We have many advantages of being deaf

If you are the creative type (like me!), why not write character-driving fiction. I mean sounds like your visual understanding in inter-personal relationships will grant you precise insights in human moves. Your fictitious characters will read authentic to your readers.

Crazed Hearie (and struggling writer) is now officially jealous. Lend me your eyes BecLak...for the weekend, please. :cool2:

I am already a writer. :P

I acknowledge I have been bilateral deaf since December 20, 2006. A short period of time till I was implanted July 12, 2007. Don't recall much comment re being deaf. Apparently not others reaction.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

In the end it depends on how ones deals with the situation/condition-deafness- which is up to each person.

Last edited:
The advantage is to not have to hear when I am not feeling good, tired or just want to relax. I take out my hearing aids.

Does being deaf give one an excuse for any problem-the "hearies are "picking/oppressing" me"?
Is that an "audist crutch" apparently utilized by "deaf militants"?

Well, what else could it be then? Should hearing society be excuse for their audist behaviors and oppression against deaf people?

Am currently bringing a friend out of his shell.
He is very shy and quiet but since knowing me has come out a bit cause I tell him he HAS to look at me directly and speak louder.

May just be that Ive been a hearie, and went deaf...BUT IMHO the disadvantages greatly out-weigh the advantages. Sure there are times when being deaf rocks, but there are way more times that being deaf sucks

May just be that Ive been a hearie, and went deaf...BUT IMHO the disadvantages greatly out-weigh the advantages. Sure there are times when being deaf rocks, but there are way more times that being deaf sucks

We, I am one who was with a mild hearing loss that got progressively worse and am now total deaf. I am trying not to dwell on the disadvantages, but, yes, they are there. There are, IMO, many more advantages.

Then go to the other thread and list all of the disadvantages of being deaf. This thread is a very postive one about deafness so can we keep it that way, pls? Thank you.

If i want peace and quiet, I can just take off my CI. The hearing can't turn off sounds around them. :D

Being able to read lips from across the room.

Actually, I am. Gotta strain for good drama. :giggle:

Here's another advantage for parents. Being deaf/hoh, we don't always hear our teens loud music. Luckily, my kids don't do that anyway, but I was just thinking of how my brothers were when we were teens. Me with country blasting, Paul with jazz or R & B blasting and Pete with hard rock blasting. Mom would holler for us to turn it down and Dad would just remove his HA. :giggle:

Here's another advantage for parents. Being deaf/hoh, we don't always hear our teens loud music. Luckily, my kids don't do that anyway, but I was just thinking of how my brothers were when we were teens. Me with country blasting, Paul with jazz or R & B blasting and Pete with hard rock blasting. Mom would holler for us to turn it down and Dad would just remove his HA. :giggle:

Or the police would come by and warn the parents to stop with the loud music and stop disturbing the neighbors...or the neighborhood for that matter. I could imagine the parents' embarrassment.

--Not able to hear kids screaming. (Altho that would make me walk back and forth to check on the kids)

--Can communicate in sign language thru windows or at a distance that we can see fine.

--Able to feel vibrations more than hearing people do.

--Sleep thru thunderstorms or near a noisy street.

Or the police would come by and warn the parents to stop with the loud music and stop disturbing the neighbors...or the neighborhood for that matter. I could imagine the parents' embarrassment.

At the timer, we lived in a mobile home park in the middle of an orange grove. Most of the neighbors also had teens doing the same thing. The police did not do "drive thrus" as it was in a time before all that stuff. There were no noise ordinances back then.

"Wife- swapping easier than for the hearing"-assuming one is: A married and wants to swap spouses? Not sure the legality of the "transfer"?

Implanted A B Harmony activated Au7g/07

Last edited:
Back