What does this t shirt mean?

So I bought said shirt and wore it to work.

My supervisor must have seen my shirt because she went to help a mother of a deaf child with something and when she left she signed what was on my shirt while walking away, thinking she just said, "have a nice day"

The mother's face was priceless.

I about died from laughter.

After getting off the floor I explained to the mom the situation and she laughed.

*facepalm*

I'm afraid I don't know what that means (and fairly sure *that* was intentional LOL) but as for the young woman who taught me the sign, she took the courses to better herself, and as a developmentally disabled preschool teacher, she has used signing with the kids who won't speak and gotten a lot of them to open up, they just love her! She didn't take the ASL course just to learn the dirty signs. ;)

nowits_done ~ LOVE the story! I get a lot of looks when I wear mine. Mostly smiles. :D

freelief - I would love to get that shirt I think its funny - definitely something I would wear. Do you accept cashier's checks on orders?? I ask because I dont have credit card nor a paypal account.

If I can come up with some zany ideas for you to try out, I'll shoot you an email sometime. Keep up the work, I like it.

Seems like people are looking way too deep into the meaning of this shirt. It's a joke. I thought it was a cute shirt. Anyone who knows sign can read it and get a chuckle.

I signed that to one of my coworkers the other day, and she was flipping me off (we were joking around) and she asked what I just did, I said its ASL for have a nice day, :lol: Then the safety manager who has a niece that is deaf came out as we were doing it and she came up to me and told me to stop damaging the minds of already warped employees. (She knew the signs). :rofl:

Then she went and told the other girl what the signs really meant and she started laughing. Now every morning we sign this Eat Shit and Die sign at each other from across the room then smile and wave, lol.

the "facepalm" was in reference to some people in the interpreting field who like to feel superior to anyone they consider "less than" themselves, or anyone whos not a coda, or has 35 years of terping expierence. they must get that expierence in a vacuum cause noone else is qualified to practice and learn.

She judged your friends singing ability, and ability to interpret based solely on the limited info you gave her regarding 3 semesters of an ITP.

i got the shirt the minute i saw it, and "die" was not that far of a stretch, its the same motion, with hand shape a tad bent too much, and the hands facing each other instead of out. if they had faced outward on the shirt, you guys would have been even more puzzled than you already were.

EAT SHIT AND DIE!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I would buy this shirt, for sure!

Normally I have a pet peeve against people fluent in a language who teach other people the wrong way to say something (in any language, not just ASL)...but my BIGGER pet peeve is people who only want to know how the "juicy stuff" in ASL like cursing, drugs, sex, etc. I've had way more people ask me how to sign LESBIAN or PENIS than how to sign "have a nice day" or "nice to meet you."

Hmm, now that I'm not an interpreter anymore maybe I'll sign something "special" for the next person who asks me how to sign "cunnilingus." Evil but tempting.

Ha ha yeah.. I remember when I lived in VA, so many hearing wanted to know the cuss words in sign that it became a big joke in the Deaf community there.

Hmm, now that I'm not an interpreter anymore

When did that happen interpretrator? is it because you are back in school?

Ariakkas said ~ the "facepalm" was in reference to some people in the interpreting field who like to feel superior to anyone they consider "less than" themselves, or anyone whos not a coda, or has 35 years of terping expierence. they must get that expierence in a vacuum cause noone else is qualified to practice and learn.

She judged your friends singing ability, and ability to interpret based solely on the limited info you gave her regarding 3 semesters of an ITP.

I didn't see it that way - I guess you could consider my off handed comment
Man, I could'a been interpreting after 3 quarters - Man
a slam as well then - Sorry if you are offended, I thought everyone knew that 3 quarters of ASL does not make one an interpreter.

Of course people are attracted to the "forbidden fruit" so to speak :)
I think that is why the Advanced Class - Sex Drugs and Rock n Roll is so darn popular with hearing and deaf :)

the "facepalm" was in reference to

Your ignorant response is not worth the favor of a reply.

When did that happen interpretrator? is it because you are back in school?

In a sense. :) It's because I'm going to be teaching writing for deaf students at the college where I used to interpret. I am also finishing up my master's, just have to finish my thesis in the winter, but I was interpreting most of the time that I was in school. Once this year is over I'll also probably teach regular ESL but I'm going to have my hands full (oy, terrible pun!) with these writing classes for now.

I'm going to be teaching writing for deaf students at the college where I used to interpret. I am also finishing up my master's, just have to finish my thesis in the winter, but I was interpreting most of the time that I was in school. Once this year is over I'll also probably teach regular ESL but I'm going to have my hands full (oy, terrible pun!) with these writing classes for now.

Thought that was it... it just threw me off to see you write - "Hmmm, now that I'm not an interpreter"...
Once an interpretrator, Always an interpretrator :) teehee

Hands full :giggle: pun :giggle:

You certainly are going to be busy. Two Thumbs Up!!

Back