We need captioning and touch screens at your favorite fast food drive-thru.

Have u tried bringing 2 sleepy kids inside the restaurant in -5 degree weather? Why should I have to do that just because I am deaf? I still go thru the drive thru and order my food at the pick up window. Pisses a lot of people off but I aint getting out in -5 degree weather for a drink. :ugh3:

The touch screen would make things easier for everyone, the employees, the deaf customer and hearing customers cuz they dont have to wait longer while the deaf customer orders food thru the pick up window. I think it is a win-win situation.
I simply use paper n pen when I used drive-thru @ fast food... No biggie!

some chains do that already.

Swiss Chalet has an interesting system. You can order online for delivery to work or home. Also option of call-ahead takeout. See Swiss Chalet
The online ordering site is: https://www.swisschaletordering.com/
You can give any special instructions needed etc.

Papa John's Pizza chains already have that system with online ordering. I think Pizza Hut does that too. I dont know about others. But its a great idea to use the computers and pagers to contact those chains to deliever you food! Wooo!

Speaking of delievery, in Central America, you can even call a Burger King or Mickey D's to send someone on a motorcycle to bring you your whopper or a mac burger and fries! If they do that down there, why cant they do that up here!!?? CONTACT your favorite chain and have them start up the same way as Central American chains do!

Here's my thought...what if the first menu outside has a button to alert the clerk that you're deaf, then you drive to the window and use touch screen in front of clerk to order. That would prevent smart aleck kids from playing with touch menu screen and drive off.

That is a great idea! I like that and then drive up and give them what you want.

They should also provide deaf people copies of order forms. They also have faxes and you can order through that way. Not a bad idea! Same with online ordering as I just mentioned in last reply! :)

I simply use paper n pen when I used drive-thru @ fast food... No biggie!

Yea same here and most of the time, employees are cool about it but that one time, the employees were assholes about it. Oh boy..

Of just get off your lazy ass, walk into the resturant, and then place your order.

Yeah right when the cashiers in there are 95% likely to be illiterate illegal immigrants who cant read "I want whopper with cheese" on paper.

Richard

I think the touch-screen menu would be a GREAT idea for everyone, not just deafies. You pull up - type in what you want, it shows up on the computer screen on the inside, once you're done with your order it prints out a ticket that you hand to the cashier in the window that has your order number and total on it. You give the cashier the money, the cashier gives you the food and your off. But I don't forsee this happening in my area simply because there is not a large deaf population here.

I think there might be a couple of places in Little Rock that do have touch screens but I don't know for sure. I'm only saying that because they have the AR School for the Deaf there.

As for ATMs needing ASL - uhhhhh not quite....... I don;t need ASL videos to operate one. lol

I think the touch-screen menu would be a GREAT idea for everyone, not just deafies. You pull up - type in what you want, it shows up on the computer screen on the inside, once you're done with your order it prints out a ticket that you hand to the cashier in the window that has your order number and total on it. You give the cashier the money, the cashier gives you the food and your off. But I don't forsee this happening in my area simply because there is not a large deaf population here.

Yea! I think it would be an awesome idea! I hate to speak to the speaker box, I feel like an idiot, not knowing if they got my order or not, because sometimes their screen is out of service, not in working condition. It'll be so nice if we all just press in our order, so there's no mistakes being made. I am sure most customers would love this idea. ;)

There's a face to face drive thru about 45 mins away from me, which they no longer have a speaker box, just pull up the window and say your order. I like that! ;)

I just walk right in the restaurant, write down my order, show it to the cashier, pay up, get food, and go home. Simple as that.

I just walk right in the restaurant, write down my order, show it to the cashier, pay up, get food, and go home. Simple as that.
:werd:

I also just drive up to the window. They understand.

As for the touch screen, there's a risk of damage from people pressing on the screen too much as well as damage from over-use.

Wawa gas stations with deli counters already have touch screens for walk-in orders.

I really hate sonic though because all of their speakers suck and I hate it when someone with a diesel engine pulls up beside me when I am trying to hear and I have no idea if they got the order right or not. Half the time I feel like an idiot.

I think of all the places, Sonic should be the ones that have the touch screens.

As for abuse and over-use - they make some for industrial companies that get alot of use and they just have to wipe off the screens really well with the cloth at the start of a new shift. Or have some like walmart has with the stylus attached for using the screen. And perhaps make it to where the only way the touch screen turns on is if there is a significant amount of weight there (such as a vehicle) and you have to press the service button and the screen is turned on from the inside. I think that would cut down on pranksters because someone from the inside then has to confirm someone is there to place an order and just a bunch of 11 year old brats that think its funny to mess with the workers.

What fast food restaurant is that? I agree with that idea UpstNYdesigner! Do we contact the headquarters of the company and let them know what we want?

yea, I agree with u that we dont need ASL videos on the ATMs..geez!

Companies unfortunately don't listen...my friends have done things and the best they've had in results is a screen that shows what you ordered and thats it. :(

i know its hard for deaf people have problems communicate on screen on drive thru! that aint easy for you! but i cant do that!

my mom never have problems with drive thru but my mom can doit communicate what order fast food im sure i can doit going enter tell what i wanted order everythings!

my mom always going bank for getting cash but my mom never have problems with ATMS screens but my mom can get cash quick than nothing! but i always do get cash on ATMS sometimes not lots get cash.

mostly deaf people can get ATMS for cash its so easy for you than nothings but you can deposit drive thru its so hard communicate! but my mom can doit on drive thru at bank! but i cant do that hell no!

it's all a good idea.. but have you guys thought of something?

Most companies are looking at the money... if it doesn't profit them, they won't do it. You can go to corporate headquarters, call them, ect.. all you want.. but in the end.. if they don't see the benefit, they're not gonna change their system. remember that 90% of amercians are hearing.. and the companies focus on what they consider normal.. aka.. people who can hear.

LIke many have said, hearing don't think of themselves as hearing.. they think of themselves as normal. So they assume everyone is "normal" like them.. until they meet people who can't hear.

:werd:

What if it rains? I don't want to get my hands wet.

What if someone jumps out and chops my arms off? :Ohno:

Don't want your hands to get wet because of rain?

...That's odd. lol :wink:

I never use drive thru...I just walk in, but I know some people may have hard time because of horrible weather or have children to take care of.

With walk-in it's easier for me to spot mistakes they can make or whatever.

I never had a courage to go to window so.

Back