We. Have. A. Big. ****ing. Problem. Here.

I had Deaf teachers in a couple of my RIT classes. I loved it, I did sooo much better than with my Hearing teachers. Taking the interpreter out of the mix was effective. Get to pay attention just to the Deaf teacher.

Of course, to be fair, some of my success was based on what kind of class! Art, math, history, etc.

Hearing people can learn any language and not have any communication barriers. With deaf people there will always be that barrier regarding to access to communication. Big difference!!!

You're making it sound like deaf people are not capable of getting any other jobs skills.

Ok, I am sorry I was not being clear. John does not want to hire hearing persons who want to apply for ASL teaching positions because he felt that hearing people in general "take over" the positions and he prefers to hire Deaf native signers due to their Deaf experiences, ASL skills, etc.

I got it at last...he maybeen more tactfull if he said that from start..i know of similar situation,the collaged hired deaf signing teacher the man had strong deaf accent no voice control,he got fired because of that and female non deaf woman took job I was disgusted

You're making it sound like deaf people are not capable of getting any other jobs skills.

well, no, Shel90 doesn't actually believe that, but I'd side with Shel on this one, as I share and know her opinions on deaf issues, that is, Shel is basically saying she is afraid (so am I) of that how hearing people are the ones who proclaims the idea of "deaf people are not capable of getting any other jobs skills" in a way that reciprocates with the idea of norms and that idea fits in the audist version of a "perfect hearing world".
as you see, they think you have to hear to function, they can't see it any other way, said differently, hollywood films continues depicts black stars to take roles of good cop to reinforce the whites' society' ideas of justice and values of what is good and what is bad, it is very subtle its front of your eyes but in a way that you just don't question it simply because films don't show other reality, it operates in a way so people watches films will think society is exactly the same as the film , borrowing from the computer world "WYSIWYG" concept , straight in - so the viewer's interpretation becomes fixated in a single channel with a single road of films' signals to the eye and to the brain, as "WYSIWYG" = What You See Is What You Get version of reality.
hope this makes sense to you...
:cool2:

It makes me question why would a hearing person who has no Deaf family members or any connection to the Deaf community would want to be a Deaf ed teacher, ASL teacher or etc. They can easily find jobs anywhere but why take the jobs that Deaf people need?

I remember when I got my M.Ed. in Teaching English as a Second Language (TESOL). I couldn't find teaching jobs to save my life...Bilingual educators took those jobs. Bilingual education is taught, in theory, by teaching courses such as a math, history, etc., using English part of the time and the students native language for part of time to ease them into English. Unfortunately, many Bilingual teachers hired out of the country weren't exactly "bilingual." They only spoke Spanish and were barely understood in English. Not surprisingly, students graduated never having learned English.

For TESOL, students are taught the target language by immersion in the language....English only. Yet, Bilingual educators regularly took the TESOL jobs and bilingual education jobs leaving nothing for TESOL educators. Hence, my return to federal service as I couldn't find work anywhere. It struck me odd that English teaching jobs were given to people who couldn't speak the language, or barely spoke it.

With regard to the question above, why would a person with no history to France, no connection to the French community, want to teach French... and why do we allow it? Probably for the same reason people are drawn to ASL. They're interested in the language and find it fascinating. I can understand being angry if they're taking ASL jobs away from people fluent in the language while they themselves are not. But - if a person is fluent in the language, any language - why do they need anyone's permission or approval to teach?

Laura

I remember when I got my M.Ed. in Teaching English as a Second Language (TESOL). I couldn't find teaching jobs to save my life...Bilingual educators took those jobs. Bilingual education is taught, in theory, by teaching courses such as a math, history, etc., using English part of the time and the students native language for part of time to ease them into English. Unfortunately, many Bilingual teachers hired out of the country weren't exactly "bilingual." They only spoke Spanish and were barely understood in English. Not surprisingly, students graduated never having learned English.

For TESOL, students are taught the target language by immersion in the language....English only. Yet, Bilingual educators regularly took the TESOL jobs and bilingual education jobs leaving nothing for TESOL educators. Hence, my return to federal service as I couldn't find work anywhere. It struck me odd that English teaching jobs were given to people who couldn't speak the language, or barely spoke it.

With regard to the question above, why would a person with no history to France, no connection to the French community, want to teach French... and why do we allow it? Probably for the same reason people are drawn to ASL. They're interested in the language and find it fascinating. I can understand being angry if they're taking ASL jobs away from people fluent in the language while they themselves are not. But - if a person is fluent in the language, any language - why do they need anyone's permission or approval to teach?

Laura
No no.....it is about hearing people not getting being discriminated against in the job market while deaf people are constantly being discriminated enabling qualified deaf people not getting hired. That's my point. Deaf people aren't being discriminated for jobs working with deaf people.

No no.....it is about hearing people not getting being discriminated against in the job market while deaf people are constantly being discriminated enabling qualified deaf people not getting hired. That's my point. Deaf people aren't being discriminated for jobs working with deaf people.

Discrimination isn't specific to any one group. My former coworker at the DOD was Chinese, a Vietnam war veteran, he had a B.A. in Accounting, experience in the private sector and he was denied a raise for fifteen years and paid considerably less than what he got on unemployment. His hearing was fine, it didn't prevent him getting dumped on. There's plenty of deaf people that discriminate against other deaf, just as there's nothing to stop it in the hearing world. Working for someone from a similar background doesn't protect you from it.

Ever heard of discrimination?

Yes and can it work both ways. A hearing person can say they discriminated from getting a job b/c they can hear. I think it had been smarter for the place to had NOT picked up the phone and told the person they only are hiring deaf people. That was a very stupid question to ask. Years ago young Italian man went up to my dad and asked him for a job , the young said no would hire b/c he is Italian. My dad gave him a job on the spot . Years later the guy ran into my mother and sister and told them if it had not been for our dad he would
not been able to get ahead . I heard about discrimination long before you were born.

Back