Webcam Signing

why not get a videophone? (vp-200)

They wouldn't give to hearing people a vp unless if they have deaf family, then good reason. But have to prove that they can signs..to sorenson. Some of people pretend to be deaf and got VP..by good at signs.

:wave: I am learning ASL too, hoping to become an interpreter eventually :) I just passed ASL 2 at my college. I usually try to use the program Skype (it has voice/webcam) or MSN or yahoo messenger's video programs to sign with people from my class.

you might be a lot more advanced than me I don't know..but if you would like to chat sometime I wouldn't mind having another person to practice with! :) let me know and I can give you my messenger names..

:wave: I am learning ASL too, hoping to become an interpreter eventually :) I just passed ASL 2 at my college. I usually try to use the program Skype (it has voice/webcam) or MSN or yahoo messenger's video programs to sign with people from my class.

you might be a lot more advanced than me I don't know..but if you would like to chat sometime I wouldn't mind having another person to practice with! :) let me know and I can give you my messenger names..

I would deffinitely like to do that. Unfortunately I am still waiting to get a webcam. I hopefully will be getting one for Fathersday, if not on my birthday. Once I get that then I will be able to use those. I hear that Skype is the best for that.

I would deffinitely like to do that. Unfortunately I am still waiting to get a webcam. I hopefully will be getting one for Fathersday, if not on my birthday. Once I get that then I will be able to use those. I hear that Skype is the best for that.

Yeah Skype is definitely the best :) When you do get a webcam feel free to send me a PM or something and we can chat!

i am a religious interpreter and am always game for having a signing partner. message me if you're interested. terpprm@yahoo.com....you'll find me just about anywhere using that email! including skype and oovoo

Philip

Webcams are good substitutes if you don't have a VP (can't get one because my ISP isn't compatible with it) or don't know anyone to sign one on one with. My friend once told me that the only problem with it was the lag, but he does love using it to talk with his mom on AIM.

I've never used my webcam because there is no webcam support for AIM on linux... I heard Pidgin will soon have videochat though!

I just got a webcam. I would love to learn more ASL, you terp students want to help out when I get my cam up?

I am not sure if I would be the best at training anyone as I myself am also still learning ASL. The best thing would be for you to take classes. Most colleges should be offering them.

I have passed ASL level 3, there are no more classes here. Just need practice since the teacher went to work elsewhere, my deaf friend moved, my terp moved and now think I am only deaf in Angelo. I took ASL one, then became friends with the teacher, she helped with 2, then then the terp got me through 3. If there was anywhere closer than 60 miles you bet I would take more classes. I do try to keep up on lifeprint, but not the same as interaction, ya know.

I am having trouble now that I have my webcam up tho. There seem to be "trailers" when I move quickly or the image is blurry. Any ideas? Anyone?

I'd like to try doing video chat. I'm going to check out that oovoo thing and I just got a new camcorder that I can use as a webcam as well.

I've taught myself sign thru LifePrint.com and also using ASLpro.com, as well as watching hundreds of YouTube videos! LOL But, I really need that conversational practice. Memorizing the signs for songs is so much easier. It's hard to remember signs on the spot when I'm trying to converse with someone. LOL

Anyway, if anyone might like to try this with me, that would be great! Just send me a message or email me. :O) I'm not real fast at it, but I'm learning!

God Bless!
Lauren

Last edited:
I have passed ASL level 3, there are no more classes here. Just need practice since the teacher went to work elsewhere, my deaf friend moved, my terp moved and now think I am only deaf in Angelo. I took ASL one, then became friends with the teacher, she helped with 2, then then the terp got me through 3. If there was anywhere closer than 60 miles you bet I would take more classes. I do try to keep up on lifeprint, but not the same as interaction, ya know.

I am having trouble now that I have my webcam up tho. There seem to be "trailers" when I move quickly or the image is blurry. Any ideas? Anyone?
That based on what kind of webcam you have...

I think you need to adjust the settings on your webcam. I don't know a whole lot about it, but my son helped me with my old one by adjusting the exposure, or the gain, or the contrast or color. Just play with it and see if any of those make the trailers go away.

HTH!
Lauren

Jclarke told me I have a not too good camera. The salesclerk told me it was the best they had. Pbfflllt. Well, now I am stuck with it. I was going to sell it on ebay, but cant seem to get what I paid for it. I think It'll do, but next time I get money I am going to try to go to a better store and try to get a better cam. It is a LifeCam VX 3000. I did the focus thing, and tried to do the settings. AnnieBoo was patient with me while I set the thing up. Anyhow, I have an ooVoo account.

I am also looking for more folks to add to hovrs. I would like to have one of those new mvp's. wow.

So, if anyone would like to help me with my quickly rusting skills, please im me. If you can't then, just email me. I need practice and I sure miss having someone to sign with. The hearies at work - well - you can guess. I am just a bit lonely out here. Hubby likes his remote! Ha! In the meantime, I downloaded lots of Keith Wann (ooh if I was only (cough-cough) years younger - he's so cute) to my psp. It's good company. Don't get me wrong, I have lots of good friends, and I love them. They are all hearies except for you guys, and I really like it here.

Jclarke told me I have a not too good camera. The salesclerk told me it was the best they had. Pbfflllt. Well, now I am stuck with it. I was going to sell it on ebay, but cant seem to get what I paid for it. I think It'll do, but next time I get money I am going to try to go to a better store and try to get a better cam. It is a LifeCam VX 3000. I did the focus thing, and tried to do the settings. AnnieBoo was patient with me while I set the thing up. Anyhow, I have an ooVoo account.

I am also looking for more folks to add to hovrs. I would like to have one of those new mvp's. wow.

So, if anyone would like to help me with my quickly rusting skills, please im me. If you can't then, just email me. I need practice and I sure miss having someone to sign with. The hearies at work - well - you can guess. I am just a bit lonely out here. Hubby likes his remote! Ha! In the meantime, I downloaded lots of Keith Wann (ooh if I was only (cough-cough) years younger - he's so cute) to my psp. It's good company. Don't get me wrong, I have lots of good friends, and I love them. They are all hearies except for you guys, and I really like it here.
Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 is the highly recommendation.

. Hubby likes his remote! Ha! In the meantime, I downloaded lots of Keith Wann (ooh if I was only (cough-cough) years younger - he's so cute) to my psp.

If you were years younger, what would happen to your Hubby in this scenario? :hmm:

Hmm, good question Bots! haha! It could depend on his remote control! (nah, just joking - he's a good guy)

So, Bots, are you geared up for the the new Harry Potter movie?? I may go even if our local theater doesn't have captions. The effects would be worth it, I would bet ya.

Hmm, good question Bots! haha! It could depend on his remote control! (nah, just joking - he's a good guy)

So, Bots, are you geared up for the the new Harry Potter movie?? I may go even if our local theater doesn't have captions. The effects would be worth it, I would bet ya.

Are you kidding??/ I am living for the Harry Potter movie. My husband is taking vacation for the week!!!

Back