What did you learn today? Part II

Santa arrived at our local mall. Bah Humbug
I did notice last weekend the mall already had Christmas decoration up.
Now, that being said, I pulled out a couple of Christmas shirts/sweatshirts yesterday - to pack for my trip as I will be still in Utah on Black Friday.

You mean that once I am certified here in AR I can take some sort of cross examination for certification to teach in AUS?? That's wild.

That could be a great experience for you in Australia. I almost did my student teaching in the Philipinnes but 9/11 happened.

The worse my hearing gets the better my vision gets! To think they told me my vision would get worse as I get older. I was near sighted in my L eye, farsighted in R, and have astigmatism . I now only have astigmatism. :).

I cannot believe my eyes. Someone else has discovered the same thing that I did a while ago. If your hearing gets worse, then those cells that were used for hearing get occupied with other tasks. The brain is said to be 'plastic' meaning that cells can be reprogrammed.

I have always liked sitting in the front in cinemas while my friends liked sitting in the back. This has always confused me. Then I read this article: BBC News - Deaf people 'can rewire brains'. It says that a deaf cat had better vision than otherwise and more brain regions were involved in processing vision. It is assumed that the same phenomenon occurs in our species, Homo Sapiens.

Correction: It is the peripheral vision (the sides) that gets better. The foveal vision (what you are looking at) does not get better. I think that that is correct.

Last edited:
seriously I dont remember if i have mentioned it before. last night i was at my girlfriends place for a SPA party. Yeah it was only for ladies but one of my friend got stuck. She had a "babysitter" but she wanted to take him out of home and gave the other mom a break. The mom can have time for herself at home or somewhere. So she brought her "friend" to SPA. He's a 16 yrs old and have down syndrome. I saw him many time at the deaf events. all the time i totally thought he's deaf. He signed all the time. last night I used my voice for some reasons. He turned his head looking at me and signed to me. I was stunned then asked my friend about it. She said, " oh hes hearing!" I am floored! He signs like deaf and very asl. I know i met him and i know someone did tell me he was hearing. i kept forgetting that hes hearing. thats something i learn about down syndrome hearing kids would have been beneficial to ASL. :)

I cannot believe my eyes. Someone else has discovered the same thing that I did a while ago. If your hearing gets worse, then those cells that were used for hearing get occupied with other tasks. The brain is said to be 'plastic' meaning that cells can be reprogrammed.

I have always liked sitting in the front in cinemas while my friends liked sitting in the back. This has always confused me. Then I read this article: BBC News - Deaf people 'can rewire brains'. It says that a deaf cat had better vision than otherwise and more brain regions were involved in processing vision. It is assumed that the same phenomenon occurs in our species, Homo Sapiens.

I think jillio has posted about this on several occasions. I find it interesting that deaf adults "can also react to objects in their peripheral vision more quickly than hearing adults, while deaf children react more slowly than their hearing counterparts". According to your link, they think that indicates that it takes time for the auditory section to make the switch to processing visual information.

I haven't developed enhanced visual powers yet. I don't even know if that's possible. :hmm:

My kid got a scholarship. I'm really proud of him. Now, the hard part will be whether to accept it. :cool2:

seriously I dont remember if i have mentioned it before. last night i was at my girlfriends place for a SPA party. Yeah it was only for ladies but one of my friend got stuck. She had a "babysitter" but she wanted to take him out of home and gave the other mom a break. The mom can have time for herself at home or somewhere. So she brought her "friend" to SPA. He's a 16 yrs old and have down syndrome. I saw him many time at the deaf events. all the time i totally thought he's deaf. He signed all the time. last night I used my voice for some reasons. He turned his head looking at me and signed to me. I was stunned then asked my friend about it. She said, " oh hes hearing!" I am floored! He signs like deaf and very asl. I know i met him and i know someone did tell me he was hearing. i kept forgetting that hes hearing. thats something i learn about down syndrome hearing kids would have been beneficial to ASL. :)

I have a long distance friend who has a down syndrome son & I remember her mentioning learning ASL to use with him when he was little. Not sure they've kept up with it though.

my son has autism and uses some asl for communication because he has a very limited vocabulary. he can sign some things he can not otherwise say... it is very common for children with delays.. to learn sign language.. as a communication. :)
a lot of the teachers in special education at our local schools teach it to the kids.

That's interesting!

My hands get so roughly used, I haven't used polish in years. Not to mention all the spots where I've picked at the cuticles (or bitten or cut) and they've bled.

I'm learning that either I'm getting spammed or there are a hell of a lot of lonely deaf people out there who are willing to email just about anyone seeking for love and money. I keep getting emails from a deaf woman looking to marry a man. Last I checked, I'm a female. Argh.

Back