What did you learn today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I learned that I still get dreams that scare the living daylights out of me, and I don't scare easily, but this was way too realistic, and highly unlikely to ever happen.

That plumbers can be very expense , a plumber just called and he charge
$200 per hour ! :shock: Is that what plumbers want now???

I also learned it's a good idea to check out a plumber before calling them . I was going to call one and found out his Ma. license is suspension . Some plumbers do not print their
license # and now that is making me wonder why .

Last edited:
Oh, wow, that's bad news. :(

Last week, a friend of someone at my church had a similar accident. While cooking, he spilled the hot oil on his arm, hand, leg, and foot. He's in a burn center and will be getting skin grafts.

Is your friend in a burn center? Will she need grafts?

Yes, she is at John Hopkins Burn Center in Baltimore. She was supposed to get a sonogram today to see how deep the burns are but it got postponed to tmw. They will decide based on the results. She is black and about 95% skin from her shoulder to fingers have melted off so her arm is as white as mine. She showed me a picture of her arm between the changing of guaze (spelling?). It is horrific!

ohhhh was your friend's limbs exposed or covered up with clothing?

I hope your friend feels better in the long run. Cooking oil is not easy to handle, and should only be used by those who have handled it before. I, myself had to learn the proper way to cook with it-- high heat is a bad idea-- medium heat is best. 2nd and 3rd degree burns are serious burns, and will take a long time to recover from. Wishing for a speedy recovery for your friend, although she has a long road ahead.

Thanks..she is thinking positive thoughts.

so how did you cook it from the beginning if you have never handled it before? :hmm:

I've had years under my belt now. I had to observe carefully, and learn, and adjust accordingly. Heck, I've even got corn oil downstairs waiting to be used. :P

Yes, she is at John Hopkins Burn Center in Baltimore. She was supposed to get a sonogram today to see how deep the burns are but it got postponed to tmw. They will decide based on the results. She is black and about 95% skin from her shoulder to fingers have melted off so her arm is as white as mine. She showed me a picture of her arm between the changing of guaze (spelling?). It is horrific!

It was a friend of a friend, and she didn't have a lot of details yet. He was taken to a burn center out of town, so she's getting her information second hand.

It's good that your friend is in a well-known burn center--she should be getting excellent care there.

I hope her damage didn't effect the use of her fingers or arm.

I'm afraid she's in for a long period of recovery. Serious burns are slow healing. If there is deep tissue damage she may need physical/occupational therapy, too.

I hope that she is getting enough pain management.

years ago I was frying chips I got side tracked and burned our kitchen down...never lover of frying since then

Shel.....sorry to hear this terrible news. Burns are awful and extremely painful. I hope she is getting good pain control, she needs it. She is lucky to have a great friend like you. It's going to be a long road to recovery. Stay strong I'm sending positive thoughts your way.

I learned that my friend burned her whole arm with hot cooking oil by my accident at my house on Sat and she has been hospitalized since then. Came home from our camping trip to this news. Spent 3 hours at the hospital with her last night. 2nd and 3rd degree burns on her arm. *sighs*

I am sorry to hear that , it sound very painful.

If there is room for dirt under the nail, it is too long.

Wrong! His fingernails are already cut below the fingernails beds and you can get dirt under fingernails cut short. I had broken a fingernail below the bed and got dirt in it planting flowers. You need to look at his nails closer and you can see how short they're. They fine in length .

10012550_10152329125054394_281859318775485570_n.jpg

I leanred that the mayor is throwing me a "surprise" party on friday and raising my pay. I think he forgot i see all the paperwork. Lol

I just learned this, and now I want to try it... :hmm: I'm more curious, how in the hell... does it prevent it.... :shock: Scientifically speaking... how does it prevent it from boiling over? :hmm: Now I'm going to be looking this up and experimenting with Mac and Cheese instead of studying because THIS MAKES NO LOGICAL SENSE! :laugh2:

It was done on-line. He blew mine, too, and now he's trying to get his money back.
It's possible to get receipts online. Many businesses send a receipt to the email address.

That wooden spoon on a boiling pot does not work-- at least for me it never did. Still overflowed...:P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back