What do you LIKE most about hearing people?

I like them when they make an equal effort to communicate.

I like it when my youngest son who is 7, says my name several times and taps me just as many times when he is getting my attention, this is primarily for my benefit, but have discovered he does it to everyone now. :lol: (although his 'tapping' is more like 'grabbing my arm and shaking it' which I don't like much at all :-l )

My husband is awesome. He's adjusted beautifully. He's learning ASL and he goes to all of the socials with me. I'm so lucky! :D

There are quite a few threads in AD asking for reasons why hearing people are annoying, ignorant, *insert negative adjective here*, etc.

So, I decided that we should have one that has a more positive note towards hearing people.

What do you like about them?

For me,
I like how they describe music to me. Especially when it's from a person who is VERY passionate about classical music.
I like how they get scared of loud sharp sounds or balloons popping.
I like it when they imitate a foreign accent. I may not appreciate the accent itself, but their faces change too. It's hilarious!

I'm profoundly deaf and I do get startled if a balloon pops. I can hear them at close range.

I like it when hearing people look past your hearing loss and make an effort to communicate with you or treat you equally like they would treat anyone else. It usually makes my day when people approach me and try to sign to me, even if they only know a few letters of the ABC.

I like it when they learn ASL

I took ASL I, ASL II and fingerspelling. I Love the sense of Humor deaf people have when I try to say things like work, and I have my hands the other way and say something I shouldn't:giggle:

I like it when they don't treat you any differently.

:ty:..I am happy this thread was started!..honestly, I was starting to think inclusion was an illusion!.Really good to see hearing folks like myself aren't so bad after all..

I took ASL I, ASL II and fingerspelling. I Love the sense of Humor deaf people have when I try to say things like work, and I have my hands the other way and say something I shouldn't:giggle:

The f bomb? :lol:

I actually remember a time when that occurred. :giggle: I was signing to my bf and said something along the lines, I'll make sure you never get laid.. and a deaf person was in the room, waiting to be waited upon... he totally saw what i signed... :giggle: very embarassing.:shock:

I am hearing, but I would like to say what I like most about the deaf/hoh community. I like the deaf/hoh community because they do not see being deaf/hoh as a handicap, but more as what makes them unique in the world and embrace it. This attitude I have tried to apply to my own life, as with the mild Cerebral Palsy that I have. I have grown to love the deaf community and want to become an interpreter some day. I would love to make some deaf friends, I have Skype redman4eva. Feel free to add me!! My ASL is alright, I havent started any classes yet, so help would be just marvelous! Thanks! I find deaf people to be really funny too! They have such a since of humor! :D They never stop making me laugh, which just makes me want to learn ASL more and more in order to get into the community as much as possible!

Back