what causes ppl to be born deaf?

questionsplz

Reaction score
or for ppl to lose their hearing as a young person?

are there diseases that can make a person go deaf, like how a person can go blind?

why can't deafness be cured?

is it a nerve problem?

There are many causes of deafness including spinal meningitis, rubella and Usher's Sydrome to name a few. Newborns can also lose their hearing from premature birth or ototoxic drugs. Some children lose their hearing from ear infections or an injury to the head and/or ears. My progressive hearing loss was caused by premature birth, ototoxic drugs, antibiotics, ear infections and years of untreated allergies.

There are many many causes for deafness at birth or shortly after.

It can't be "cured" because it is not a disease.

Sometimes the auditory nerve is damaged, sometimes it isn't.

Genetics from either of my parents' sides or from both. My brother and I were both born deaf.

My Mother had very high fever and had German Measles when she was pregnant with me. It was cause of my deafness.

Rubella is not something you carry with you all your life; deafness was the condition (there could be other results) that occured as a result of Mom having German Measles, along with the attending high fever which probably burned your nerves.

There are many causes of deafness including spinal meningitis, rubella and Usher's Sydrome to name a few. Newborns can also lose their hearing from premature birth or ototoxic drugs. Some children lose their hearing from ear infections or an injury to the head and/or ears. My progressive hearing loss was caused by premature birth, ototoxic drugs, antibiotics, ear infections and years of untreated allergies.

wow, there are so many causes. unbelievable and very sad. i sure do wish there were ways to reverse it.

There are many many causes for deafness at birth or shortly after.

It can't be "cured" because it is not a disease.

Sometimes the auditory nerve is damaged, sometimes it isn't.

thanks jillio, i'm sorry for calling it a disease.

Gene at my dad's side :)

:(

Genetics from either of my parents' sides or from both. My brother and I were both born deaf.

Rubella was the cause of my deafness.

My Mother had very high fever and had German Measles when she was pregnant with me. It was cause of my deafness.

oh man. :( thank god your alright.

Rubella is not something you carry with you all your life; deafness was the condition (there could be other results) that occured as a result of Mom having German Measles, along with the attending high fever which probably burned your nerves.

:( oh man, nerves can be burned.

* thanks everyone, one of my familiy members almost went deaf from a football game cannon that wnt off 2 inches from his left ear.

he said the whole stadium wnt silent. he had to go to the emergency room for emergency anti imflamatory drugs...maybe steroids i think. he had to see an audiologist and get many tests done.

eventually the cilia in his ears grew back...or something like that. he does have hearing loss though and had to maintain ear rest for months like not going to the movies, no head sets, no noise over so many decibles and had to wear ear muffs at home.

it was crazy and very scary for him.

he almost lost his ability to go in the military which was his dream.

wow, there are so many causes. unbelievable and very sad. i sure do wish there were ways to reverse it.

* thanks everyone, one of my familiy members almost went deaf from a football game cannon that wnt off 2 inches from his left ear.

he said the whole stadium wnt silent. he had to go to the emergency room for emergency anti imflamatory drugs...maybe steroids i think. he had to see an audiologist and get many tests done.

eventually the cilia in his ears grew back...or something like that. he does have hearing loss though and had to maintain ear rest for months like not going to the movies, no head sets, no noise over so many decibles and had to wear ear muffs at home.

I am not unhappy that I am deaf. I am so blessed in life. My deafness is not a big issue in my daily life like it was when I was growing up. Thank god!

Born deaf due difficult labor and sick for 1st 6 months. Only deaf in my whole family.

They never figured out why I was born deaf, but my nerves did not completely developed while i was in the womb.

No need to apologize. Its all good!:wave:

Lost my hearing at the age of 5 from illness.

That's right. Deafness is usually physical and you can't cure physical disabilities, but you can "fix" it in some ways depending on the deafness.

It can be "fixed" with hearing aids or cochlear implants, but that doesn't mean the deafness was cured.

I'm deaf due to this, which is a homozygous version of LQT5. It happens when someone gets the defective version of the gene from both parents.

Long QT syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This happens in 1-1.6 people per million. So if it happens uniformly around the world, there are around 10,000 people in the world and several hundred in the USA who are deaf for the same reason I am.

Back