Should we have Gay Marriage??

• Yes

Votes: 81 59.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 34.6%
  • I dont know

Votes: 8 5.9%

• Total voters
I am confused about this issue. What is the difference between "gay marriage" and a "domestic partnership"? Here in Oregon we have the Domestic Partnership and it appears to work well. Why get married, just to get a divorce?

I am straight, but if I had my druthers, I would go for a domestic partnership over "marriage" for straight OR gay. Why draw a line between the two, gay or straight? 'Treat everyone as an equal. Gay, Straight, Black, yellow, white or green! Why make everything so complicated??!!

I am confused about this issue. What is the difference between "gay marriage" and a "domestic partnership"? Here in Oregon we have the Domestic Partnership and it appears to work well. Why get married, just to get a divorce?

I am straight, but if I had my druthers, I would go for a domestic partnership over "marriage" for straight OR gay. Why draw a line between the two, gay or straight? 'Treat everyone as an equal. Gay, Straight, Black, yellow, white or green! Why make everything so complicated??!!

The difference between a domestic partnership and actual marriage is that an actual marriage is legal all over the united states, and with an actual marriage you get FEDERAL rights. That means that you get federal tax benefits, insurance benefits, and other rights and discounts. And if your wife was in the hospital in a different state than you are from, you would legally be able to see your wife, and make medical decisions for her.

With a domestic partnership, you dont get any of the benefits, you are only granted a few state rights. As well if for example your wife is in the hospital, in a state that you are not from, you would not be allowed to see her, and could not make medical decisions for her.

Basically a domestic partnership, is a marriage that has no rights, and becomes useless once you leave that state.

I am against gay/lesbian/transgender/etc. to marry. That " marriage " belongs to the opposite sex - a female and male, the ones who could produce children. Why should a female and male have their eggs and sperms for ? This is the purpose for the opposite sex to produce children. As for gay/or lesbian/or transgender/or whatever that is - they shouldn't have their own eggs, or sperms in their genitles, because of the same sex can not produce children. And, of course, I am not against gay/lesbian/or transgender for what they like to do in their lives. It's about the marriage thing, I do not wish to see them to marry.

Yea, it seems not make sense for homosexual marriage but I just respect them.

If allow to be domestic partnership or civil unions then would make sense.

I will have to do a little research but I am pretty sure that here in Oregon, Domestic Partners can share Medical Insurance. I do not know about the rest of it, but it is worth looking into. Oregon is always first to allow the odd-laws, like physician assisted suicide, etc.

Your Mom is right; a civil union or register partnership is like a limited marriage. How would straight people feel if the government told them that they could only marry but enjoy only a number of rights, whilst other rights are not allowed for them?

The problem with America is that Americans put too much religious emphasis on marriage and has a myopic vision that all weddings happen in churches. Little do we hear that people get married in the city halls. In Europe, you are required to go to the city hall to get married, hence a civil wedding, where the mayor or someone will read you the rights of marriage, read the laws that concerns marriage and then you sign the legal papers. Then some people go on to a church wedding. Several of my friends in Germany decided not to do the church wedding part of the deal, just going to the city hall and finding that to be good enough.

Perhaps if we followed the European example; forcing all straight couples to go to the city hall first to get married, then a church wedding afterwards, then they would have a different view of marriage, perhaps with a less religious association.

That is because you guys are so sensitive. It is just a poll. Why getso angry over this? Grow up!!! Everybody has their opinions... Why hate someone who has different opinion?:smash:

POST#51
Don't waste time...

There are 10 or more gay members in here... and their friends (sympathizers) or them have more than one screen name voting on here.

They gonna make you the BIG BAD WOLF... and have more and more
people feeling sorry for them.

That is all.

Sigh.. you are contradicting with yourself again.. Be careful with what you say in here.

I have a few amazing and awesome gay/lesbian friends, I don't judge them nor do not care what they do in their relationship whether its in private or in public etc....It's their life and their business to do whatever they want, It's not my place to tell them how they must live their life or who to love...

But for marriage, that's something else.... :-/

And...? why is that 'something else'? I have been with my partner for almost 17 years. We bought a house together, raised children, voted, paid taxes, etc .. just like you heterosexual people and what we do behind our bedroom door isn't your business.. Is "something else" about what we do behind our bedroom door?

Your Mom is right; a civil union or register partnership is like a limited marriage. How would straight people feel if the government told them that they could only marry but enjoy only a number of rights, whilst other rights are not allowed for them?

The problem with America is that Americans put too much religious emphasis on marriage and has a myopic vision that all weddings happen in churches. Little do we hear that people get married in the city halls. In Europe, you are required to go to the city hall to get married, hence a civil wedding, where the mayor or someone will read you the rights of marriage, read the laws that concerns marriage and then you sign the legal papers. Then some people go on to a church wedding. Several of my friends in Germany decided not to do the church wedding part of the deal, just going to the city hall and finding that to be good enough.

Perhaps if we followed the European example; forcing all straight couples to go to the city hall first to get married, then a church wedding afterwards, then they would have a different view of marriage, perhaps with a less religious association.

Some people got marriage at club or other place since most of them are agnostic.

And...? why is that 'something else'? I have been with my partner for almost 17 years. We bought a house together, raised children, voted, paid taxes, etc .. just like you heterosexual people and what we do behind our bedroom door isn't your business.. Is "something else" about what we do behind our bedroom door?

Noooo I didn't say that, you misunderstood me...DreamDeaf personally knows me and knows my reason...So I'm going to leave it to that...

It has nothing to do with what's they do behind the bedroom door or in public..I'm talking about marriage itself, that's all I'm going to say on that...

If they do get married, I'll be at their wedding and show my respect and be there for my friends and love them the same as I love all my other friends...

I am against stupid people having babies outside marriage and also stupid people in marriage having babies, but neglecting their kids and caring only about themselves, collecting welfare, SSI and blowing them away on drugs or clothes for themselves.

Well what about Birth Certificate? If Lesbians go to sperm bank
and
on the birth certificate, do you put both mothers name on the paper
and leave it blank on the father's or just put Sperm donor.

What about gay men, do they want the sufforgate mom's name to be blank?

What about adoption? Don't kids want to know who their real parents?

I will have to do a little research but I am pretty sure that here in Oregon, Domestic Partners can share Medical Insurance. I do not know about the rest of it, but it is worth looking into. Oregon is always first to allow the odd-laws, like physician assisted suicide, etc.

I think they mean... Social Security Death Benefit...

When my mom's husband died, Social Security Admin. gave her
monthly Death Benefit...

I think they get like $600 a month or something more.

I am against stupid people having babies outside marriage and also stupid people in marriage having babies, but neglecting their kids and caring only about themselves, collecting welfare, SSI and blowing them away on drugs or clothes for themselves.

If "stupid" people who have kids outside marriages DO take care of their kids and put their kids themselves first, are they still "stupid" for having kids while unmarried? I would applaud them over the people who are married but neglect their children, collecting welfare, SSI and using their monies for drugs or whatever. As long as they take care of their children, I dont consider them "stupid".

As for gay and lesbains marrying...why be against that? They are not hurting anyone else and just trying to have a better lives for themselves. I just dont get what the BIG DEAL is !!!!!

If "stupid" people who have kids outside marriages DO take care of their kids and put their kids themselves first, are they still "stupid" for having kids while unmarried? I would applaud them over the people who are married but neglect their children, collecting welfare, SSI and using their monies for drugs or whatever. As long as they take care of their children, I dont consider them "stupid".

As for gay and lesbains marrying...why be against that? They are not hurting anyone else and just trying to have a better lives for themselves. I just dont get what the BIG DEAL is !!!!!

Obviously you totally missed the point of my sarcastic posting.

Obviously you totally missed the point of my sarcastic posting.

U said u were against "stupid" people for having babies outside of marriages. What is wrong with that? My mom and her ex boyfriend had their son and never married but my mom raised my brother very well despite not being married to his father.

U said u were against "stupid" people for having babies outside of marriages. What is wrong with that? My mom and her ex boyfriend had their son and never married but my mom raised my brother very well despite not being married to his father.

First of all, I myself am gay, and am very much in support for the establishment of equal marriage laws for everyone, including heterosexuals and homosexuals. I never was against gay people being married. You made it sound as if I were.

As for the quote with "stupid" people, I was kind of making fun of heterosexual people. Religious people says it is in the bible that homosexuals cannot marry, because they cannot produce offsprings. But I was bringing up a point that even heterosexual couples have their problems as well. It is not a perfect world after all. You have heterosexual couples who marry and divorce 10 times!

Of course, some people are smart for making sure their children live the best lives they could provide for. Again, it is not a perfect world. :) I was just making a "point" about straight people, since so many religious people say that gay couples would be the fall of the traditional family structures, bla bla bla. Whatever.

Personally, I'd like to see the government get out of the "marriage business" altogether. Then we can stop arguing over whether it's right or wrong for homosexuals to get married. My wife and I can file separate tax returns--who cares? We can get Powers of Attorney for each other--what's the big deal? If a homosexual couple can find a church that will marry them, and it's important enough for them to do so, more power to them. Why is the government involved in our bedroom activities anyway -- hetero or homo?

Personally, I'd like to see the government get out of the "marriage business" altogether. Then we can stop arguing over whether it's right or wrong for homosexuals to get married. My wife and I can file separate tax returns--who cares? We can get Powers of Attorney for each other--what's the big deal? If a homosexual couple can find a church that will marry them, and it's important enough for them to do so, more power to them. Why is the government involved in our bedroom activities anyway -- hetero or homo?

Soo true!!! You know, soon as you get married, your criedit combines into 1 credit. Also, you can do soo much now without getting married. Only reason why some ppl get married, cause it is cheaper on their taxes that way. There really is no reason for ppl to get married. Before, it was the right thing to do, but now, you see soo many ppl getting married and then have to spend their life savings just to get a divorce. It just not worth it to a lot of ppl.

Now I am happy I got married to my wife and everything. Just, ppl can act like their married and never have the paper that says they r. That is the reason why a lot of states abolished the common law marriage. That was a loop hole that allowed same sex marriage. It was not real formal or anything, but some places, if you act like your married and call each other husband and wife and give that impersion off, then you had a comman law marriage. Other places where harder, and had to show proof you where living together and acting like you where married for a long time.

Still, I stand behind my opinions I said before. What I do in my bedroom is between my wife and I, and what other ppl do, that is their business. I don't care what you do, and I don't care what u think abt what I do in my bedroom. Can talk abt it, and good for u, but that is their life, not mine.

Yea, I agree... :)

Screw on AFA...

Back