What did you learn today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have received my replacement NZ driver license today (had to get one of the condition removed - Wearing hearing aids condition, it would be a fine of $400 if I was stopped by NZ police, so I had to get it removed) and I learned that when I got my full license first time, it was issued a day after my youngest brother birthday in 1998. :shock:

That reminds me of my cousin's late husband. The plane crashed the tower, where he works and that killed him instantly. That left my cousin, their small children and then 3 months pregnant. It's sad that her 9 1/2 years old son never saw his father... It's still so sad... Sigh..

I am sorry about your Uncle's friends's daughter's loss, Shel. :hug:

That reminds me of my cousin's late husband. The plane crashed the tower, where he works and that killed him instantly. That left my cousin, their small children and then 3 months pregnant. It's sad that her 9 1/2 years old son never saw his father... It's still so sad... Sigh..

I am sorry about your Uncle's friends's daughter's loss, Shel. :hug:

How horrible. I am sorry.

I just didnt realize that my uncle knew them and the family. Yea, I feel terrible for the families of that tragic day. You hope that it never happens to any of us. Scary.

How horrible. I am sorry.

I just didnt realize that my uncle knew them and the family. Yea, I feel terrible for the families of that tragic day. You hope that it never happens to any of us. Scary.

They found his body SIX months later and they also found his wedding band, which is in a pretty good shape, half burnt.. When they brought it to my cousin's home. She cried and cried when she saw his ring.. Not good feeling... I am worried about my cousin's drinking problem because she still misses her husband. Sigh... Thanks...

I felt so terrible for the little girl's parents, too because she had so much full of life as they described. She was born 9/11/01, that gave me goosebumps. My thoughts and prayers go to the girl's parents and family.
Yes, it's scary... I pray it will NOT happen again!!! Of course, it's still scary..
(My stepfather's birthday is 9/11 as well.. He said he doesn't want anyone to celebrate his birthday because of Sept events.)

OK, now, I am back. I just spoke with my mother via Skype as same time. She was telling me that her brother (as my Uncle) was suppsed to go under the "cyber knife" for the return of cancer in his chest and head but she haven't heard if it was done as yet. He told her that the machine costs $6 million dollars. It is actually a robot that does the cutting. First my aunt (my father's sister) and now, my Uncle.. and I have another Uncle also has had cancer. Now, the cancer is all gone but he still is having trouble with his legs, from below the knees, and including his feet. Drs blamed it on the chemo setting in his lower legs, and killing the nerves. Sigh..

Latest update as of yesterday regarding my good friend who was my maid of honor. These posts come from Faith's sister Cindy on Facebook.

Update..Faith had 1 unit of platelets yesterday, and 2 more today as they dropped to 12,000. Lauren and I went to see her this afternoon, she looks better but is very tired. We will hopefully know more tomorrow once her regular doctors see her.

Have a new update:

Latest on my sister...they moved her room, she is in isolation since her white count is back to 1 and platelets dropped to 11,000. They gave her platelets today. The swelling in her stomach is going down some, thank God. She really appreciates all the comments, thoughts and prayers and they really make her feel better.

Off topic:
Being stuck in the hospital myself I understand..Please remind your sister, With Faith , all things are possible" smile..Peace to her and your family.M♥♥♥

I was reminded today how fearful ppl are of any change or anything unknown to them...all the TD ppl saying AD is boring and too hard..give it a chance..I do admit a live chat would help..smile..please be kind to one another.M♥♥♥

Have a new update:

Latest on my sister...they moved her room, she is in isolation since her white count is back to 1 and platelets dropped to 11,000. They gave her platelets today. The swelling in her stomach is going down some, thank God. She really appreciates all the comments, thoughts and prayers and they really make her feel better.

11,000 is a very dangerous level to be at. Is it ITP?

11,000 is a very dangerous level to be at. Is it ITP?

She has cirrhosis of the liver due to an incompetent doctor a number of years ago. They were trying her out with different medicines for her rheumatoid arthritis and really mixing things up and did not keep an eye on blood work and she got Hepatitis C which then moved to cirrhosis of the liver. She has a lot of other medical issues as well (part of intestines removed and other things). She is a trooper and is my absolute best friend. Not my sister.

She has cirrhosis of the liver due to an incompetent doctor a number of years ago. They were trying her out with different medicines for her rheumatoid arthritis and really mixing things up and did not keep an eye on blood work and she got Hepatitis C which then moved to cirrhosis of the liver. She has a lot of other medical issues as well (part of intestines removed and other things). She is a trooper and is my absolute best friend. Not my sister.

I hope she'll be able to make it through this.

I learned today that my niece got offered an place in Legal Practice Management course. Am surprised she chose that as she told us she wanted to work with little kiddies.

By the way, I have no idea what the course entails.

I learned that Tyson is shutting down yet another shift in another plant. I have a feeling the poultry business is going belly-up. I hope they don't decide to cut growers. That would not be good at all as there is NOTHING out there. If it were not for my family I would still be out of work. I am very thankful for the job I have knowing the job market is still very poor right now.

I wonder why the poultry market is taking a dive.

I eat more chicken than red meat and I know is less expensive.

You'd think with the economy being down, people would be eating cheaper.

I wonder why the poultry market is taking a dive.

I eat more chicken than red meat and I know is less expensive.

You'd think with the economy being down, people would be eating cheaper.

Ever heard of Avian Bird Flu? That happend 2-3 years ago and people are still afraid to eat chicken. People are also raising their own chickens rather than purchasing processed chicken as they can use the chicken for eggs and when it stops laying eggs they use it for meat. You find this happening more often in rural areas rather than in urban or suburban settings. It's cheaper and more economical to raise your own chicken rather then purchase it from the store.

I remember my granny having her own chicken coop when I was younger. She was the only breadwinner for a family of 8. She learned quickly how to feed the family on a budget.

Also major poultry producers such as Tyson are also no longer profitable. With fewer people eating out, restaurant chains are no longer filling orders from processors like they used to. I have heard that Tyson is cutting back production still after severing their ties with Petit Jean Poultry, whom I worked for, for 2 years. I was laid off when the plant closed down. They have cut shifts at two plants. There's still a possibility that our local Tyson may eliminate a shift if it is not profitable. If they eliminate shifts and cut production then they have to cut growers. That's scary considering my aunt and uncle's farm has Tyson houses. :shock: We have laying houses but our eggs become broiler chickens.

Ever heard of Avian Bird Flu? That happend 2-3 years ago and people are still afraid to eat chicken. People are also raising their own chickens rather than purchasing processed chicken as they can use the chicken for eggs and when it stops laying eggs they use it for meat. You find this happening more often in rural areas rather than in urban or suburban settings. It's cheaper and more economical to raise your own chicken rather then purchase it from the store.

I remember my granny having her own chicken coop when I was younger. She was the only breadwinner for a family of 8. She learned quickly how to feed the family on a budget.

Also major poultry producers such as Tyson are also no longer profitable. With fewer people eating out, restaurant chains are no longer filling orders from processors like they used to. I have heard that Tyson is cutting back production still after severing their ties with Petit Jean Poultry, whom I worked for, for 2 years. I was laid off when the plant closed down. They have cut shifts at two plants. There's still a possibility that our local Tyson may eliminate a shift if it is not profitable. If they eliminate shifts and cut production then they have to cut growers. That's scary considering my aunt and uncle's farm has Tyson houses. :shock: We have laying houses but our eggs become broiler chickens.
thats not the reason it's getting really hard to find any tyson products in Boulder. It's the treatment of the chicken before it arrives to the meat section of the store.

We're a fan of never frozen, naturally, organically raised. I prefer free range if possible.

thats not the reason it's getting really hard to find any tyson products in Boulder. It's the treatment of the chicken before it arrives to the meat section of the store.

We're a fan of never frozen, naturally, organically raised. I prefer free range if possible.

Boulder is more of an upscale type of town. Not everyone in Boulder is like that, but at the same time a lot people who live in Boulder can generally afford organic chicken. It's incredibly hard to find free range chicken unless you raise them yourself in a good sized coop. Organic chicken tends to cost more than 'normal' chicken as they require more square footage per bird to raise them. If I am not mistaken, doesn't a vet usually check the conditions of the chickens on the farm that is raising them to ensure they meet all the requirements for organically grown?

Boulder is more of an upscale type of town. Not everyone in Boulder is like that, but at the same time a lot people who live in Boulder can generally afford organic chicken. It's incredibly hard to find free range chicken unless you raise them yourself in a good sized coop. Organic chicken tends to cost more than 'normal' chicken as they require more square footage per bird to raise them. If I am not mistaken, doesn't a vet usually check the conditions of the chickens on the farm that is raising them to ensure they meet all the requirements for organically grown?

yeah they do.

just was letting you know of some stuff related to tyson.

I didn't like finding out that you couldnt fit the breast skin back over the chicken because the hormones make the chicken grow out their skin. Their skin doesnt grow as much as the chicken, resulting in tight skin while alive. Sickening.

Natural chickens you can roll the skin back over the breast with no issues.

Tyson chickens are always DRY while natural is very juicy while cooked.

Many issues with the chickens that goes thru tyson.

I learned that inexperienced people can be very inspirational.

I also learned that I can't spell correctly to save my life.

Today I learned some ASL phrases and I also learned how engaging and visceral the language is!

Damn Boulder hippies :giggle:

kidding kidding :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back