Went to the doctor today...not good news.

ChasingRainbows

Reaction score
I know I haven't been here long and y'all don't know me, but I'm having a rough day..

I had another follow-up with my doctor today. She found some problems about 2 months ago and we're still waiting on answers as to what is causing them, but they are not getting better, and are getting worse.
I am going on medication for really high blood pressure and meds to lower my heart rate (she said the rate it's going is like I am running a marathon even if i'm sitting still and it's putting a lot of pressure on my heart). I also have really high cholesterol, my liver is quite enlarged and I need an ultrasound. I've had 2 rounds of bloodwork in the past week, this last one is to check for hepatitis.
She claims that I am an alcoholic, tho I disagree. I do agree that due to my health I need to cut back (which I have been) but it stresses me out that whenever I go to the doctor it gets printed on my paperwork.
I also need to quit smoking. So that's another thing I need to quit which is going to make me more stressed out, quitting one habit and cutting back on another. And my weight could be a factor so on top of everything else I need to exercise more and watch what I eat even more than I already do.

I'm really stressing over it, which doesn't help my health, but I can't help but stress. I'm only 24, this shouldn't be happening.

This sucks.

Wirelessly posted

ChasingRainbows said:
I know I haven't been here long and y'all don't know me, but I'm having a rough day..

I had another follow-up with my doctor today. She found some problems about 2 months ago and we're still waiting on answers as to what is causing them, but they are not getting better, and are getting worse.
I am going on medication for really high blood pressure and meds to lower my heart rate (she said the rate it's going is like I am running a marathon even if i'm sitting still and it's putting a lot of pressure on my heart). I also have really high cholesterol, my liver is quite enlarged and I need an ultrasound. I've had 2 rounds of bloodwork in the past week, this last one is to check for hepatitis.
She claims that I am an alcoholic, tho I disagree. I do agree that due to my health I need to cut back (which I have been) but it stresses me out that whenever I go to the doctor it gets printed on my paperwork.
I also need to quit smoking. So that's another thing I need to quit which is going to make me more stressed out, quitting one habit and cutting back on another. And my weight could be a factor so on top of everything else I need to exercise more and watch what I eat even more than I already do.

I'm really stressing over it, which doesn't help my health, but I can't help but stress. I'm only 24, this shouldn't be happening.

This sucks.

Take a breather, relax and take some time for yourself. I am not a therapist or anything sometimes having a quiet alone moment can help you.

Wow....at age 24 with all these health problems?....I'm not a Doctor, but all I can say is...WOW....perhaps your environment has something to do with this...smoking, drinking, overeating, depression. etc., etc.

Sit down and give yourself a good talking to....eat, drink and smoke in moderation is the key....are you exercising?....

Sometimes it takes something big and scary to take us out of a negative state. My vertigo took me out of partying and drinking (HS/college partying) and forced me into a clean and healthy lifestyle. It sucks that its a stressor but it could make you come out the other side happier and healthier for having experienced it. Positive spin, right?

Good luck. Take care of yourself!!

I can relate somewhat. I always hard labored and loved it.... I got injured and had 2 spinal surgeries, I could no longer do what I did before, became depressed and an asshole. I gained weight from 175 pounds I ballooned to 240 pounds... wasn't healthy at all. I always drank a lot of pepsi but since has cut back and quit eating fast foods and more veggies. I have dropped down to 190 again but want to get to 175 or at least 180. I feel better and been doing stuff ( working on a house ) until I get a new hobby in the near future. Just do whats good for you, set your mind to it and it will fall into place. You don't stop cold turkey as it will make it worst, just slowly cut back;

try start eating asian rice-based foods,,,and stick with it...and veges and plenty of water, keep it simple

try start eating asian rice-based foods,,,and stick with it...and veges and plenty of water, keep it simple

My sister is a health food educator... She messaged me yesterday about the relationship between imbalance (vertigo) and gluten... That's my next project (rice based foods)... After the favorite gluten filled snacks from my last grocery trip are eaten that is :)

How many drinks do you have a day? If you DR. said you're an alcoholics then you should listen to her . Alcoholics biggest problem is they great at denial of drinking too much.

Ive been going to walmart, in the produce isle they have Pico De Gallo already made in small tubs ( tomatoes, onions, jalapinos,lemon juice, chilantro...ect...) I eat it straight out of the container with totito chips plain....it fills me up fast, full of fiber and healthy. Yes, I drink a pepsi with it, but drink water and Gatorade the rest of the day. The pounds really drop off for me, I eat this as a snack in between meals. I eat normal meals home cooked ( tacos, chili and sometimes Shy Knees )

lets see how many figures that out because my wife couldn't at work and everyone was laughing at her...lol

The primary concern is liver health, you can not live without it. It's in your best interests to go cold turkey on the alcoholic beverage. Try exercizing to calm you down instead.

Enter substance abuse treatment.

Liver failure is a very unpleasant way to die.

Wow....at age 24 with all these health problems?....I'm not a Doctor, but all I can say is...WOW....perhaps your environment has something to do with this...smoking, drinking, overeating, depression. etc., etc.

Sit down and give yourself a good talking to....eat, drink and smoke in moderation is the key....are you exercising?....

Are you serious ? The Dr. said the OP is an alcoholic , and alcoholics do not know how to drink in moderation. I grew up with one, dad drink for only one reason and that was to get drunk. The OP first step is admitting they're an alcoholic and stop denying it.

How many drinks do you have a day? If you DR. said you're an alcoholics then you should listen to her . Alcoholics biggest problem is they great at denial of drinking too much.

Liver damage can also be related to diet sodas, medicine...

Giving the OP benefit of a doubt, I'd love to say it may not exclusively be alcohol.

Either way many things can hurt your health worse. Even Advil and over the counter drugs.

The doctors tests are likely non-judgemental... Liver function tests are not jaded by how the doctor stereotypes you. It's a number - a fact. Either way it's just getting yourself healthy :)

My suggestion? (My boyfriend is a patent lawyer and my sister is a natural health educator so I'm fed this information).... Strip your diet of fake sugars and preservatives... Eat raw clean food. So much crap that makes it to the shelves is really bad for your body. Diet soda for example has fake sugar that turns into methanol in your body which can make you blind over time. Research your preservatives - it could contribute to your liver function.

This might be the main reason why people aren't eating healthy - the cost of eating healthy.

If you can afford it, try to eat healthy food. Many people, including me, cannot afford to eat healthy because fruits & vegetables are not cheap compared to junk food. Everywhere you see junk food advertised on sale, buy one get one free so forth but rarely with fruits and vegetables. And also I don't live near stores so I can't stock up on fresh fruits & vegetables either.

Take one day at a time and try your best to improve your health little at a time.

Liver damage can also be related to diet sodas, medicine...

Giving the OP benefit of a doubt, I'd love to say it may not exclusively be alcohol.

Either way many things can hurt your health worse. Even Advil and over the counter drugs.

The doctors tests are likely non-judgemental... Liver function tests are not jaded by how the doctor stereotypes you. It's a number - a fact. Either way it's just getting yourself healthy :)

My suggestion? (My boyfriend is a patent lawyer and my sister is a natural health educator so I'm fed this information).... Strip your diet of fake sugars and preservatives... Eat raw clean food. So much crap that makes it to the shelves is really bad for your body. Diet soda for example has fake sugar that turns into methanol in your body which can make you blind over time. Research your preservatives - it could contribute to your liver function.

MAST Test - The Michigan Alcohol Screening Test
here a test for alcoholism

People like you are an alcoholic second worst enemy the first one is a person denying they're an alcoholic . Stop being an enabler.

MAST Test - The Michigan Alcohol Screening Test
here a test for alcoholism

People like you are an alcoholic second worst enemy the first one is a person denying they're an alcoholic . Stop being an enabler.

Never mean to be an enabler - I worked in a rehab/detox ward and its a hard disease for many reasons. We know so little about each other though beyond what we post online that its valid in my opinion to mention what ELSE can influence or add to poor liver function. For all we know its a few glasses PLUS something else. It's holistic. And if she's truly not influenced by alcohol she may not have thought about additives and preservatives. My boyfriend has physical problems which he blames on symptoms similar to eating GMO foods. It could also be glutens. Or alcohol (although he rarely drinks) - symptoms can be the same but doctors are trained for "when you hear hoof beats think horses, not zebras" - doctors always mention alcohol and exercise for problems and rarely brainstorm preliminarily for things like sensitivity to all the nasty processed foods until later.

Not intending to be an enabler. It's a holistic sweep for all bad things... Alcohol included. But also meds and additives.

WOW 24 years old, not a good way to be. I really hope you can get the help you need. You have your whole life ahead of you. Sounds like you have control over how you want your future to be. If you don't belive your doctor, get a second opinion. Even making small positive changes will help you feel better. Good luck!!!

Hey gal, been in your shoes before. I saw someone say to switch to a raw diet, which (as a microbiologist) I would never recommend. However, stripping out sugars and processed foods will help tremendously. I want to suggest to you a low carb diet. I know that has alot of controversy these days, however that's what I did to get healthy. I lost 100 pounds in a year, my LDL (the bad cholesterol) dropped to healthy levels while my HDL (the good cholesterol) went up to healthy levels. My blood pressure went down, my heart rate slowed to a normal rate and it used to just pound away like yours. I thought I would die of a heart attack in my 20s. All of my labs started coming back normal and on top of that I had been pre-diabetic and that is all gone now too.

Alcohol will keep you from losing weight because the human body is lazy and wants to burn the easiest thing first so it will store food as fat and burn alcohol instead. If you're going to put down your vices I suggest you start with the alcohol and save the smoking for later and focus on losing weight first as that will increase your health the fastest. When you do decide to try quitting smoking pick up an E-cigarette kit. You will get your nicotine but remove all of the harmful stuff from the cigarettes that actually cause the health issues. Nicotine by itself is no more harmful than caffeine and E-cigs are just water vapor and nicotine without all the carcinogens that raise your BP and speed your heart.

I can suggest two books to get you started. You can pick up the New Atkins book and follow that diet. Or you can pick up the book Why We Get Fat which goes into the science behind a low carb diet and why it works so well and why it has so many health benefits in regards to blood pressure and cholesterol etc. It also lists Duke Medical's recommended diet in the back of the book that gives you a list of foods you can have and foods to enjoy. I have been on a low carb diet long term (2 years now) and have had nothing but great benefits from it. And I've been able to maintain my weight loss with great success and still get to "cheat" on the weekends with food or alcohol. Of course when I'm in maintenance I can have low carb alcohols whenever I want, I just know that I will not be losing weight if I drink. But if you get away from alcohol full of carbs and stick to low carb alcohols it will at least not make you gain any more weight.

I've successfully gotten friends and family members on this diet who have also had great success even with smoking and drinking and not exercising. Exercise is important but sometimes that is impossible to do until you feel healthy enough to do it. I had to lose a good 40 pounds before I felt like even trying, but all the weight I lost I lost without having to get a gym membership or anything crazy.

Anyway, my point was, feel free to send me an email if you are interested in doing this and need any help or support. I know exactly how scary it is to be where you are. I'll never forget the doctor telling me that I was going to have to have major surgeries because of complications from my weight and being so scared for my life. And thinking of all the terrifying stuff my mom has been through with her health.

Good luck with whatever course you decide to take. Just remember to be good to yourself.

Yes, and that could explain the liver damage.

I'm sorry that you have been hit with all these physical problems, especially at such a young age.

It is time to evaluate your diet, add exercise, and subtract tobacco and alcohol. That should put you on the start to healthier living.

I would try really hard to work with the doctor on doing the above and not depending on medications as first choice. If you absolutely need meds, try to get the lowest dosages possible, and get periodic reevaluations. It's so much better to use life style changes than to use pills, if at all possible.

:hug:

Back