We. Have. A. Big. ****ing. Problem. Here.

I definatly not working on all brain cells bc I agree with reba think I understand ff but I still not quite there yet......put it down to being late for me,not understanding anything anyone today

When I was interpreting, I was often offered positions to teach and/or tutor ASL, and I always turned them down. I would give them the names of Deaf individuals or groups that could provide them with teachers or classes. I'm sure I'm not the only one who did that.

At the ITP I attended, all my ASL and interpreting courses were taught by college instructors, so they were all paid the same, regardless of Deaf or hearing. I certainly didn't earn 10X what any of the instructors earned, not to mention having to pay all my expenses, insurance, employer and employee taxes, and having no disability or unemployment coverage.

Let's face it. If we're going to have a large enough pool of qualified interpreters available, there has to be some financial incentive. Even interpreters have to earn a living.

Any native user of any language who has equal skill in instruction is always preferable for teaching that language, yes.

good! , i know you do, I am well aware of you being 'one of the better ones' um no thats too mean to say, better to say, you're a real proper interpreter with real ideas and not arrogant and respectful. It just earlier on in NZ NZSL history (1990s and abit after 2000s)....terps are good, now they are getting snotty , younger, and more arrogant, bent on 'professionalism' in their BUllshit terms, its like they really DON'T have a real clue what that word really means......also I suspect the marketing think-tank/ and hype followed by, absorbed by the way organisation are/were formed in the so-called ideation of 'efficiency', excellence',solving funding 'problems by telling everyone they no n profit, all for rights , IT'S ALL BULLSHIT OFC they're in for the fukn money !! and all

it's sad

It makes me question why would a hearing person who has no Deaf family members or any connection to the Deaf community would want to be a Deaf ed teacher, ASL teacher or etc. They can easily find jobs anywhere but why take the jobs that Deaf people need?

Just a guess, but I don't think those hearing people who took ASL classes from a Deaf teacher ever got that memo. In fact, I'm pretty sure that memo wasn't sent out. I certainly didn't get it in my class.

Perhaps we should require Deaf ASL teachers to tell their hearing students that they can use ASL almost anywhere, except a classroom. I think this would certainly solve the problem these poor employers being inundated by these frivolous job requisitions. The nerve.

S. Hansen posted a response to the original video, describing her own experiences:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRditEI5IGQ&list=UU1jEbuHsxytc9ZFvv3lFx2w

Yes that's very common. some Deaf people work HARD to convince the hearing administration to hire them in some states. Also the salary issues and go on. My Deaf friend is surprised that she is hired by a well known university because she has no m.a degree yet is an very expericed ASL teaching. She wonders why they can't find hearing ASL teachers. That's another political issue. There are many issues with some universes either they dont recognizes ASL as a language in their language dept. I don't blame them why lots of deaf people work hard for this ASL to be recognaztion.

I want to be sure I'm understanding this scenario.

When John said, "I am not hiring at this time," did he mean he wasn't hiring any teachers at all, or that he just wasn't hiring hearing teachers?

If John had teaching vacancies and no Deaf teachers had applied, and he couldn't find any after making an active search, what would he do? Would he leave the positions vacant rather than hire a hearing teacher?

Ok, I am sorry I was not being clear. John does not want to hire hearing persons who want to apply for ASL teaching positions because he felt that hearing people in general "take over" the positions and he prefers to hire Deaf native signers due to their Deaf experiences, ASL skills, etc.

also Deaf people works too hard to be recognised as a proper fully capable member of any authority, more to the point to advocate that it should be lead by Deaf is seldom adhered to. then again when we get a 'president', CEO, or team leader it is almost ALWAYS (ok pardon imperfect English there i can't quite find the right word(s) for it) at that these 'elected' are 'token' by that, they are considered as "borrowed representative" nothing more and nothing less, its just SHIT!!...
so typical..
and Id say we're still a LONG way/....Oh 'success' in the deaf in administrative aspects of the deaf community or in the hearing world are still (well I think so) are considered that those fall in the roles often confuse compromised contribution with social progress....while it's shouldn't be hardly surprising for we ARE in a society that values individuals' success over group activity for recognition....hmmm...

Yes that's very common. some Deaf people work HARD to convince the hearing administration to hire them in some states. Also the salary issues and go on. My Deaf friend is surprised that she is hired by a well known university because she has no m.a degree yet is an very expericed ASL teaching. She wonders why they can't find hearing ASL teachers. That's another political issue. There are many issues with some universes either they dont recognizes ASL as a language in their language dept. I don't blame them why lots of deaf people work hard for this ASL to be recognaztion.

my most recent reply also relates to Frisky's observation from the quoted above...

Ok, I am sorry I was not being clear. John does not want to hire hearing persons who want to apply for ASL teaching positions because he felt that hearing people in general "take over" the positions and he prefers to hire Deaf native signers due to their Deaf experiences, ASL skills, etc.

OP, I'm curious. What if a deaf(not Deaf) person applied for the position? Suppose the person was born deaf, but was not part of the Deaf community, would that person be accepted for the position?

What about American people taking jobs teaching a foreign language isn't that taking jobs way for other people that need a job?

Hearing people can learn any language and not have any communication barriers. With deaf people there will always be that barrier regarding to access to communication. Big difference!!!

Hearing people can learn any language and not have any communication barriers. With deaf people there will always be that barrier regarding to access to communication. Big difference!!!

I disagree. The only barrier is how you learn. I have a Deaf friend who speaks Engish, Spanish and signs ASL. She's true Deaf, she rejects hearing technology. I doubt there is any language she can't learn.

Just a guess, but I don't think those hearing people who took ASL classes from a Deaf teacher ever got that memo. In fact, I'm pretty sure that memo wasn't sent out. I certainly didn't get it in my class.

I did. In fact, not only did our (Deaf) ASL teachers make that clear, but also not to accept job offers to interpret for BOCES positions. They were emphatic that our local BOCES typically hired "anybody with a pulse who knew ASL" but it was also a good way to get a bad name in the Deaf community.

It makes me question why would a hearing person who has no Deaf family members or any connection to the Deaf community would want to be a Deaf ed teacher, ASL teacher or etc. They can easily find jobs anywhere but why take the jobs that Deaf people need?

It's like saying why would a person want to work with cancer patients if they have no one they know personally with cancer. It's a profession just like any other.

I was active duty army trained to work with weapons. That's what I spent years doing and training others in. But unfortunately on other bases and post there are civilian contractors who went through minimal training at most and don't have the experience at the active duty members but our jobs where given to them cause they were more "feasible" we were told. I think every job is based off of some sort of economical game. Why pay the person who is more qualified when we can get this person for cheaper. Businesses do it all the time that's why they don't hire people that are over qualified.

I did. In fact, not only did our (Deaf) ASL teachers make that clear, but also not to accept job offers to interpret for BOCES positions. They were emphatic that our local BOCES typically hired "anybody with a pulse who knew ASL" but it was also a good way to get a bad name in the Deaf community.

As I understand it, BOCES are required to provide services by law:

"Under New York State Education Law, a BOCES must furnish any educational service that is requested by two or more component districts and approved by the commissioner of education according to need and practicality in a regional context."

That's surprising. teachers teaching people and telling them not to accept work.

I see nothing wrong hearing people teacher ASL that would be discrimination
to me not hiring a person for a job b/c they can hear. That is like saying you need to be old to work with old people. :roll:

As I understand it, BOCES are required to provide services by law:

"Under New York State Education Law, a BOCES must furnish any educational service that is requested by two or more component districts and approved by the commissioner of education according to need and practicality in a regional context."

That's surprising. teachers teaching people and telling them not to accept work.

Why is that surprising? The Deaf ASL teachers were telling people not to accept work for which they were NOT qualified for.

What is MORE surprising is that BOCES is hiring people to positions for which they are NOT qualified for. If they were following the law they'd be hiring RID or NAD certified people who are qualified to interpret in educational settings. Instead they are hiring people who have taken minimal ASL courses with no Interpreter training. At least 50-75% of the "interpreters" I encounter at work have neither of those certifications and their lack of training and professionalism shows.

I had really LOUSY hearing teachers all my life. I had one Deaf teacher that I did very well in high school. Then I finally got HOH, and Deaf teachers at gallaudet that I felt more comfortable with.

Why is that surprising? The Deaf ASL teachers were telling people not to accept work for which they were NOT qualified for.

What is MORE surprising is that BOCES is hiring people to positions for which they are NOT qualified for. If they were following the law they'd be hiring RID or NAD certified people who are qualified to interpret in educational settings. Instead they are hiring people who have taken minimal ASL courses with no Interpreter training. At least 50-75% of the "interpreters" I encounter at work have neither of those certifications and their lack of training and professionalism shows.

That is incorrect. Unless the law requires those certifications, BOCES is following the law. If that needs to be changed, it needs to be changed at the statue level, not in the classroom. Under the law, they need to provide service and to do that they need warm bodies.

This is not the fault of hearing people. Nor do they lack the capacity to teach the same as Deaf people.

Obviously, there is not enough of the Deaf people to fill the need.

In my local, Boces did hire an interpreter with no RID or any kind of certificate. eh..

Back