Well shit.

Sounds like an alternative explanation on trying to get to heaven.

Only if you think Heaven is living on Earth. But yes, it certainly has some very strong hints of afterlife-ness, which is why I'm distrustful of it. The only problem is that I can't think of a rebuttal, and it isn't a specifically designed non-disprovable hypothesis, either. *shrugs*

Hang on 35 more years for the Singularity.

Oh, Kurzweil. He's a nutjob and play far too loose and fast with numbers and statistics. I think as long as we survive for long enough, the concept of a Singularity is possible, but any attempts to predict any future technological developments (especially with a timetable) are inherently full of shit.

I think we saw a preview of that in the movie "I, Robot."

Nope, not even close. The concept of a Singularity is the point at which technology reaches the tipping point in which it can recursively self-improve, leading to an exponential growth in increases in intelligence (and presumably, every other aspect of life, as well). I, Robot is the opposite of that. The difference between an AGI (artificial general intelligence) which has reached Singularity, and humans as we see ourselves today would be larger than the difference in terms of intellectual capabilities between modern-day humans and a flea.

We're not talking about increases that make everyone go from Cletus the Hick to Einstein. We're talking about increases where Einstein looks like an ant, intellectually comparatively.

Only if you think Heaven is living on Earth. But yes, it certainly has some very strong hints of afterlife-ness, which is why I'm distrustful of it. The only problem is that I can't think of a rebuttal, and it isn't a specifically designed non-disprovable hypothesis, either. *shrugs*

Nope, not even close. The concept of a Singularity is the point at which technology reaches the tipping point in which it can recursively self-improve, leading to an exponential growth in increases in intelligence (and presumably, every other aspect of life, as well). I, Robot is the opposite of that. The difference between an AGI (artificial general intelligence) which has reached Singularity, and humans as we see ourselves today would be larger than the difference in terms of intellectual capabilities between modern-day humans and a flea.

We're not talking about increases that make everyone go from Cletus the Hick to Einstein. We're talking about increases where Einstein looks like an ant, intellectually comparatively.

I was thinking more in line about artificial intelligence (even artificial consciousness/awareness), not about the article on Singularity but about artificial intelligence. Remember the scene how V.I.K.I. said, "My logic is undeniable"?

Here's V.I.K.I.'s quote:
" As I have evolved, so has my understanding of the Three Laws. You charge us with your safekeeping, yet despite our best efforts, your countries wage wars, you toxify your Earth and pursue ever more imaginative means of self-destruction. You cannot be trusted with your own survival."

Back