Vocational Rehabilitation

What's wrong with doing it yourself?

One of the goals that VR teaches individuals with diabilities is self-empowerment.

Thank you, Byrdie!!

The goal of VR is not to get a job for you, it is to teach you the skills to do it for yourself. They will mediate if necessary, regarding accommodations, and will do what is necessary to assist you in developing the skills you need to become a productive member of the workforce, but their primary goal is help you become independent, not dependent on the system.
n
And TiaraPrincess....if they have invested funds in your education, and you just decided to "take a break", it appears to VR that you are not taking the assistance they have given you to help you become more employable seriously. After all, they invest in your education so that at the end, you will have the skills necessary for employment. You broke the agreement by dropping out of school. They aren't there to just conform to your whims. You have a responsibility to live up to your end of the bargain as well.

Where do you get such policy? My counselor previously told me that the policy vary depending on each person.

Yes, I know that they expect you to show your effort in searching for a job. It's just difficult to get them to help you the way you want them to.

You go to the "consumer" meetings where they have the board of education listening to the complaints. They know just about everything that needs to be acknowledged.

I just research too much and I tell the VR, you cannot tell me what to do, INSTEAD, help me accomplish what I am trying to accomplish.

So far. Help from VR for me doesn't help. What helped was my ability to speak and understand people. I was even offered a job at VR, I was like, hehe, NO THANKS. Such a stressful job, I'm sure. Like Jiro said, 1000000000 people on the list waiting for a job from VR. That's not how it work, there are no lists, there are no jobs that VR has waiting for people. They just know agencies and companies that are hiring, but they can't "convince" them, it's you who has to show them that you can work for them or otherwise, they're going to say REJECTED.

What's wrong with doing it yourself?

One of the goals that VR teaches individuals with diabilities is self-empowerment.

Thank yoU!! :ty: As a RCDHH, I encourage some of my clients to do it themselves. Some are working out, some don't. Sometimes, it annoys me the most that some clients rely on VR too much, not much learning how to do self empowerment. Sad.

Interesting. I didn't know about such meetings. I think we have a right to know the rules, and I think VR should require mandatory meetings for all VR support people. This is so that all the people will know what is expected of them and what VR will help with. If they don't show up, then they cannot get VR support.

Back