What do you currently play? (PC games)

Ouch. No more dead Ghost People? That's what he likes to eat.

I have done that, I even wounded Ghost People and let Dog attack, but didn't eat. Argh. That's okay, I will give it a break and maybe later, I will start over with new character. :) So many games I wanted to play now - I wanted to race iRacing, play little BioShock 1/2 (I bought them through Steam summer sale), and Mass Effect 3 expansion.

metalangel said:
I had a really good game of XCOM: Apocalypse going on the hardest difficulty, and my game would always always crash on the End Of Week report. Nothing I did (including going around blowing up buildings or raiding enemy corporations) would stop it crashing on the report. Game over :mad:

Ugh. I would hate that, too! lol

I'm a die-hard PC gamer although rather old-school.

Just working my way through Halo 2 at the moment, got it for 10 bucks at JB Hi-Fi's. Other games I like playing are Space Marine, Bioshock 2, and a few real classics, GTA:San Andreas, Civilization II, and I'm just figuring out how to get TiE Fighter to run on Windows 7. When I do, I'm there :)

Tie Fighter! I haven't played that for years and its great game.

If you hunt around you might find the X-Wing Collector's Edition which upgraded both X-Wing and TIE Fighter into the X-Wing vs TIE Fighter graphics engine... and full speech too!

Yup, got the Collectors Edition, just having fun and games getting it to run on Win7, XP was fine with it. There's a patch online somewhere.

Hey, I tell you what, being the Bad Guy was never so much fun :)

There's just something so...... satisfying about blowing X-Wings out of the sky!

Hey, I tell you what, being the Bad Guy was never so much fun :)

The Empire are the good guys! ;)

There's just something so...... satisfying about blowing X-Wings out of the sky!

There was curiously little of that in TIE Fighter... most of the campaign was the donkey work of running the Galaxy: stopping criminals and pirates. Then it goes into the whole traitors thing but the Rebels are hardly seen at all.

I'm a die-hard PC gamer although rather old-school.

Just working my way through Halo 2 at the moment, got it for 10 bucks at JB Hi-Fi's. Other games I like playing are Space Marine, Bioshock 2, and a few real classics, GTA:San Andreas, Civilization II, and I'm just figuring out how to get TiE Fighter to run on Windows 7. When I do, I'm there :)
I'm not a die-hard gamer, but I do enjoy old school games from time to time.

Things I miss about old school games...

1.) Typing in codes (or inputting button/direction combinations) to unlock certain secrets.

2.) Unlocking certain features based on what you have done in the past.

A couple examples come to mind:

Contra NES - UP UP DOWN DOWN LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT B A start (this gives you 30 lives)

GoldenEye N64 - you had to beat certain levels on certain modes of difficulty within a certain amount of time to unlock certain secrets such as unlimited ammo, paintball mode, turbo\slow motion, etc

Nowadays, there's no typing in codes. You either have to hack the game or go somewhere to find it (which usually turns out to be an easter egg or some random useless secret). Unlocking certain features require paying extra money or taking advantage of some offer.

Gamestop offers limited edition character outfits or weapons or levels if you pre-order that game from them. You also get extra stuff from online if you pay an extra fee for it. Kinda makes the game pointless when you've already spent $50 for it only to have to shell out $5 to $20 extra for something small such as more outfits or weapons. Whatever happened to working for it instead of paying for it?

It's rare to find old-school stuff in modern games. One game would be Super Mario Galaxy Wii where beating the game 100% as Mario unlocks "Super Luigi Galaxy".

GoldenEye on the N64!!!!! Now we're talking :)

Just looking at that Empire/Good Guys link, there's been a lot of thought gone into that :)
I can't help thinking of all those innocent contractors that the Rebel Alliance must have killed when they blew up the 2nd Death Star... After all, Military Forces all over the world use Civilian Contractors on their Bases, Ships and Depots so there's no reason to suspect that in the Star Wars universe there's any difference!

One hit kill knives only on Temple.

Just looking at that Empire/Good Guys link, there's been a lot of thought gone into that :)
I can't help thinking of all those innocent contractors that the Rebel Alliance must have killed when they blew up the 2nd Death Star... After all, Military Forces all over the world use Civilian Contractors on their Bases, Ships and Depots so there's no reason to suspect that in the Star Wars universe there's any difference!

Clerks :D

There's even more on the 'Empire being the good guys' if you want it...

I remember spending hours with my friend trying to unlock those cheats. I printed off a list from online and told him... "Okay, to unlock this, we have to play that level using that difficulty within this time." We'd take turns trying to accomplish it. If I died or ran out of time, it's his turn... then back to me. I think the hardest was the invincibility cheat.

One hit kill knives only on Temple.
That's one of the few things I did to make multiplayer more interesting. My dad always played with my friend and I. The only level he would play was the Temple level. We played that level so much that I practically memorized all the respawn spots and their order that I could shoot him, then run to the next spot before he reappeared... only to kill him again... and again. Hehehe!

I played turbo mode with my friend so much that when my dad joined in, we played normal mode and the game seemed so slow for us. ;)

I remember spending hours with my friend trying to unlock those cheats. I printed off a list from online and told him... "Okay, to unlock this, we have to play that level using that difficulty within this time." We'd take turns trying to accomplish it. If I died or ran out of time, it's his turn... then back to me. I think the hardest was the invincibility cheat.

The nearest equivalent nowadays are achievements, I think. Some of them are just as challenging.

That's one of the few things I did to make multiplayer more interesting. My dad always played with my friend and I. The only level he would play was the Temple level. We played that level so much that I practically memorized all the respawn spots and their order that I could shoot him, then run to the next spot before he reappeared... only to kill him again... and again. Hehehe!

We'd only play Temple and that other one (with silvery walls, can't remember the name of it). Usually Temple. Usually one hit kill slappers only or knives, sometimes automatics, and if my pushy housemate was there he'd often insist on power weapons to get the RC-90 and the rocket launcher. This was in a student house, it was hilarious fun.

When Perfect Dark came out I rushed out in bought it. However, while there were more weapons and things to do, the added complexity of the game and the controls meant the elegant simplicity of Goldeneye was gone and my housemates, none of them hardcore gamers, didn't like it as much,

The nearest equivalent nowadays are achievements, I think. Some of them are just as challenging.
That's the problem... those achievements are awards instead of rewards.

Achievements can be nice, but can be a problem for some people depending on what the achievement is for. If it's an achievement for self-play, then that's great. It gives you your own personal goal to accomplish. However, when they're related to online multiplayer games, it can be a problem. I've read stories of players complaining about how other players wouldn't take the multiplayer game seriously because they were too focused on earning achievements.

Let's take Halo 3 as an example. One achievement had something to do with killing a certain number of people by headshots using sniper rifles. Suddenly, there were players who refused to use nothing but sniper rifles and just sat/stood there trying to shoot people in the head while leaving them open targets to the experts to kill them. This lead to messed up team wins.

It's more fun when achievements come with rewards. I had a game for the Xbox called Black. Beating the game on hard mode unlocked black ops mode. Beating the game on normal or hard mode unlocked silver weapons (unlimited ammo). It was these things that made me want to play the entire game 4 times (easy, normal, hard, & black ops). I felt like a god running around with silver machine gun & grenade launcher combo gun! ;)

I have a friend who plays his games the first time to beat it, then the second time to earn all achievements. ;)
We'd only play Temple and that other one (with silvery walls, can't remember the name of it). Usually Temple. Usually one hit kill slappers only or knives, sometimes automatics, and if my pushy housemate was there he'd often insist on power weapons to get the RC-90 and the rocket launcher. This was in a student house, it was hilarious fun.

When Perfect Dark came out I rushed out in bought it. However, while there were more weapons and things to do, the added complexity of the game and the controls meant the elegant simplicity of Goldeneye was gone and my housemates, none of them hardcore gamers, didn't like it as much,
"silvery walls"? Sounds like the Complex level. That's one of my other favorite levels. It's big, but has a lot of pathways and levels.

Yeah, I played Perfect Dark a few times. I was looking forward to the GoldenEye levels that they had brought back, but the gameplay wasn't the same. One thing that made the levels different was that you could walk off the edge, while in GoldenEye you couldn't.

One nice weapon was the X-Ray Sniper Rail Gun. (I can't remember the exact name for it, but it was nice if I could hide somewhere and shoot anyone anywhere in the level.)

That's the problem... those achievements are awards instead of rewards.

Achievements can be nice, but can be a problem for some people depending on what the achievement is for. If it's an achievement for self-play, then that's great. It gives you your own personal goal to accomplish. However, when they're related to online multiplayer games, it can be a problem. I've read stories of players complaining about how other players wouldn't take the multiplayer game seriously because they were too focused on earning achievements.

I have a friend who plays his games the first time to beat it, then the second time to earn all achievements. ;)

I have a friend with 202,000 gamerscore (I have 65,000). I agree that ones which want you to achieve certain feats in multiplayer are detrimental to the game itself... there was one for Frontlines: Fuel of War where you had to finish a multiplayer game without dying. Simple, hide and do NOTHING for the entire round! What were they thinking?

One nice weapon was the X-Ray Sniper Rail Gun. (I can't remember the exact name for it, but it was nice if I could hide somewhere and shoot anyone anywhere in the level.)

Farsight XR-20.

I have a friend with 202,000 gamerscore (I have 65,000). I agree that ones which want you to achieve certain feats in multiplayer are detrimental to the game itself... there was one for Frontlines: Fuel of War where you had to finish a multiplayer game without dying. Simple, hide and do NOTHING for the entire round! What were they thinking?
Yeah, those things suck. Takes the fun out of the game. :(

Another favorite "reward" is the Kratos costumes you unlock in God of War. Gotta love the Dairy Bastard! ;)
Farsight XR-20.
Thanks. :thumb:

I hear they're coming out with another Command & Conquer game. Wonder how that goes. It started out good, but things sorta took a turn for worse when EA bought out Westwood, then flip-flopped Westwood around for a decade before shutting them down. :(

I love to play Online games the most, played so many by me but Cut the Rope is my favorite pc game of all and currently playing the same game at my home.

I love to play Online games the most, played so many by me but Cut the Rope is my favorite pc game of all and currently playing the same game at my home.
I play Cut the Rope on my Android and my wife's iPhone. :)

Still on my retro fad at the moment..... playing Dawn Of War and Grand Theft Auto: SanAndreas.

Also the occasional blast on Space Marine and Halo 2 :)

Back