We have a surgery date !!!!

Hmmm I'm going to talk to my audie about whether my CI can be paired exclusively with the particular implant. I've put the wrong CI on twice now and boy, oh boy! It doesn't matter if I put the first speech processor on the new implant, just sounds a bit quiet but if I put the second speech processor on the first implant ouch! It literally feels like a hot potatoe and I have to tear it off! It's amazing how two ears can be so different. Usually, I am good about checking the LED screen to ensure I have the right processor for the right ear (there is an indicator showing which ear it's for) but those two times I put on my CIs in a hurry.

I have heard that Advanced Bionics have a way of pairing the external processor to the internal processor of the implant. This will also prevent kids in school from switching their processors with some of their classmates that also have CI's. I am sure that the other manufactures are also looking ways of pairing or keying the eternal processor with the implant.

I have heard that Advanced Bionics have a way of pairing the external processor to the internal processor of the implant. This will also prevent kids in school from switching their processors with some of their classmates that also have CI's. I am sure that the other manufactures are also looking ways of pairing or keying the eternal processor with the implant.

That is correct John.

AB processor does not work unless it is paired with the right ear. I put them in the wrong ear all the time. The magnet will stick just not turn on. That lets you know to change the ear.

That is correct John.

AB processor does not work unless it is paired with the right ear. I put them in the wrong ear all the time. The magnet will stick just not turn on. That lets you know to change the ear.

I'm going to make some enquiries. If both AB and Med-El do this then perhaps it is possible with Cochlear but my audie doesn't know about it.

I'm going to make some enquiries. If both AB and Med-El do this then perhaps it is possible with Cochlear but my audie doesn't know about it.

I heard back from my audie. She is going to get a rep from Cochlear at my next mapping to see if we can do it. Apparently, we are also getting new speech strategy software upgraded to our Freedoms and it comes with a fix to stop the processor on the wrong ear from working and it will come up with an error message on the LED screen. So I'm pretty pleased about that.

PS, sorry for hijacking your thread Ashleysmom!

Oh your OK. It is related so no problem. Good info never hurts. Hope they get it figured out for you too. I can't wait for Ashley's upgrade. We get 2 new processors.

Sorry for my intrusion, but what does "being found a candidate" means ?

Thanks in advance for your replies

Sorry for my intrusion, but what does "being found a candidate" means ?

Thanks in advance for your replies

It means that you are officially a suitable candidate to have a CI. It's usually determined after a battery of tests e.g. speech tests, MRI, balance etc. Not everyone can have a CI for example their ear structure is not normal, they benefit too much from conventional HAs or if they are likely to have severe balance problems etc.

Oh your OK. It is related so no problem. Good info never hurts. Hope they get it figured out for you too. I can't wait for Ashley's upgrade. We get 2 new processors.

Not long now til her activation!!

Thanks R2D2 :)
Another question : officially means from the audiologist, from the insurance or from the state ?

Thanks R2D2 :)
Another question : officially means from the audiologist, from the insurance or from the state ?

Usually from the audiologist but then they would check eligibility from the insurance company and state/or early on in the process.

Activation went great. Ashley did so well. We are so proud of her. She gave some very good responses. So far she leaves the new coil on too. Thanks for the encouragement.

Hurray! Glad she is off to a good start with the new ear!

She is sooooo picky. I have been giving her all kinds of foods. Lot of fruits for the water. She is staying hydrated so far. Surgery went great. She was just sick afterward. I think that is what turned her off to her bottle. She was under for 4 hours. She didn't get her reflux meds the morning of or evening after surgery. Meds upset her tummy too. She is fine now all but the drinking thing. It too will pass I am sure.

As I know if you give her cooked white rice to keep her hydrated... even I was told do that when my dog wasn't feeling so good and or drink water for some reason after a surgery.. one of my grandma's tales... it sure works..

I'm glad to hear all is working out well with Ashley!!! she's sure beat all odds.. :)

Ashley is doing better with her eating. She still does not want to drink. I get enough fluids in with fruits and veggies. We see her gastro doc this week. I hope she has gained and he will not push the feeding tube. She is still doing well with her new implant. We go next week for turn up. Can't wait. She is moving through the first 3 very quickly.

Ashley is doing better with her eating. She still does not want to drink. I get enough fluids in with fruits and veggies. We see her gastro doc this week. I hope she has gained and he will not push the feeding tube. She is still doing well with her new implant. We go next week for turn up. Can't wait. She is moving through the first 3 very quickly.

Good to know that she is doing better with her eating. As long a she is staying hydrated with the fruits and veggies, there should be no reason to push the feeding tube. Hopw your visit with the doc goes well. Let us know.

Good to know that she is doing better with her eating. As long a she is staying hydrated with the fruits and veggies, there should be no reason to push the feeding tube. Hopw your visit with the doc goes well. Let us know.

Yeah, let us know how things go, Ashely'smom. We're all ears. ;)

Back