What do you agree that Sex-offender parents pose dilemma for schools?

Should parents who are registered sex offenders be allowed on school grounds?

• No, registered sex offenders should be banned.

Votes: 22 56.4%
  • Yes, banning registered sex offenders is an unfair because it belongs past.

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • No, parent's criminal background has nothing do with school authority.

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Yes, parent's criminal background should be focus by school authority.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I don't know/not sure

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Others

Votes: 2 5.1%

• Total voters
That has absolutely nothing to do with selective memory, but with the function of short term and long term memory. And only in the cases of neurological pathology is memory in older individuals affected.

Selective memory is a psychological coping mechanism, and can and does occur at any age.

From some of the posts I have seen on here, its occuring more frequently for those that have an "bleeding heart liberal" agenda.

lmao Cheri that was a good one.

You know Byrdie what you just posted back at Cheri, in real life would have earned you a sexual harrassment charge had Cheri called the police. BUT because we were online, you can type things like that.

Would you believe that what you just typed to Cheri could have earned you having to register as a sex offender?

Now where is the justice in that?

It wouldn't happend. I would've paid her off. Or marry her, whichever comes first.

It wouldn't happend. I would've paid her off. Or marry her, whichever comes first.

Some people wont accept bribes in exchange for charges dropped. And what it is to say she would have been interested in you?

Sometimes, even with our best intentions, we end up in places we dont wanna be in.

Bureau of Justice Statistics Corrections Statistics

The above is a link to the DOJ statistics of prisoners. If African American people are going to break the rules which causes a breakdown in the society, then you are going to jail.

Do the crime, do the time.

Amazing that that you are crying foul because of inflated numbers of racial inequalities of the judicial system.

It's obvious a symptom of the "bleeding heart liberal". :roll:

Agreed. But you still have not explained why a sentence for the same offense if longer for a poor African American than it is for a rich caucasion. My numbers are not inflated. It is reality. And cll me a bleeding heart liberal if you like. But at least along with my "bleeding heart", I have a brain.

And actually, it is not breaking the rules which creates anomie, but the total lack of rules.

So, are you saying that African Americans are more criminal by nature, and that is why there is a discrepancy in conviction and incarceration rates? It has to be one or the other, Byrdie. Either it is a sociological creation or a biological creation. Since you don't seem to believe that it is a sociological creation, we can assume that you are leaning toward the biological one....that African Americans create more crimes due to their biological tendencies.

You are skirting the question of explaining why there are more African Americans in the prison poulation than in the non-incarcertated population. The figures don't add up, Byrdie, and you have yet to offer an explanation for the discrepancy other than , if African Americans break the rules, they should be locked up. But should they be given longer sentences, do jail time for an offense that a white, upper class man would receive probation for, be arrested disproportionately, and have their civil rights violated on a consistent basis through racial profiling? Where is your fairness and justice in that?

From the link you provided:

At yearend 2006 there were 3,042 black male sentenced prison inmates per 100,000 black males in the United States, compared to 1,261 Hispanic male inmates per 100,000 Hispanic males and 487 white male inmates per 100,000 white males.

The actual figures of number of minorites in the general population reflect the opposite. So please explain this.

Some people wont accept bribes in exchange for charges dropped. And what it is to say she would have been interested in you?

Sometimes, even with our best intentions, we end up in places we dont wanna be in.

My bad choice of words.

IF I physically touched her, then she would have grounds to have me locked up for sexual harrasment/assault.

Then I would be in a boat load of trouble.

IF I just said it, no physical touch, then the court would likely to dismiss the case as it is, "he said, she said." No evidence. BUT she could come after me with a civil suit and the unfortunate thing in a civil suit, she won't get as much money unless she settles out of court due to attorney fees.

You know the saying, "We take 30%...." it's more like 49% and the client gets 51%.

... The figures don't add up, Byrdie, and you have yet to offer an explanation for the discrepancy other than , if African Americans break the rules, they should be locked up. But should they be given longer sentences, do jail time for an offense that a white, upper class man would receive probation for, be arrested disproportionately, and have their civil rights violated on a consistent basis through racial profiling? Where is your fairness and justice in that?

At yearend 2006 there were 3,042 black male sentenced prison inmates per 100,000 black males in the United States, compared to 1,261 Hispanic male inmates per 100,000 Hispanic males and 487 white male inmates per 100,000 white males.

The actual figures of number of minorites in the general population reflect the opposite. So please explain this.
I can't find the stats on sentencing discrepancies by race. Can you please give me the link? I found the numbers for prison populations by race but I can't find a DOJ stat chart for length of sentencing discrepancies. Also, I read in the DOJ site, and others, that not all states keep prison statistics with a racial breakdown. I wonder how that affects the numbers?

Agreed. But you still have not explained why a sentence for the same offense if longer for a poor African American than it is for a rich caucasion. My numbers are not inflated. It is reality. And cll me a bleeding heart liberal if you like. But at least along with my "bleeding heart", I have a brain.

And actually, it is not breaking the rules which creates anomie, but the total lack of rules.

So, are you saying that African Americans are more criminal by nature, and that is why there is a discrepancy in conviction and incarceration rates? It has to be one or the other, Byrdie. Either it is a sociological creation or a biological creation. Since you don't seem to believe that it is a sociological creation, we can assume that you are leaning toward the biological one....that African Americans create more crimes due to their biological tendencies.

You are skirting the question of explaining why there are more African Americans in the prison poulation than in the non-incarcertated population. The figures don't add up, Byrdie, and you have yet to offer an explanation for the discrepancy other than , if African Americans break the rules, they should be locked up. But should they be given longer sentences, do jail time for an offense that a white, upper class man would receive probation for, be arrested disproportionately, and have their civil rights violated on a consistent basis through racial profiling? Where is your fairness and justice in that?

Time for Mylanta.....

It's not biological. Sociological. It's known that if a parent is in jail, the child has a 50% chance of going to jail. If both parents in jail, the child is likely to go to jail. So, we have to look at the African American males that are in jail. Chances are that they have a parent already in jail. The society needs to break that habit.

The "3 Strikes and you're out" laws are not working. I know a habitual shoplifter that is serving life in prison for stealing a can of Spaghettio's.

Racial profiling--unfortunately we have to do that now due to the war on terrorism. It isn't right but everyone wants to stay safe and not have another attack. Can't have it both ways.

I am going to be brutally honest, I don't know why. When I go into court, I look at the case, not the race.

All we can do is speculate.

Time for Mylanta.....

It's not biological. Sociological. It's known that if a parent is in jail, the child has a 50% chance of going to jail. If both parents in jail, the child is likely to go to jail. So, we have to look at the African American males that are in jail. Chances are that they have a parent already in jail. The society needs to break that habit.

Exactly. And the way to do that is to stop incarcerating them at a disproportionate rate, and at disporportionate sentences. And your 50% liklihood is way off. A child is indeed at greater risk, but it has nothing to do with an inherited criminal tendency, but because a child with a parent in prison is placed in sociological conditions that force them into behaviors that can lead to incarderation in order to survive. You take the main source of income away from a family through incarceration, and the cycle of poverty that leads the problem is exacerbated.

The "3 Strikes and you're out" laws are not working. I know a habitual shoplifter that is serving life in prison for stealing a can of Spaghettio's.

That's absolutley absurd.

Racial profiling--unfortunately we have to do that now due to the war on terrorism. It isn't right but everyone wants to stay safe and not have another attack. Can't have it both ways.

There ain't a lot of terrorism going on in the ghetto! To bring terrorism into a discussion of the discreancies in arrest rates for black Americans is ridiculas. One has nothing to do with the other. But it was a relatively good attempt to divert the topic. However, not working.

I am going to be brutally honest, I don't know why. When I go into court, I look at the case, not the race.

Where did you get your JD?

All we can do is speculate.

Its not speculation when the the facts bear it out.

I can't find the stats on sentencing discrepancies by race. Can you please give me the link? I found the numbers for prison populations by race but I can't find a DOJ stat chart for length of sentencing discrepancies. Also, I read in the DOJ site, and others, that not all states keep prison statistics with a racial breakdown. I wonder how that affects the numbers?

Bureau of Justice Statistics Prison Statistics

Actually, I just quick linked it using Byrdie's original link, jsut click on "prisons". Given the stats on prison population that do keep records based on racial breakdown, it would lead me to believe that those who don't are actually affecting the stats in a way that would make the picture appear to be even less inequitable than it actually is. All states reporting show a greater minority population, and Idoubt seriously that there are any states that would break from that trend in a significant enough way to acutally lower the ratios.

More figures from the DOJ that indicates discrepancies in sentencing and release under parole.–

Approximately 55% of the adults on probation were white, 29% were black, and 13% were Hispanic. Forty-one percent of parolees were white, 39% black, and 18% were Hispanic.

My bad choice of words.

IF I physically touched her, then she would have grounds to have me locked up for sexual harrasment/assault.

Then I would be in a boat load of trouble.

IF I just said it, no physical touch, then the court would likely to dismiss the case as it is, "he said, she said." No evidence. BUT she could come after me with a civil suit and the unfortunate thing in a civil suit, she won't get as much money unless she settles out of court due to attorney fees.

You know the saying, "We take 30%...." it's more like 49% and the client gets 51%.

Hmmm.....that's an interesting take on the law. Especially for someone who claims to be a trial lawyer. Cases of sexual harrassment are upheld all the time, and there does not have to be touching involved. Harrassment can be verbal. If unwanted touching in a sexual manner is involved, the charge is gross sexual imposition or assault, depending on the intensity. And I thought you were a semi-retired trial lawyer, then divorce lawyer, then handling end of life cases. Now you are a civil attorney, too? My goodness!

Hmmm.....that's an interesting take on the law. Especially for someone who claims to be a trial lawyer. Cases of sexual harrassment are upheld all the time, and there does not have to be touching involved. Harrassment can be verbal. If unwanted touching in a sexual manner is involved, the charge is gross sexual imposition or assault, depending on the intensity. And I thought you were a semi-retired trial lawyer, then divorce lawyer, then handling end of life cases. Now you are a civil attorney, too? My goodness!

:roll:

Byrdie714 said:

I'll take the money!! :P

Bear said:

*covers Bear's mouth*

What, Byrdie? At a loss for words? Surely a lawyer like you would have something to say......after all, their career is built on never being out of words.

Emoticon says it all. Deaf people would understand the emotion behind the emoticon, if not, your issue, not mine. :)

Emoticon says it all. Deaf people would understand the emotion behind the emoticon, if not, your issue, not mine. :)

I understood the emoticon, Byrdie. It just wasn't much of a reply. Kind of like a kid who has no answer, and replies, "Whatever." Not a very sophisticated way to communicate....especially for an "attorney".

And deaf people also understand your contradicitons.

I understood the emoticon, Byrdie. It just wasn't much of a reply. Kind of like a kid who has no answer, and replies, "Whatever." Not a very sophisticated way to communicate....especially for an "attorney".

And deaf people also understand your contradicitons.

And you speak for the deaf community?

Yeah right. :roll:

And you speak for the deaf community?

Yeah right. :roll:

Where exactly, did I say that? I said the deaf understand your contradictions. I am basing that on their responses to your posts. They have spoken for themselves.

Still not answering questions, though, are you? Avoidance will get you nowhere. It tells much more than your words do.

Back