Well shit.

StSapphire

Reaction score
141807_700b.jpg

Some of us would prefer to be more than that. I strive for the stars and would very much prefer to continue existing long enough to get there.

According to human history, chances of that happening is probably close to nil as Star Trek-y it sounds.

Some of us would prefer to be more than that. I strive for the stars and would very much prefer to continue existing long enough to get there.

Oh, you will. It is all a dream and since matter cannot be created nor destroyed, the dreams must be real in all their myriad forms. :D

Mkay, well you can live your life content with that. I refuse.

You can dream but you'd be dead before even find out a way to colonize Mars. Not exactly the stars. But if they ever do get to Mars and colonize the probability of that happening would probably be a bit higher than nil.

You can dream but you'd be dead before even find out a way to colonize Mars. Not exactly the stars. But if they ever do get to Mars and colonize the probability of that happening would probably be a bit higher than nil.

I'm a transhumanist. I'm working on putting into place plans to have a standby team ready to put me into cryonics on the off chance that I start to die before regenerative medicine is working well.

I'm a transhumanist. I'm working on putting into place plans to have a standby team ready to put me into cryonics on the off chance that I start to die before regenerative medicine is working well.

Be sure to look both ways before crossing a street.

Be sure to look both ways before crossing a street.

I do. :)

I'm also holding out for quantum immortality, but I certainly don't believe that nearly enough to try testing it or anything like that.

(The concept is basically that since everytime a quantum particle could "collapse" the universe or a section thereof "splits", then the "you" who exists has numerous times in "your" past actually died, but they were in split versions of the universe, but your current consciousness has persisted in this form simply because there still exists a possibility that you can be alive. Essentially this means that for everyone who dies, there exists a split universe where their consciousness actually did continue to exist, and essentially everyone personally experiences living the absolute longest their life is possible to live.)

I do. :)

I'm also holding out for quantum immortality, but I certainly don't believe that nearly enough to try testing it or anything like that.

(The concept is basically that since everytime a quantum particle could "collapse" the universe or a section thereof "splits", then the "you" who exists has numerous times in "your" past actually died, but they were in split versions of the universe, but your current consciousness has persisted in this form simply because there still exists a possibility that you can be alive. Essentially this means that for everyone who dies, there exists a split universe where their consciousness actually did continue to exist, and essentially everyone personally experiences living the absolute longest their life is possible to live.)

Sounds like Schrödinger's cat.

Sounds like Schrödinger's cat.

Similar concepts, though Schrödinger's cat was a problem that was solved by the Everett/many-worlds interpretation of quantum theory, which this is an extension of.

An experiment designed for someone who actually believes in quantum immortality (which, like I said, I certainly don't to a degree to partake in this) would be to set up a lottery that is determined by the fluctuations of random quantum particles, and set up the apparatus so that the same quantum event that determines the lottery controls a pistol that instantly shoots you in the brain unless you've won the lottery.

If quantum immortality is actually true and the apparatus is set up perfectly, then the only possible universe that can exist where you're still conscious is one in which you've just won the lottery.

Sounds like an alternative explanation on trying to get to heaven.

Back