Vp-200 + wrt54g2?

ExoriaX

Reaction score
First of all, I am HUGE fan of Linksys and don't try tell me to buy D-Link or anything like that.

I bought Linksys WRT54G2 a wireless router.

I have upgraded it from 1.0 to 1.0.0.1 firmware from Linksys.com.

It works, indeed.

Only the problem is every first call will cause black screen then next call will work just fine for few mins then my FPS goes down to 15 even tho the kbps steady.

Anyone know the problem?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Exor

take it back for refund because that one is not compatiable with vp200 as i had one before you can ask sorenson tech and they will tells you that model is not compatiable ,so.... in mean time try trendnet router ,did you know sorenson router is really same as dlink di604! i liked dlink for reliablity and compatiablity

same me problem, before, I have Linksys WRT54GSV4, but donwload DD-WRT Firmware into Linksys WRT54(any model), Great work VP-200 100% without add SR-200, I love DD-WRT more function than Linksys's program

see http://www.dd-wrt.com

RHR, you are right. can install DD-WRT firmware on the linksys router then enable wireless bridge mode which work fine for VP.

Yeah, here's your problem.

First of all, I am HUGE fan of Linksys and don't try tell me to buy D-Link or anything like that.

Well, fine, don't come crying to us when you learn that Linksys has had HUGE compatibility issues with Sorenson devices. This goes all the way back to the VP-100. It's just the way that Linksys designs their routers to be in conflict with how Sorenson designs their VPs.

So, either get a BETTER router (D-Link and even Netgear are way better than Linksys, which is terrible all-around) or, fortunately for you, perhaps you can wrangle a free SR-200 (basically a rebranded D-Link DI-604) from your VP installer.

same me problem, before, I have Linksys WRT54GSV4, but donwload DD-WRT Firmware into Linksys WRT54(any model), Great work VP-200 100% without add SR-200, I love DD-WRT more function than Linksys's program

see http://www.dd-wrt.com

I tried but doesn't seem to be working, I might have done something wrong or probably picked a wrong file to upgrade?

Wonders if you could explain a little more clearly about how to get this to work?

Thanks,
Exor

EDIT: I think probably it is because the DD-WRT require a router that is in default version to upgrade using DD-WRT's file?

Yeah, here's your problem.

Well, fine, don't come crying to us when you learn that Linksys has had HUGE compatibility issues with Sorenson devices. This goes all the way back to the VP-100. It's just the way that Linksys designs their routers to be in conflict with how Sorenson designs their VPs.

So, either get a BETTER router (D-Link and even Netgear are way better than Linksys, which is terrible all-around) or, fortunately for you, perhaps you can wrangle a free SR-200 (basically a rebranded D-Link DI-604) from your VP installer.

take it back for refund because that one is not compatiable with vp200 as i had one before you can ask sorenson tech and they will tells you that model is not compatiable ,so.... in mean time try trendnet router ,did you know sorenson router is really same as dlink di604! i liked dlink for reliablity and compatiablity

Don't bother coming here and post something that I have already said not to ask me to buy something else other than Linksys.

Thank you,
Exor

WRT54G2 not WRT54GV2, oh well, it is new

only micro I don't know not support DMZ
I use Mini and Standard have more than Micro

I found at http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=40142
if not work then download at Linksys ok

I tried but doesn't seem to be working, I might have done something wrong or probably picked a wrong file to upgrade?

Wonders if you could explain a little more clearly about how to get this to work?

Thanks,
Exor

EDIT: I think probably it is because the DD-WRT require a router that is in default version to upgrade using DD-WRT's file?

Last edited:

It works, indeed.

Only the problem is every first call will cause black screen then next call will work just fine for few mins then my FPS goes down to 15 even tho the kbps steady.

Anyone know the problem?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Exor

Are you using port forwarding or DMZ? I've noticed that if you use port forwarding rather than DMZ (with Linksys routers anyway) you have better luck with not having black screen. But I'm with rhr - DD-WRT is the best firmware for Linksys, if you can get it to work.

Rick did the setup for my linksys with DD-WRT firmware with port forward for my VP-200 for me. I never have any problem. It worked beautiful.
Thanks Rick!

It works, indeed.

Anyone know the problem?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Exor

you need to call linksys and complain. If you love linksys and if they want to keep you as a customer, they will try thier best to help. If you can prove to them that another brand router works perfect and thiers doesn't then they will work on a workaround for you. you may need to call them alot until you get a resolution. Perhaps If you are persistance enough and you try everything they suggest, they might offer you a free upgrade to something that will solve your problem and keep linksys as your prefered router.

Are you using port forwarding or DMZ? I've noticed that if you use port forwarding rather than DMZ (with Linksys routers anyway) you have better luck with not having black screen. But I'm with rhr - DD-WRT is the best firmware for Linksys, if you can get it to work.
Yes, I am thinking about DD-WRT but I need to find the proper firmware for WRT54G2V1.

did u set up dmz 125 via wireless router site?
Yes, I also tried the port forwarding, doesn't seem to be working well compare to DMZ.

WRT54G2 not WRT54GV2, oh well, it is new

only micro I don't know not support DMZ
I use Mini and Standard have more than Micro

I found at DD-WRT Forum :: View topic - Linksys WRT54G2 now supported
if not work then download at Linksys ok
I have tried this one but seem to be having problem with the Step 3. I get "invalid pattern code" when trying to upgrade.

Step 3 is
3. Close all browser windows. Start Linksys's tftp.exe utility, set IP to 192.168.1.1
and browse to the VxWorksPrep-G2V1.bin file, enter passowrd = admin, and click Upgrade.
Wait 60 seconds for it to reboot on its own, if it does not, then powercycle the router
manually.

EDIT: I am thinking about the "invalid pattern code" is because the firmware of router is suppose to be default (v1.0) to do DD-WRT?
EDIT2: I found a problem and got DD-WRT running perfectly, I haven't test using VP yet but I will soon. I am using Micro at the moment.

Last edited:
you use VP-200 is 192.168.0.125?
which you use http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.0.1?

did you see #2 must IP Static but not DCHP/Automatic IP
do not use update firwman in http://192.168.x.1
you must tftp.exe utility at Linksys's download
also
WRT54G2v1 have Serial port, you use pc to router's Serial port, DD-WRT have download it call "JTAG" program at utilities/tools

Yes, I am thinking about DD-WRT but I
need to find the proper firmware for WRT54G2V1.

Yes, I also tried the port forwarding, doesn't seem to be working well compare to DMZ.

I have tried this one but seem to be having problem with the Step 3. I get "invalid pattern code" when trying to upgrade.

Step 3 is

EDIT: I am thinking about the "invalid pattern code" is because the firmware of router is suppose to be default (v1.0) to do DD-WRT?
EDIT2: I found a problem and got DD-WRT running perfectly, I haven't test using VP yet but I will soon. I am using Micro at the moment.

Great! Now all you need to do is set up port forwarding like this and then you will be good to go. Note: Make sure you set it up under Port Range Forwarding.

Port forwarded and DMZ works in Micro too. VP is running awesome with DD-WRT now. I have tested it with my friend, no black screen at first call and no going back to 15 fps after few mins.

FPS steady at 30.

Thanks,
Exor

Maybe Router is 192.168.1.1 VP-200 is 192.168.0.125 becuse VP-200 is protect password, you check "0" or "1", if you saw 0, you call SorensonVRS tech support tell them you need password, on VP-200 or... router change 1 to 0 on 192.168._.1

Port forwarded and DMZ works in Micro too. VP is running awesome with DD-WRT now. I have tested it with my friend, no black screen at first call and no going back to 15 fps after few mins.

FPS steady at 30.

Thanks,
Exor

Maybe Router is 192.168.1.1 VP-200 is 192.168.0.125 becuse VP-200 is protect password, you check "0" or "1", if you saw 0, you call SorensonVRS tech support tell them you need password, on VP-200 or... router change 1 to 0 on 192.168._.1

I think you misunderstood ExoriaX's message, he says it all is working great with NO black screen and it does NOT drop to 15fps. No need to call SorensonVRS tech support.

Back