What are you thinking about? Part VIII

I just wonder how many times, and for how long we should keep trying before we just decide to keep it. :hmm:

How about a weird suggestion- Talk to a news reporter and tell your story why Dell won't help you nor didn't send you a shipping address. :D

A bit of a contrast. I thought you said that you worked as a journalist while in the Navy.
Yes, I was. I worked mostly in the print medium, writing news stories and feature articles, and editing. I also did research (pre-internet) for speech writers and media presentations. I responded to media inquiries and set up press conferences. Writing, editing, research and organization were my strong points. I preferred the "behind the scenes" work.

When I was attending the Department of Defense Information School for all service journalists, it was mandatory for each student to take the radio/TV broadcaster audition. Those who passed it went on to advanced training to become broadcasters (like Robin Williams in Good Morning Vietnam). I failed the audition. Public speaking was not my thing.

I was perfectly happy to make the subjects of a story the centerpiece of attention, not me.

In the Navy. Reba may not want to make a public spectacle as a private citizen.
True, especially now with Parkinson's Disease. It effects my speech and appearance in not a good way. It also increases my anxiety in public. Bleh!

True, especially now with Parkinson's Disease. It effects my speech and appearance in not a good way. It also increases my anxiety in public. Bleh!

My father used to be great speaker in the public when he was in Marines, but not anymore after heart attack in 2002.

Yes, I was. I worked mostly in the print medium, writing news stories and feature articles, and editing. I also did research (pre-internet) for speech writers and media presentations. I responded to media inquiries and set up press conferences. Writing, editing, research and organization were my strong points. I preferred the "behind the scenes" work.

When I was attending the Department of Defense Information School for all service journalists, it was mandatory for each student to take the radio/TV broadcaster audition. Those who passed it went on to advanced training to become broadcasters (like Robin Williams in Good Morning Vietnam). I failed the audition. Public speaking was not my thing.

I was perfectly happy to make the subjects of a story the centerpiece of attention, not me.
That's cool on the research part ( pre-internet) did you get your info from the library? Do interviews with people?

That's cool on the research part ( pre-internet) did you get your info from the library? Do interviews with people?
Usually making a lot of phone calls or office visits or searching thru documents.

I'm thinking about my trip into the wilderness this spring. It's the North Cascades. I'll be searching for gold. Maybe $$$$$$ or maybe a blank. Who cares? Lol. :afro:

Usually making a lot of phone calls or office visits or searching thru documents.

I miss those times when I did research projects. Internet is nice but not like the physical hard work like making phone calls and visits . Miss those times .

I'm thinking about my trip into the wilderness this spring. It's the North Cascades. I'll be searching for gold. Maybe $$$$$$ or maybe a blank. Who cares? Lol. :afro:
Be safe! Sounds like fun and peaceful too.

A bit of a contrast. I thought you said that you worked as a journalist while in the Navy.

Good grief... that was a long time ago. We're talking about present... some people could not do a public appearance and you should have known that.

(only quoting so to keep track...)

In addition to the posts after this, some people do change over the years. Someone may be an outgoing kind of person who did public speaking all the time as a younger person but later in life is the complete opposite for many reasons.

(Me... I've always hated public speaking anyway- even though I took a Public Speaking class in college- had to- it was a choice between that and Group Discussion (or whatever it was called)...Working in groups I hated as much plus I was still a neophyte with ASL.

Back