What communication tools was you raised in?

I must say that I visited a completely deaf school, where I experienced deaf culture first hand, but I never fit in at all, God knows why? But, honestly I don't regret having gone the oral approach, because I've seen so much!! My parent's speak with me, well, everyone does, and its nice, because they don't isolate me!!

Kashveera

I dont know how it works in your country but u mentioned that u are glad that u grew up using the oral approach cuz you have seen so much. So, are the deaf students at the deaf schools there isolated and dont get to "see" much?

Here, in America..it is different...granted, in the old days, deaf schools kept the students isolated and away from the hearing world but that has changed in the last 20 years.

If that is not what u are referring to then are you saying that deaf children who use sign language dont get to "see" much simply because they use sign language? If that's your point of view, that is considered as a "better than u" attitude. I used to have that attitude and I was wrong..Deaf people using ASL here in the US got to see just as much as I did, if not more. I know this cuz my brother grew up using ASL and went to a deaf school.

Help me understand what u mean by "seeing" so much by using the oral approach?

Thanks

:aw: Oral all the way, and I first learn in Total communication (sign and talk at the same time) when I was 16, and then stop and oral all the way till I married to my husband, and just foundo out that we have a deaf neighbor, and I started to pick up to sign with her... I am very very rusty in sign languages.

I think the mode of communication used depends on how you were raised.. for example.. I was raised Oral with signing, and I started talking and using sign language at the same time because it was easiest for me at the time. It's still my way of talking with people. nowadays I still use Total communication becuase I like to sign.. and talking comes natural.

I have signed all of my life. When my parents suspected that I was deaf, they instantly went to night school to learn SEE so that they can communicate with me. I think my mother had a prior exposure to deafness because she has a cousin who is deaf and signs. Anyway, I was sent to a local school which had a program for deaf children. It was more or less of a total communication environment where we would sign in SEE and shreik at same time.

I started mainstreaming when I was in fifth grade and ever since then, I have been mainstreamed with ASL interpreters. Currently, I work at two ASL-friendly workplaces; one at a community college where we tutor ASL and two at a medical lab where several deaf people work plus several hearing people knowing sign language. I can't imagine a life without ASL, really!

MY parents first discovered that something was not quite right about me so they started shipping me off to a Special School as they thought I was retarded. Once there I started picking up the behaviors of the other kids there that I was previously not doing. Then one of the teachers noticed that when she was talking from behind me that I would not respond, and that whenever someone had there hand or something between me and their mouth I would move it out of the way so I could 'understand' them. Well turns out I had pretty much taught myself how to lip read and I was quite fluent with that. Once they realized there was nothing wrong with me intelectually is was the fact that I was not hearing things was the cause of me not being able to pick up on language and learning to walk. I never learned to walk until I was almost two years of age.

I remember having to go to all sorts of hearing tests and listening to beeps and boops. Eventually I had to start repeating the words being said. And they were the same words over and over. I think I eventually got to the point that I could memorize the list of words as many hearing tests as i had gone through in such a short time.

I was maintstreamed in public schools with no sign, but I was put in the Title I group, kids that may be lagging in certain areas, they more or less put me there because they were waiting for my language skills to catch up to the age group I was in. And after a year of mainstreamed Kindgergarten it was. I was always assigned to a front row seat where I always had a clear view of the teacher.

In second grade my parents started having me wear headphones and I was doing exceptionally well during that time because I was finally able to hear the lessons. Thats when they were reassured that there was nothing mentally wrong with me. It was just the fact that I was not able to hear. Then the other kids started complaining that I was getting special attention or more attention than they were so the headphones had to go and thats when things started to change for me. In third grade my grades were so poor that was just a few points shy of having to take remedial summer school. I was missing alot of key information I otherwise would have gotten if I had the right accomodations. Between my third grade and fourth grade year, we made a visit to the AR school for the deaf. My parents were trying to decide if this was a possibility for me. I dont remember much of it though as alot of my childhood is a blur of audiology visits and hearing tests and so forth. They decided against it and I continued to be mainstreamed in the same public school right up through graduation. I was the only deaf/hoh kid in that school and it was hard for me growing up as I was quite a loner. Thankfully there were a few people that seemed to reach out to me a bit and to them I opened up a bit and I was able to vent my frustrations with being deaf/hoh in a hearing school that wasnt too accomodating. I hated it. I was glad when I graduated. I was the first one out of that gymnasium with my HS diploma in hand.

During college I was still a little burned from my experiences in high school as a deaf/hoh kid so I kept quiet about it most of the time and I ended up working 10 times harder than I should have.

Should I ever get the opportunity to go back to school I hope to take full advantage of any deaf/hoh accomodations they may have. There is no reason why I should have to work harder to obtain the same information as everyone else.

So I guess I was mainstreamed the whole way with no sign language of any sort and I speak normally, mostly because I can hear my own voice.

MY parents first discovered that something was not quite right about me so they started shipping me off to a Special School as they thought I was retarded. Once there I started picking up the behaviors of the other kids there that I was previously not doing. Then one of the teachers noticed that when she was talking from behind me that I would not respond, and that whenever someone had there hand or something between me and their mouth I would move it out of the way so I could 'understand' them. Well turns out I had pretty much taught myself how to lip read and I was quite fluent with that. Once they realized there was nothing wrong with me intelectually is was the fact that I was not hearing things was the cause of me not being able to pick up on language and learning to walk. I never learned to walk until I was almost two years of age.

I remember having to go to all sorts of hearing tests and listening to beeps and boops. Eventually I had to start repeating the words being said. And they were the same words over and over. I think I eventually got to the point that I could memorize the list of words as many hearing tests as i had gone through in such a short time.

I was maintstreamed in public schools with no sign, but I was put in the Title I group, kids that may be lagging in certain areas, they more or less put me there because they were waiting for my language skills to catch up to the age group I was in. And after a year of mainstreamed Kindgergarten it was. I was always assigned to a front row seat where I always had a clear view of the teacher.

In second grade my parents started having me wear headphones and I was doing exceptionally well during that time because I was finally able to hear the lessons. Thats when they were reassured that there was nothing mentally wrong with me. It was just the fact that I was not able to hear. Then the other kids started complaining that I was getting special attention or more attention than they were so the headphones had to go and thats when things started to change for me. In third grade my grades were so poor that was just a few points shy of having to take remedial summer school. I was missing alot of key information I otherwise would have gotten if I had the right accomodations. Between my third grade and fourth grade year, we made a visit to the AR school for the deaf. My parents were trying to decide if this was a possibility for me. I dont remember much of it though as alot of my childhood is a blur of audiology visits and hearing tests and so forth. They decided against it and I continued to be mainstreamed in the same public school right up through graduation. I was the only deaf/hoh kid in that school and it was hard for me growing up as I was quite a loner. Thankfully there were a few people that seemed to reach out to me a bit and to them I opened up a bit and I was able to vent my frustrations with being deaf/hoh in a hearing school that wasnt too accomodating. I hated it. I was glad when I graduated. I was the first one out of that gymnasium with my HS diploma in hand.

During college I was still a little burned from my experiences in high school as a deaf/hoh kid so I kept quiet about it most of the time and I ended up working 10 times harder than I should have.

Should I ever get the opportunity to go back to school I hope to take full advantage of any deaf/hoh accomodations they may have. There is no reason why I should have to work harder to obtain the same information as everyone else.

So I guess I was mainstreamed the whole way with no sign language of any sort and I speak normally, mostly because I can hear my own voice.

I basically went thru the same thing as u did growing up. That's why I am very extremely burnt out from lipreading or trying to make my speech clear. I just gave up once I became fluent in ASL. Seems such a waste of all those times spech in speech therapy and audiologists offices? I wonder if I had a good balance of both oral and signing, maybe I wouldnt be so burnt out with lipreading as I am now? Who knows?

I am sorry that u felt that way. There is no reason for any of us having to work that much harder for everything

Thanks

Er...I will try to explain what she meant. She basically figured that she could function well enough in the hearing world and has a taste what it is all about. She been there long enough and is comfortable enough to know that is where she belongs.

I understand exactly what she meant by that statement...been there and done that.

Er...I will try to explain what she meant. She basically figured that she could function well enough in the hearing world and has a taste what it is all about. She been there long enough and is comfortable enough to know that is where she belongs.

I understand exactly what she meant by that statement...been there and done that.

Still I would like for her to answer..it just rings a lot of bells with me. Something similiar that was said in the past..I dont want to make assumptions so I hope she can answer to that. Also, I am curious to how it works at the deaf schools in her country.

Thanks

well, I was raised in an oral enviroment with communication. I was viewed as unable to communicate with my peers when my hearing first went out. That was at age 5 then my hearing returned within a month. I was still raised in oral school and in 4th grade is when I learned to sign by a sign language club. My parents were amazed at my fluency in it and disregarded my chance of learning it then at full pace. I changed schools and was oral only again until my hearing went and I was deaf (the first deaf person in that school) and was forced to remain oral even though I was learning signs at the time in 6th grade after I lost my hearing and I wanted to never talk again because I couldn't hear. People encourage me to keep talking and that my signs I learned had to stay out of the learning enviroment and even at home I couldnt sign because no one understood sign. Well when I started 7th grade I was to use an FM unit. That was a tool that forced me to be oral only still. After that that was how I lived my life until college, then in college I got interpreters. so now I am both oral and signing and want to remain that way.

KNEW THAT THERE ARE MANY OF US HAVE MANY THINGS TO SAY BECAUSE WE ALL GO THROUGH DIFFERENT EXPERIENCE..AS SAME AS COMMON WHAT WE HAD..
MY BELIEVE THAT...
HEARING GO TO HEARING SCHOOL
BLIND GO TO BLIND SCHOOL
DEAF GO TO DEAF SCHOOL
SO WE ALL FEEL COMFORTABLE TO BE IN SAME AS OTHER KIDS,
WONT BE LEFT OUT..
SAME WITH PARENTS, WISH THEY LEARN SIGN LANGUGES WHILE THEIR KIDS WERE YOUNG..SO KIDS WONT FEEL IGNORE, LEFTOUT, LONELY AT HOME AT EVENING..OR MAKE KIDS LOOK AT THEIR FACE/LIPS TO TRY FIGURE OUT WHAT THEY SAID.
MY FRIENDS TOLD ME THAT NOW HER PARENT TAKEN SIGN LANGUAGES CLASS, THEY ARE OVER 60 YRS OLD...SHE WISH HER PARENT DID IT WHEN SHE WAS LITTLE GIRL..ITS SO SAD..
SAME WITH A DEAF GUY I TALKED TO, HE TOLD ME.."WISH I CAN PULL YEARS GO BACK TO 1970'S SO I WOULD TELL PARENT ...NONO..I DONT WANT GO HEARING SCHOOL..STAY AT DEAF SCHOOL..BUT HIS PARENT PULL HIM OUT OF DEAF SCHOOL, MAKE HIM GO TO HEARING SCHOOL..HE SAID HE WISHED TO STAY AT DEAF SCHOOL UNTIL GRADUATE..BECAUSE NOW HE LEARN SIGN LANGUAGES..
SOMETIME PARENT MAKE DECISION BECAUSE THEY WANT TO DO THAT..BUT FORGET WHAT DOES KIDS WANT? MAKE KIDS HAPPY??
SOME KIDS HAVE HARD TIME GO THRU ORAL SCHOOL, LEARN SLOW..
SOME KIDS HAVE WONDERFUL, SUCCESSFUL GO THRU ORAL SCHOOL..
SOME KIDS HAVE HARD TIME GO THRU DEAF SCHOOL, LEARN SLOW
SOME KIDS HAVE WONDERFUL, SUCCESSFUL GO THRU DEAF SCHOOL..
WELL...MY FEELING IS...ITS PARENT'S RESPONSIBLE TO BE THERE FOR THEIR KIDS, SPEND TIME WITH DEAF KIDS AT NIGHT TIME THAT WHAT THEY DO TO HEARING KIDS EVERY NIGHT..
SOME HEARING PARENT WONT LET KIDS LEARN SIGN LANGUAGES, MAKE THEM LEARN ORAL BECAUSE PARENT WANT (FORCE) THEM TO LEARN..
ITS HARD ON KIDS, DO WHAT PARENT WANT, FOR PARENT'S PROUD. ALSO
SOME PARENTS ARE SO EMBARRASSMENT THAT THEIR KIDS ARE DEAF.
BUT ITS NOTHING WRONG!! JUST OUR EARDRUMS BROKE!!
WE HAVE EYES, HANDS,MOUTH, VOICE TO DO OUR COMMUNICATE!! (smile)
BUT AFTER YEARS LATER, PARENT ENDUP LEARN SIGN LANGUAGES..
I DO FEEL BAD FOR THOSE KIDS..
SOME OF MY HEARING FRIENDS SAID..OH BOY...LEARN SIGN LANGUAGES ARE SUCH FUN..THEY LOVE IT..
~~~~ASL IS BEAUTIFUL~~~

I disagree with the whole

"HEARING GO TO HEARING SCHOOL
BLIND GO TO BLIND SCHOOL
DEAF GO TO DEAF SCHOOL"

Not every deaf or blind child will succeed when they go to the school that suits their deafness or blindness. While I don't know how I would have fared if I had gone to the local school for the deaf, I believe that each child has their own abilities, and there is no "one size fits all" program for anyone. Some deaf may do better in mainstreamed schools, others may do better in deaf schools, or blind schools.

KNEW THAT THERE ARE MANY OF US HAVE MANY THINGS TO SAY BECAUSE WE ALL GO THROUGH DIFFERENT EXPERIENCE..AS SAME AS COMMON WHAT WE HAD..
MY BELIEVE THAT...
BLIND GO TO BLIND SCHOOL
DEAF GO TO DEAF SCHOOL
WONT BE LEFT OUT..
SAME WITH PARENTS, WISH THEY LEARN SIGN LANGUGES WHILE THEIR KIDS WERE YOUNG..SO KIDS WONT FEEL IGNORE, LEFTOUT, LONELY AT HOME AT EVENING..OR MAKE KIDS LOOK AT THEIR FACE/LIPS TO TRY FIGURE OUT WHAT THEY SAID.
MY FRIENDS TOLD ME THAT NOW HER PARENT TAKEN SIGN LANGUAGES CLASS, THEY ARE OVER 60 YRS OLD...SHE WISH HER PARENT DID IT WHEN SHE WAS LITTLE GIRL..ITS SO SAD..
SAME WITH A DEAF GUY I TALKED TO, HE TOLD ME.."WISH I CAN PULL YEARS GO BACK TO 1970'S SO I WOULD TELL PARENT ...NONO..I DONT WANT GO HEARING SCHOOL..STAY AT DEAF SCHOOL..BUT HIS PARENT PULL HIM OUT OF DEAF SCHOOL, MAKE HIM GO TO HEARING SCHOOL..HE SAID HE WISHED TO STAY AT DEAF SCHOOL UNTIL GRADUATE..BECAUSE NOW HE LEARN SIGN LANGUAGES..
SOMETIME PARENT MAKE DECISION BECAUSE THEY WANT TO DO THAT..BUT FORGET WHAT DOES KIDS WANT? MAKE KIDS HAPPY??
WELL...MY FEELING IS...ITS PARENT'S RESPONSIBLE TO BE THERE FOR THEIR KIDS, SPEND TIME WITH DEAF KIDS AT NIGHT TIME THAT WHAT THEY DO TO HEARING KIDS EVERY NIGHT..
SOME HEARING PARENT WONT LET KIDS LEARN SIGN LANGUAGES, MAKE THEM LEARN ORAL BECAUSE PARENT WANT (FORCE) THEM TO LEARN..
SOME OF MY HEARING FRIENDS SAID..OH BOY...LEARN SIGN LANGUAGES ARE SUCH FUN..THEY LOVE IT..
~~~~ASL IS BEAUTIFUL~~~

U r right..ASL is beautiful and I am angry that I was denied it growing up but I am working on getting over it and appreciate that I got to learn it. I agree with u on everything except about all deaf going to deaf schools. It is impossible. The reason..some deaf children and their families live too far away from the deaf schools and many families don't want to put their small children in the dorms full time.
I know of two deaf children who r 4 years old and they r in pre k and full time dorm students. I just cannot imagine how hard it must be on their parents to only see them on Friday night to Sunday afternoon. The parents r so sweet cuz they know that their children need language since they are unable to provide it for them but I still feel for their heartbreak. However, many of my deaf friends said that's not a big deal cuz they were raised in the dorms since they were smal and all said they were happy because their families never learned ASL. They said they can't imagine growing up being at home without any comunication. I just try to see it from both perspectives. It is tough.

MY BELIEVE THAT...
BLIND GO TO BLIND SCHOOL
DEAF GO TO DEAF SCHOOL
WONT BE LEFT OUT..
BUT ITS NOTHING WRONG!! JUST OUR EARDRUMS BROKE!! Oh yours is broken? my eardrum is not but I am deaf go figure!
~~~~ASL IS BEAUTIFUL~~~
I disagree... meanwhile your post is offtopic..

the creator of this thread asked what communication tools were you raised in? not your hatred rant. eh.

oh by the way, QUIT YELLING! (a typing with caps locked are considered yelling or screaming on internet)

MY BELIEVE THAT...
BLIND GO TO BLIND SCHOOL
DEAF GO TO DEAF SCHOOL
WONT BE LEFT OUT..
~~~~ASL IS BEAUTIFUL~~~

Go easy on the capitalization....it feels like you're yelling! :eek3: Also, please learn how to make paragraphs! TL;DR!

Orally, Mainstreamed, Hearing HIgh school as there wasn't a sign language program until I was into College when I start using TC but after awhile I started to learn ASL in my late twenties or early thirties after playing deaf sports for a good 10 years before I retired after a bad injury while playing SloPitch... At first I really didn't really accept my hearing loss until late in College.. so it's NEVER TOO LATE TO LEARN ...I can sign, speak, hear exceptionally with my digital hearing aids and I do like TC as that's how I learned ASL pretty fast. Most people don't believe I'm HOH which I identify myself DEAF to show people Deaf can do anything. I'm just glad I have the best of both worlds actually three lol... ENGLISh, ASL, and TC.. sigh!!

opps forgot as I had a tutor while mainstreamed and speech therapy from 18 months old till around grade nine (it was very beneficial to me)

I think she meant.. "by visual" as seeing to communicate with our eyes (I'm just guessing here)

I think she meant.. "by visual" as seeing to communicate with our eyes (I'm just guessing here)

Just the way she phrased it after saying that she visited the deaf schools and glad that she was raised orally cuz she got to see so much. That makes me wonder if the deaf children at the schools in her country are completely isolated or it is her own personal view that because she grew up orally, she got to "see" more as opposed if she grew up signing. I used to say the latter growing up about experiencing more just cuz I grew up orally but that view changed once I became fluent in ASL and got involved with the deaf community. I would rather not jump to any assumptions so that's why I am hoping she will answer.

***Sighs***

Shel and C_Chick...

The vernacular for "seeing so much" is used a lot in the hearing world. The main idea is similar to "seeing the world" whereas one has learned so much by going to and being in new places. It is not solely focused on what one sees but also of the other senses (hear, smell). That is why I ventured my interpretation to Shel what Kashveera was trying to say. I can tell she has been in the hearing world a great deal by how she writes her sentences. Then there is the context of her obvious hesitation to be a part of the deaf world after being in the hearing world as if it were Pandora's box (no going back for her).

***Sighs***

Shel and C_Chick...

The vernacular for "seeing so much" is used a lot in the hearing world. The main idea is similar to "seeing the world" whereas one has learned so much by going to and being in new places. It is not solely focused on what one sees but also of the other senses (hear, smell). That is why I ventured my interpretation to Shel what Kashveera was trying to say. I can tell she has been in the hearing world a great deal by how she writes her sentences. Then there is the context of her obvious hesitation to be a part of the deaf world after being in the hearing world as if it were Pandora's box (no going back for her).

I wasnt referring to her sense..I was referring to the phrase itself..I know what it means cuz I use it myself too since I grew up in the heairng world. That's why i wanted to know what she meant by that...did she meant by that by being raised orally, she got to see so much or is it cuz deaf students at the deaf schools dont get to experience as much due to a different belief system there? Like more "institualized"...

I wasnt referring to her sense..I was referring to the phrase itself..I know what it means cuz I use it myself too since I grew up in the heairng world. That's why i wanted to know what she meant by that...did she meant by that by being raised orally, she got to see so much or is it cuz deaf students at the deaf schools dont get to experience as much due to a different belief system there? Like more "institualized"...

You probably hit the nail on the head with the institutionalize bit... I have no idea what deaf education is like in other parts of the world. I would surmise the struggles you mentioned (here in the US) many times that it would be worst elsewhere (depending on the country of course).

Back