What do you do?

KLEE17

Reaction score
I can't begin to count how many times this has happened, but every time makes me cringe and want crawl under a rock.

I'm in a store buying something and someone behind is trying to talk to me. Of course I don't hear them. So I imagine the person must at some point start to yell. So everyone around starts to stare at me including the cashier. Once I realize what is happening I immediately apologize. I don't know why that is my reaction, but it is. I feel embarrassed and DEEPLY annoyed. There have been times when I canceled my transaction, just to get the hell out there. I know someone can relate. What would you or have you done in that situation?

I would have turned around and said what? I am deaf. That ought to make the room go quiet after the realization. Back at them. They now are embarrassed.

Don't waste your time getting embarrassed or feel the need to apologize for something that you have no control of.

Hearing people have one track mind - they would never think, "oh that person must be deaf". Never. They assume everyone is hearing.

I start using ASL with them.

NEVER apologize. It gives the hearing person the impression that deaf people are at fault for being deaf.

Especially when they say, "I'm so sorry" when you tell them you're deaf. I say, "I'm sorry you are sorry, I'm not".

This has happened to me many times.
Except, I was waiting in line by the cashier and the cashier was trying to get my attention, so didn't hear her! The lady in front (as she was the one getting her stuff checked out) stares at me like I'm a lunatic or something. Then the cashier decides that YELLING is the best option. I looked at her, walked up and said "Yes...?" Her: You didn't hear me? Me: Well, I'm deaf. Of course I didn't. Now, what is it? Her: OOh... Uh... Cashier over there is open. Sorry for yelling. Me: Thank you. *walks away*

I was at the point where I was embarrassed but, my deafness doesn't take over you know? I don't apologize I normally say "Thank you for letting me know" then go to that person who was getting my attention.

Same as Shel.

I act like I am a goofy deaf gal in signing to them because i knew they would feel FOOOOOOOOOL of themselve. :D

So many have hit the sore point with me. I say my name and tell them since I can't hear they can call me whatever they want. It's my way, guys. But then they say I'm sorry. Telling them they have nothing to do with my not hearing is getting tedious.

You could say " I am deaf and what is your problem. " You nothing to be sorry for , the person yelling at you should be saying "they're sorry."

I've seen cashiers in a coffee shop yelling 'Next! Next!! NEXT!!!!!' at someone who I knew was Deaf.

I have noticed that a lot of cashiers in business with multiple checkouts tend to call AND wave nowadays, which is good.

I hate stupid questions from hearing people. How do you cross the street? Are you scared you'll get hit by a car? How do you live like that? It's no wonder why I closed myself off for awhile.

I hate stupid questions from hearing people. How do you cross the street? Are you scared you'll get hit by a car? How do you live like that? It's no wonder why I closed myself off for awhile.

We all have plenty of stories about stupid things hearing people say or do. Here are two of the few out there that you can view.

http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-our-culture/91837-annoying-ignorant-hearing-people-stories.html

and

http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-ou...really-make-me-very-angry-hearing-people.html

I've played it different ways in my life. Really I get the " I'm sorry" your Deaf thing more from women. And it's fine I've learned to handle it. If she's cute it's easy.
really I won't post details. But when you learn to handle tht line in a cool way you'll be surprised how a sorry cute hearie chick can be a Good night.

Well, I used to "apoloize" a lot to people whenever they called my name or spoke behind my back and I never responded....Then I got angry at them...Now I realize that they didn't know I was deaf...and I didn't know they were speaking behind my back... so guess that makes us "even steven"....

But if someone slammed me with a grocery cart...or sort of punched me on the shoulder or back...that's a different story....Even throw things at me....:mad:....

Been there, done that.....it all pretty much stopped after I got my CI's, which are rudely exposed on my shaved head. Now everyone avoids me, they are not sure if I am a MIB agent or maybe I am scary looking. Not a bad thing, though.

Been there, done that.....it all pretty much stopped after I got my CI's, which are rudely exposed on my shaved head. Now everyone avoids me, they are not sure if I am a MIB agent or maybe I am scary looking. Not a bad thing, though.

Whoa Green... maybe some of those contact lenses that make it look like you have no pupils.. just to top off the look.

Cool .. I would be trying to hide them and all .. no guts.

There is a new shift now that I am older and have hearing aids and still do not hear. I do not think of myself as older most of the time so it is kind of a strange set of moments when things go gunnysack. I have been hoh all my adult life so it stands out that there is this new player in the social interplay.

It is a strange thing too to be in a place I have lived all my life with short get aways. I see people that are all grayed out and look a little familiar and think uh oh is this someone I used to know well and they are unrecognizeable now? I see them look at me the same way. I prefer just being gracious when I know how. Social skills are not a strong point for me. It is still easy enough for me to turn red and start escalating a situation except now I would probably lose on the ass kicking. Creates a new set of chops.

Back