VP/Skype?

Kiranadia

Reaction score
Okay I know that I don't know how to get a VP or if I could get one how expensive they are (I am hearing by the way)

So, if anyone is willing to.... I have my Skype information on here, all someone would need is a webcam and we could sign to each other!!! YAY :applause:

I really hope I don't sound like another typical hearing person... I really want to be involved in the Deaf community but my grandma who is deaf is a part of it because she was forced to be Oral and can't interact with anyone.... please help me to learn.... please?

Depends on the VP you want to get. An older model of Sorenson VP still exists. It is DVC-1000, i2eye. It is retired, I guess because of the price on it. you can call people on that. (buy it from ebay?)

My best option for you is to get a webcam and call people's IP.
I'm sure you have a webcam.

I do have a webcam but how would I call someone's IP? (I'm assuming you mean IP address...)

Vista is Microsoft's worst product in my opinion (Sorry to anyone who likes Vista), i do have XP and I will check out that program, thanks a bunch!

Viable also has a free download that turns a webcam into VP, believe it is called viable vision. :)

How about something like this, It's way better than skype.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqQoHk_yWfM]YouTube - ACN video phone - The future starts here[/ame]

no CC but you get the idea

Last edited:
I use skype for speaking conversation but don't really like the fluidity of the webcam. I use Viable Vision for signed conversation and like it much better. JClarke on here also suggested to me getting the Logitech Webcam Pro 9000 if you don't have a good cam. I REALLY like this cam a lot, very nice. I even use it for my ASL class for my assignments. You can get the cam cheaper through Amazon or Ebay for sure. Hope this helps.

Btw... with VV, if you wanted to call a VP you can but they can't call you since it's not a VP #. Just a heads up. Or they can get VV as well.

Viable... blah...... Supporting a company that screwed over the deaf community in a way isn't my idea.

I use skype for speaking conversation but don't really like the fluidity of the webcam. I use Viable Vision for signed conversation and like it much better. JClarke on here also suggested to me getting the Logitech Webcam Pro 9000 if you don't have a good cam. I REALLY like this cam a lot, very nice. I even use it for my ASL class for my assignments. You can get the cam cheaper through Amazon or Ebay for sure. Hope this helps.

Btw... with VV, if you wanted to call a VP you can but they can't call you since it's not a VP #. Just a heads up. Or they can get VV as well.
That's correct - Logitech Quick Cam Pro 9000 is highly recommended.

If you dont like Viable Vision - get P3 instead.

Okay I'll look these all up but what the heck is P3? and thanks everyone! it helps a lot I hate the speed of the webcam quality on skype which is why I was asking

Ok, I may be really, really wrong, (again?) but I think hearing people cant do that. I think this was discussed in another thread. Another nice hearing lady was attempting to do the same to sign with deaf friends (without the terp, p2p). If I am not mistaken I think it was Chevy57 who pointed out that this was a no-no?
This could be a very different situation. If it is, I would go for P3 download. My fave!

Ok, I may be really, really wrong, (again?) but I think hearing people cant do that. I think this was discussed in another thread. Another nice hearing lady was attempting to do the same to sign with deaf friends (without the terp, p2p). If I am not mistaken I think it was Chevy57 who pointed out that this was a no-no?
This could be a very different situation. If it is, I would go for P3 download. My fave!

VP can call P3 they are both deaf phones. Nothing was mentioned in that question about hearing people.

Of course if they were implying it, you can blame my devilish sense of humor. :lol:

I admit to a small amount of bias towards the hearing ASL students who want to get taught ASL free by us. I only talk to my family.

Botts, you know I adore your wonderful humor.

I was thinking of Sima's thread I think.

Btw, cute pup in your pic!

Check with Sima1289, in her thread of this same topic, she seems to be getting some very good advice from our local AD professionals.

Botts, you know I adore your wonderful humor.

I was thinking of Sima's thread I think.

Btw, cute pup in your pic!

Thanks. Sima already had her own friends and was just looking for solution, which we sadly did not provide.

Thanks about Joey, he is gaining strength and happiness everyday.

I am hearing and I am a student... I don't plan on having anyone teach me, I am doing everything I can to be able to learn on my own and in class. I never planned to ask anyone to teach me but just to be able to get to know someone in my area because I have no idea really how to find out about deaf events around here.... very few are in or near my area.... I'm just trying to make friends, that's all....

I really don't want to offend anyone... and the P3 download didn't say anything about a requirement to be deaf or HOH....

Back