Went to the doctor today...not good news.

How many drinks do you have a day? If you DR. said you're an alcoholics then you should listen to her . Alcoholics biggest problem is they great at denial of drinking too much.

Take a lot of medicines that contain Acetaminophen (Tylenol) could damage the liver too.

My sister is a health food educator... She messaged me yesterday about the relationship between imbalance (vertigo) and gluten... That's my next project (rice based foods)... After the favorite gluten filled snacks from my last grocery trip are eaten that is :)

I agree on this, having followed a gluten free diet for about 8 years now, my vertigo from meniers has greatly improved, although not gone but I'm not on any medication now and haven't been for about 3 years.

I am actually gluten and lactose intolerant. I take dairy pills whenever I eat/drink dairy and I try to avoid gluten (sometimes my comfort foods win tho).
I am also on medication for Bipolar. I was diagnosed at 17 with Bipolar, OCD, PTSD, and anxiety, but a year ago my symptoms of the last 3 went away so I am currently only on meds to manage my Bipolar. One of the meds (Seroquel, which I've been on a high dose of for 7 years) is hard on the liver. Hopefully that's the cause of my liver problems, in which case I would just need to switch meds.
The doctor thinks I am an alcoholic because of the amount I drink. I like to drink to relax before my bed, and since I started drinking at age 15 my tolerance is high. So if I want to get a buzz I need to drink more than one shot or whatever I'm drinking.
Here is why I don't think I am an alcoholic: I go through drinking phases, I've quit more than once. I don't drink anything I can get my hands on. When I'm out to eat or at a bar I can have just one drink. I don't drink when I'm stressed. I don't always get a buzz when I drink.

Since moving to a 31 acre farm and getting a puppy, I've been getting more excercise and I've lost 5 lbs. in the past month. It may not sound like much, but at least it's something.

I'm actually the happiest I have ever been, and I'm trying not to let my health problems change that, but it's hard.

Thank you for replying.

I am actually gluten and lactose intolerant. I take dairy pills whenever I eat/drink dairy and I try to avoid gluten (sometimes my comfort foods win tho).
I am also on medication for Bipolar. I was diagnosed at 17 with Bipolar, OCD, PTSD, and anxiety, but a year ago my symptoms of the last 3 went away so I am currently only on meds to manage my Bipolar. One of the meds (Seroquel, which I've been on a high dose of for 7 years) is hard on the liver. Hopefully that's the cause of my liver problems, in which case I would just need to switch meds.
The doctor thinks I am an alcoholic because of the amount I drink. I like to drink to relax before my bed, and since I started drinking at age 15 my tolerance is high. So if I want to get a buzz I need to drink more than one shot or whatever I'm drinking.
Are you supposed to be drinking any alcohol at all combined with those medications? Also, since one of your meds already harms the liver, doesn't alcohol aggravate the damage?

I'm sorry to say that because you started drinking so young and have developed a tolerance for alcohol it does sound like you have a problem.

Here is why I don't think I am an alcoholic: I go through drinking phases, I've quit more than once. I don't drink anything I can get my hands on. When I'm out to eat or at a bar I can have just one drink. I don't drink when I'm stressed. I don't always get a buzz when I drink.
Do you realize that to other people those sound like rationalizations?

If you "quit" more than once, that's not really quitting.

Whether or not you're alcoholic, if the doctor says for the sake of your liver you must never drink another drop of alcohol for the rest of your life, can you do it?

Yes, and that could explain the liver damage.

I had friend that dies from drinking too much , he had liver damage. He dies in 2008 and I miss him dearly . We dated but stayed friends when we broke up.

Needing a drink to "relax before bed" is not a healthy option. You stated you take Seroquel, you should not drink alcohol while taking that med. Have you done any research on liver damamge? A lot of your medical issues could be related to liver damage. The liver is a very important organ that needs to be healthy for you to be healthy.

Since moving to a 31 acre farm and getting a puppy, I've been getting more excercise and I've lost 5 lbs. in the past month. It may not sound like much, but at least it's something.

I'm actually the happiest I have ever been, and I'm trying not to let my health problems change that, but it's hard.

If you are not able to stop drinking all together you're an alcoholic. You said you had quit more than once , and that tell me you can't go without drinking.
I try to drink a few times when I was younger and totally hated it. And I am glad because there was a long history of alcoholics on dad's side. My ex brother is an alcoholic . I had a friend that was an alcoholic and she deny it till the day she dies. I know the first step in AA I being able to get up at a meeting and say your name then say "I am an alcoholic. I am an Adult child of an alcoholic and I know this has nothing to do with me doing anything wrong. I will say if you use mouth wash you should buy the kind that has
no alcohol in it. And the same with cold meds .

I had friend that dies from drinking too much , he had liver damage. He dies in 2008 and I miss him dearly . We dated but stayed friends when we broke up.
My dad died from drinking and destroying his liver. He was only 66 years old, and the last years of his life were not pleasant. I visited him in the hospital but he didn't recognize me. He had the DT's and hallucinations by then. :(

so why is your health in a decline? are you having a lot of stress? from what?

My dad died from drinking and destroying his liver. He was only 66 years old, and the last years of his life were not pleasant. I visited him in the hospital but he didn't recognize me. He had the DT's and hallucinations by then. :(

Same with my grandfather - he was alcoholic and heavily tobacco smoker. He died from brain cancer, along with lung cancer and his liver was bad.

He constantly abused me about one year before he was diagnosed with cancer in 1994 and my life with grandparent was extremely miserable. I didn't know how to report to my parent about child abuse.

Same with my grandfather - he was alcoholic and heavily tobacco smoker. He died from brain cancer, along with lung cancer and his liver was bad.

He constantly abused me about one year before he was diagnosed with cancer in 1994 and my life with grandparent was extremely miserable. I didn't know how to report to my parent about child abuse.
My MIL was a heavy smoker from early teen years until late 70's. She's 85 now and in terrible health. She's been on oxygen 24/7 for several years now, and she has no energy whatsoever. She has all kinds of respiratory problems and congestive heart failure. Smokers don't age well either.

I am sorry to hear that. :hug:

My grandfather never got a chance to see me because he was a heavy smoker... died when my father was in 7th grade. throat cancer. grandmother died shortly after I was born.... cancer in chest or abdominal area... probably from secondhand smoking.

My grandfather never got a chance to see me because he was a heavy smoker... died when my father was in 7th grade. throat cancer. grandmother died shortly after I was born.... cancer in chest or abdominal area... probably from secondhand smoking.

far out...but yep thats believable though...sorry about that...

throat cancers can hit top shelves drinkers too...esp from those very high alcohol-burning drinks...

if you must wonder i dont whisky often at all,, maybe once a couple of months BUT I really do take whisky seriously like, its MUST be RIGHT, id never ever taste the cheap stuff again..but still Im cautious

far out...but yep thats believable though...sorry about that...

throat cancers can hit top shelves drinkers too...esp from those very high alcohol-burning drinks...

if you must wonder i dont whisky often at all,, maybe once a couple of months BUT I really do take whisky seriously like, its MUST be RIGHT, id never ever taste the cheap stuff again..but still Im cautious

My dad drank an expensive whisky or vodka and he would still gag on the crap while drinking it. It was enough to keep me from wanting to drink.

My dad drank an expensive whisky or vodka and he would still gag on the crap while drinking it. It was enough to keep me from wanting to drink.
My dad drank all expensive liquors; lots of mixed drinks. He bought cases of champagne. He very rarely even drank beer. It doesn't matter--booze is booze, and it all does the damage. A liver doesn't care how smooth it tastes going down.

wow.. getting worse at age fo 24?!?! dang.. my ex freind she have similar problem but she was doing meth and drinking too much so her liver is failing but she wud not admit that so we aren't no longer friends.. but yes I do smoke but I stick to weird food like grummer says.. ;) I eat japaense and chinese or korean food lol.. but I eat sushi sometimes but u wonder how the hell I do well at my age 35? simple.. cut down on smoking and drinking.. ;) and drink alot of fluid (water) and walk more often.. like I do cuz I don't drive at all lol :) I used to drink heavily from 2001 til 2005 but how the hell I quit drinking? lol simple my dear friend told me just quit cuz he hates smelling my breath when making out.. ugh lol ;)

My dad drank all expensive liquors; lots of mixed drinks. He bought cases of champagne. He very rarely even drank beer. It doesn't matter--booze is booze, and it all does the damage. A liver doesn't care how smooth it tastes going down.

Dad just poured his liquors into a shot class and drank it , but first he would cough and gag , it was not a pretty picture! And the final result was one very abusive drunk SOB! Dad never had any trouble with his liver.

Back