way, it's Blu-ray Disc, not Blue Ray. Try to get that right for once if you want to be taken seriously.

Yup, I have agree with you.

BD is seems less worth for anyone who don't have 1080p based HDTV or monitor but it would probably become more worth in later, in my opinion.

BD is more greener than DVD because of made from 51% of paper.

Flash memory use plastic and metal, plastic made from oil.

Yes, and I do believe that Blu-ray players will be becoming mainstream within a few years. In fact, there are far more movies you can buy on Blu-ray now than you could on DVD in the same time frame of DVD's lifespan. Everywhere I go, I see Blu-ray players and movies. They aren't going away anytime soon. Besides, the movies you download off the internet are heavily compressed and cannot be compared to either DVD nor Blu-ray in terms of video quality. Most people are limited to around 50GB or less on their internet connection and now they are starting to experiment with billing people based on how much bandwidth they use in some places. That's going to put a dent in the sales for digital downloads if they start doing it nationwide.

It's really about understanding how the consumer market works.

Yeah, I figured that it's common sense to use optical media and flash memory are a financial drain to the media industry anyhow.

Not many downloadable movies are CC support, even not many stream movies have CC either.

BD is great for HD viewing, both of downloadable and stream movies don't support full 1080p due too much bandwidth.

Remember, DVD was expensive in mid and late 90's, BD is cheaper than in 2006.

Doesn't Blu-Ray have problem with CC? :lol:

Both are newie and it take time.
I'm for digital to save my damn space on shelf. :cool2:

The thing regarding downloading movies, is that most people don't care too much about quality; they don't expect the quality to be that of DVD/RR quality.

As for BR, I am noticing more movies for BR format. But, I still don't think BR will be as popular as DVD, because most of the population have DVD players coupled with a large collection of DVDs that already consumes a lot of storage space.

Doesn't Blu-Ray have problem with CC? :lol:

Both are newie and it take time.
I'm for digital to save my damn space on shelf. :cool2:

No, all BD has SDH, not surprised about you aren't realize it.

It was issue with HDMI, not BD.

Too many on shelves? then use Netflix or disc cases.

The thing regarding downloading movies, is that most people don't care too much about quality; they don't expect the quality to be that of DVD/RR quality.

As for BR, I am noticing more movies for BR format. But, I still don't think BR will be as popular as DVD, because most of the population have DVD players coupled with a large collection of DVDs that already consumes a lot of storage space.

BD is for HD movies and everything that holds more data.

Take some time for BD to more mainstream and common as DVD does.

If you don't have 1080p HDTV or monitor then BD isn't right for you.

No, all BD has SDH, not surprised about you aren't realize it.

It was issue with HDMI, not BD.

Too many on shelves? then use Netflix or disc cases.

You already said CC in first place, none mention SDH.

Argh! This thread went off-topic!

I'm think of get Camcorder MiniDV over HDD because it have raw mean better quality capture than HDD. I made the some research and make decide. I think I should get JVC or Canon. Decide decide... Hello Black Friday!

You already said CC in first place, none mention SDH.

Argh! This thread went off-topic!

I'm think of get Camcorder MiniDV over HDD because it have raw mean better quality capture than HDD. I made the some research and make decide. I think I should get JVC or Canon. Decide decide... Hello Black Friday!

You misunderstood my post, I don't mention CC yet.

Sony 42" HDTV
Toshiba 27" HDTV
Blackberry 8700r
Toshiba HDDVD oplayer (I know, I know, I know that they are dead. :))
Several 2gb flash drives
HDTV terminal
Pioneer DVD Recorder
two PCs
one laptop
Lexmark all in one printer

The difference is, the Blu-ray players can play movies on DVD. The consumers aren't as hesitant as they were with the DVD format when it first came out in 1997 because of backward compatibility issues with VHS.

So it wouldn't be such a big transition, all you have to do is upgrade to a new player and still keep your DVD collection in the future. So far, the Blu-ray format is quite healthy and is selling at a good pace as we speak. Now that the holidays are coming up, it's going to sell much, much better despite the recession. In fact, the Blu-ray format is doing pretty great with the economic tumbling as strange as that may sound.

The point of having a Blu-ray player is to get your money worth out of your HDTV. Why buy a HDTV if you aren't going to take advantage of it?

Not many downloadable movies are CC support, even not many stream movies have CC either.

BD is great for HD viewing, both of downloadable and stream movies don't support full 1080p due too much bandwidth.

Remember, DVD was expensive in mid and late 90's, BD is cheaper than in 2006.

I don't know if you do know about Directv on Demand does supports closed captioned and it is full 1080p. I tested that on my hdtv. It works. Also streaming movies from DVR to my PC. It still supporting CC.

I don't know if you do know about Directv on Demand does supports closed captioned and it is full 1080p. I tested that on my hdtv. It works. Also streaming movies from DVR to my PC. It still supporting CC.

Yup, I'm Directv consumer and know about on demand, I only have SD receiver in my bedroom and HD-DVR receiver in living room that where my relative own it.

I was refer to any movies from Netflix Instantly PC, most movies from Hulu and iTunes (non-streaming) don't support CC right now and no HD, except for some tv shows from iTunes support 720p but not good as true 720p that you have seen on TV with Directv.

Streaming movies from DVR is sharing media? that's different from internet movie streaming.

Sony 42" HDTV
Toshiba 27" HDTV
Blackberry 8700r
Toshiba HDDVD oplayer (I know, I know, I know that they are dead. :))
Several 2gb flash drives
HDTV terminal
Pioneer DVD Recorder
two PCs
one laptop
Lexmark all in one printer

HDTV terminal? What?

Back