vp for hearing people?

so does that mean that the widget won't work for me? even though i made an account on the hovrs site and registered a number?

Do you have knowledge of ASL? If you aren't submitted to be hearing impaired customer on Purple application profile, Purple can't able to give this number. If you got this number, they will contact you to require to use ASL knowledge.

the issue here is having a software on pc to be able to call ip based videophones. Now, pretty much all VP's uses a proiratary software to be able to work with real phone numbers ( or in past fake proxy numbers). the only workaround at this time is find a freind with a copy of envision sl or use netmeeting on a pc. To make a call, currently class A or B ip addresses still works. Keep in mind, these software will only call 1720 VP's. for example, sorenson vp100/200 or MVP on default 1720 setting.

Now for those who say netmeeting is not on vista or doesnt work, - IT DOES WORK. with a little work and knowledge, it can be done and has been done. I have a copy of netmeeting that is setup for vista in a msi file instead of standard install. If you have a old copy of winnt or can extract the cab files from win XP or older, you can find a copy called NM.exe . be sure you SAVE a copy on your vista pc BEFORE you install. THEN right click on that NM file you saved and go to properties. go to compatibility tab and check run as winxp or win nt4. click save and then NOW you can run setup to install netmeeting.

If you have a copy of envision somewhere and want to use on vista, no problem. install netmeeting with steps above FIRST!!!!! After you are done, put a copy of envision sl before you install it on vista and do the same thing and change the compatiblity tab to whatever settings you used with netmeeting. if you used winxp for netmeeting then use winxp for envision sl. Then save and run setup for envision sl. You need to have netmeeting installed for envision sl to work on vista. sorenson had this bright idea long ago to use netmeeting shell for envision sl and built upon on that.

Sorry about long winded post, but wanted to make sure that hearies KNOW that there is SOMETHING out that works. Its better then nothing, although it not easy.

Now HEARIES - hear this--- when you want to make a call to your deaf freinds- before you ask for thier IP address. It never starts with 192.168.x.x!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you think you have a legimate IP address and make the call and get a blackscreen - relax. its proabably a firewall issue on YOUR end. TO solve black screens is a whole another issue but can be solved but needs some patience and virtue.:aw:

Do you have knowledge of ASL? If you aren't submitted to be hearing impaired customer on Purple application profile, Purple can't able to give this number. If you got this number, they will contact you to require to use ASL knowledge.
i sign. not fluently, but i can carry on a conversation fairly well

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GdMx3vAiC8&feature=related"]YouTube - Skype and Ojo videophone demo & review[/ame]

This looks interesting. It seems that two hearies are doing a demo on skype and ojo video phones. I dont think it is helpful to you but of interest. I am sorry that there are no captions. I could not make out all that they said, just a few words. It does show a nice vid of the two methods shown side by side. First they show the skype which is camera and pc setup, then the ojo video phone. Both fellows seem to be hearing, I think since I see no form of manual communication. Just some gestures that are repeated in each screen.

YouTube - Skype and Ojo videophone demo & review

This looks interesting. It seems that two hearies are doing a demo on skype and ojo video phones. I dont think it is helpful to you but of interest. I am sorry that there are no captions. I could not make out all that they said, just a few words. It does show a nice vid of the two methods shown side by side. First they show the skype which is camera and pc setup, then the ojo video phone. Both fellows seem to be hearing, I think since I see no form of manual communication. Just some gestures that are repeated in each screen.

i totally forgot about skype! can it connect to videophones?

Not a clue. Still, if you just normal call to a deaf person, you see that the interpretor is very nice. They will talk to you, sign to your friend. You still get to talk to your friend. I know you want to practice asl with them though, so I hope you find some way to do this soon.

hmm...i got through to my deaf friend on skype, but a. my video wouldn't work and b. it used an interpreter...

The video dealio is fixable, just an adjustment.

She wants to sign directly (person to person) with a deaf friend. (No terp)She cant legally use relay face to face cause she isnt deaf or hoh. We were thinking Skype, ooVoo, or something. Of course, duh, she uses Skype to call deaf friends relay number - tada - terp!

You have any ideas, Ms. Amazing Bottesini?

I wish scammers had never gotten hold of the relay services. It would be so nice if it were easier to get hearie friends and family on relay or related services.

The video dealio is fixable, just an adjustment.

She wants to sign directly (person to person) with a deaf friend. (No terp)She cant legally use relay face to face cause she isnt deaf or hoh. We were thinking Skype, ooVoo, or something. Of course, duh, she uses Skype to call deaf friends relay number - tada - terp!

You have any ideas, Ms. Amazing Bottesini?

I wish scammers had never gotten hold of the relay services. It would be so nice if it were easier to get hearie friends and family on relay or related services.

Of course Skype to Skype. There is nothing to keep her deaf friend from using Skype. I know it works, as I use it with my family. (No one else, any student who sees this. ;) )

*snip*I wish scammers had never gotten hold of the relay services. It would be so nice if it were easier to get hearie friends and family on relay or related services.

VRS was not designed for deaf people to call point to point. That is mearly a result of video phones being able call point to point.

The FCC does not and will not reimburse minutes if a hearing person is using the service.

The whole point of VRS is to the you can use a terp to call your hearing friends and family.

Good point indeed, Excedio, but do you have any other options or suggestions such as Bots had?

If her deaf friends only have vrs numbers or vp?

It is nice to see the terp, most I have dealt with personally are really great. But... I do miss seeing the face of my hearie friends and family. Lucky for me, some of my hearing friends and family also have msn, ims, etc. Those who do not, awww, I can see my deaf friends p2p, not all family or friends. Sad, eh? This could be how this young lady feels about wishing to "speak" directly to her friends. (Sign - yes I know)

Maybe some nice inventor could some day put an optional window in our vp/vrs fields that would let you see your friends and family as well as terp? Maybe too distracting for some, but nice choice for others - who knows? Puzzling. Maybe an interface of some sort that would enable such? Leaving this to more technical minds!

Of course, p2p is only achieved with registered 10 digit numbers, (I think) so perhaps her deaf friend can get skype or some other "hearing relay service" :P if they can afford a computer?

Of course Skype to Skype. There is nothing to keep her deaf friend from using Skype. I know it works, as I use it with my family. (No one else, any student who sees this. ;) )

there's nothing wrong with skype...i've used it with another deaf friend countless times. but this other deaf friend only has a vp...he isn't able to afford a computer with a webcam, or a webcam that plugs into the computer. :-/

there's nothing wrong with skype...i've used it with another deaf friend countless times. but this other deaf friend only has a vp...he isn't able to afford a computer with a webcam, or a webcam that plugs into the computer. :-/

Ah, that makes it more difficult. Sorry.

it's ok. i'll try the ip thing (putting in the ip address instead of a vp number)..see what happens :)

right you can call landline numbers from skype(there is a cost invovled).
dont know if it works with video phones (should do or skype needs their butts kicked)

Back