What did you learn today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 18 year old niece will be getting hearing aids in both ears. She began to lose hearing at age 15 .

She won't feel alone having you in the family. Hope she's coping with it well.

I see that you have a Linux machine. What other kind of coding do you do? C#?
The only coding I do is what's required for my degree. :lol:

Back in the day (the 1980's) I learned Basic, COBOL, and Fortran. I also learned that even though it was interesting, I didn't want to spend my life sitting at a computer doing that.

Now I have to take this course in PHP. It started out OK but now I'm falling behind. It doesn't help that I'm taking accelerated semesters. Each one is about eight weeks long, so it's a big rush to get things done. The classes are online, so I also don't have immediate access to help from the instructor.

Linux is just one of my computers (it's a 40-lb server monster). I don't use it for everyday stuff like AD posting (got my MacBookPro for that). Most of my school work I do on our desk-top HP, Windows 7 Professional because most of the courses use Windows 7. I have a Windows 8.1 Samsung tablet, and a Google Nexus (Android) phone.

I learned that PHP coding is definitely not my cup of tea. :(

The only coding I do is what's required for my degree. :lol:

Back in the day (the 1980's) I learned Basic, COBOL, and Fortran. I also learned that even though it was interesting, I didn't want to spend my life sitting at a computer doing that.

Now I have to take this course in PHP. It started out OK but now I'm falling behind. It doesn't help that I'm taking accelerated semesters. Each one is about eight weeks long, so it's a big rush to get things done. The classes are online, so I also don't have immediate access to help from the instructor.

Linux is just one of my computers (it's a 40-lb server monster). I don't use it for everyday stuff like AD posting (got my MacBookPro for that). Most of my school work I do on our desk-top HP, Windows 7 Professional because most of the courses use Windows 7. I have a Windows 8.1 Samsung tablet, and a Google Nexus (Android) phone.

Wow.. I actually like PHP but then it was more or less a 'beginner/basic' class from online one of those freebie classes. I did find that Ruby was better/easier though. Finishing up javascript now and might try Python next. Accelerated semesters are killer- its why I never did well with summer school lol... I could have done better in Art History but hated going to class every day for it. Interestingly when I got into learning programming I took a 7 month 'accelerated' course in computer programming (heavily COBOL/CICS/JCL and DB2 but with a little VB 4, Access and C++ thrown in) I attended class every day from 8:30 to 3:30 or something like that.

did that person won some lottery today that make you realize that you should have married to that person yesterday? :laugh2:

Haha!! :laugh2: i wish!! lol nah i had learned something about an ex awhile back which got me thinking and well now i dont even care anymore about anymore now. oh well then

Bridge lift got cancelled today. Ah, well. At least not all is lost.

Exactly what is a bridge lift?

Drawbridge lift. It signals the end of the boating season on Lake Michigan. It was supposed to end today, but they've postponed it until Sept. 24th. I shall be back here by then.

Drawbridge lift. It signals the end of the boating season on Lake Michigan. It was supposed to end today, but they've postponed it until Sept. 24th. I shall be back here by then.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOLLauVFW-M[/ame]

is this the bridge you're talking about ?

There's more than one. There's 37 of them. Five are in my area that I can easily reach.

The one we have near here doesn't open up, but goes up and down. High up enough to let the boats pass through. Are yours like that too?

The one we have near here doesn't open up, but goes up and down. High up enough to let the boats pass through. Are yours like that too?

No. They actually do open up. In fact, there's one that's open that's not being used right now. I'll have to see if I can get a photo of it, and post it here. That is, if I can find it. Walking around downtown is no easy task.

I saw the Chicago bridge lift from my hotel room back in the 80's. It was near. The guy opens one bridge, the tall boats go through, he closes the bridge and goes to the next bridge. Meanwhile the boats float around between the bridges. And so it goes for quite a few bridges.

There's more than one. There's 37 of them. Five are in my area that I can easily reach.

I live in a small city and we only have 3 draw bridges . I knew you had more than one but not that many. I hated getting stuck on one open when I was working at a health aide b/c my client would lose time in getting help. The bridge I posted looked better than our.

As I promised, the drawbridge that's not in use at this time, and mind you, getting it did not come as easy as I would have liked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back