Vocational Rehabilitation

TiaraPrincess

Reaction score
What is wrong with these people?! I took a break from college, and I need a job. I let my counselor know, and he asked if I needed help that they could help me. Well, I asked if they had job openings that they know of, but he never answered. I let it go for a few months. I looked for jobs, and I don't know where to look for. I e-mailed my counselor on Thursday. I haven't heard from him. He hasn't answered. This same sh*t happened with my other councelor that I had to swich because she was acting like a b*tch. Anyway, so what is wrong with them? Why did they help pay for my college tuition smoothly but don't help find me a job? What is wrong with them? I am tired of figuring out this sh*t.

Anyway. Help!

I felt the same way because one time I went to the Voc. Rehab office and asked for a job but it took forever for them. I am sorry it happened to you, but I suggest you to go out by yourself and search a job because you never know you are lucky to find one by yourself...I did the same thing and got me a job without Voc. Rehab's helps.

I'm sorry you're having a hard time. Sometimes they have a heavy work load though...so a visit to your closest VR office might be in order. Call them up, make an appointment, get yourself there, and DEMAND that they get the ball rolling on assisting you in finding a job. :smash: If not, they will focus on bigger need, and keep you waiting for even longer. Why wait when you could be working around Christmas time?

I would also pound feet - knock on some doors, see if you can't find something in the meantime. That's what I did...I didn't hear from my counselor...so I went out and got a job on my own. To hell with 'em. Really. LOL. But hey, make your appointment, see what you can get started.

Good luck.

hey, u are not only person.. when i gradated from HS, VR helped me found a job, later i dont happy with this job. so i been called VR to get appt for me find a job but not hear from her since so i decided look job myself until i found it! few months later, VR called my mom and she blew up cuz of i found job and didnt let her know.. my mom told her oh well u didnt call here, since i been call her many time, never call back so i went go ahead and look for job myself... so VR woman yelled on the phone with my mom then my mom got pissed off and hang up on her, then called her boss abt it.. the boss came to VR woman and told her why yell n blah so the boss made her go take class and need more learn and manners or fired? she went go ahead and took class.. she never call my mom again cuz of my mom dont wanna talk her anymore!!! i was whoa!

OH I understand how u all feel..

VR: :smash: VR: :rl: VR: :thumbd:

All they want us to :deal: so they can get their $$$$$ without helping us!

:o :o :o :o :D

Oh well guys. I guess there's little hope with VR. I don't get how it is so easy for them to pay my school billings, but not find a job? I don't get it. Stupid councelors. I want to strangle them! Are they going to help me find a job after I graduate? WTF? My counselor told me to let him know if I find a job, and I am like, why? If they did not help me, then they don't need to know at all! Do they get commissions or something for that? Cheaters! I wish these counselors cared to help people with disabilities. Besides, they may have more work to do, but they do help in certain areas just not help you find a job. It's confusing. I bet there's a lot of fraud going on in those stinky offices.

No one's saying they don't support VR. We only want them to help us when we as for help. Not sit on their arses without telling us why they are not responding.

I have a question to see if someone knows anything about this. I had an online friend from Hawaii, and she said that VR covered her courses in Liberal Arts. Now she is taking English as a major. My first counselor told me that they really do not because, what can you do with it? I only replied to him that I have read that they are good and the high school career counselor said they are good. I only wanted to take it because I was clueless what I wanted to do. Now, I haven't asked the new counselors because I thought I was set to decide. What do you guys know?

Does anyone know if NTID/RIT cover for career development classes and Liberal Arts? I mean, I have read about it yesterday, but it leaves a concern. I have no way of affording college, so it's important that I get full tuition and books, too. Since for deaf people it is less than for hearing at NTID/RIT, then that's cool also.

Well, I e-mailed him again. I asked if he could reply before the weekend, and that I would really appreciate it.

NO RESPONSE.

*sigh* as predicted.

I really want them to help me. Also, I don't get a clear response as to why they don't help. I mean, if you bug them enough, they make you an appointment the next week or pay your books right away, but why not help you on job? Is there a secret I am not aware of?

TiaraPrincess, why not, you should call him, or you may talk to with VR.

TiaraPrincess said:
Well, I e-mailed him again. I asked if he could reply before the weekend, and that I would really appreciate it.

NO RESPONSE.

*sigh* as predicted.

I really want them to help me. Also, I don't get a clear response as to why they don't help. I mean, if you bug them enough, they make you an appointment the next week or pay your books right away, but why not help you on job? Is there a secret I am not aware of?
I hate email VR... my advice either call the VR or show up in person ad talk to them in person that you aren't wasting ur time... cuz I KNOW VR tend to label deaf ppl as sterotypes for laziness to find job.... fawk em VR!

TiaraPrincess said:

NO RESPONSE.

*sigh* as predicted.

Did you email your counselor's supervisor?

I had that same problem with my counselor. He wasn't very prompt with replying to my emails. He would usually say nothing until a week later or never. However, if I CCed the email to his supervisor... he would reply within the same day or the next day! Hehehe!

Funny thing, Nozobo (or pimpdaddy, I like the sn)..I applied for a RCD position with Colorado Springs few months ago, I got a phone interview and answered all questions.

Then, I had a second phone interview and answered all questions, of course. One week later, I did not get a job and the job was passed on to HEARING RCD person who now works for Colorado School for the Deaf and Blind. My friend and I did not get job there. Imagine that?!!

Sighs. We need more DEAF RCDs who have understanding and empathic of others, u know. Hearing RCDS need to get out!! :smash:

TiaraPrincess said:
What is wrong with these people?! I took a break from college, and I need a job. I let my counselor know, and he asked if I needed help that they could help me. Well, I asked if they had job openings that they know of, but he never answered. I let it go for a few months. I looked for jobs, and I don't know where to look for. I e-mailed my counselor on Thursday. I haven't heard from him. He hasn't answered. This same sh*t happened with my other councelor that I had to swich because she was acting like a b*tch. Anyway, so what is wrong with them? Why did they help pay for my college tuition smoothly but don't help find me a job? What is wrong with them? I am tired of figuring out this sh*t.

Anyway. Help!

I'm in a different situation. I'm hearing, but have a physical disability of another kind. I also went the voc rehab route, and they did nothing for me, either. They didn't even pay for my schooling. I relied on a scholarship for that. I have also heard the same thing from friends of mine. IMHO, voc rehab bites monkey butt, and are, for the most part, useless.

As for advice, I would suggest doing what Malfy said. Make the appt with someone, stand on them, but don't expect much. Then, get out there, and pound the pavement. It's your best bet, because, you'll be waiting around for the next ICE AGE until Voc Rehab gets off their duff and offers real help to you!

Good luck to you! :)

TiaraPrincess said:

Anyway. Help!

same as me my counselor johnny VR, we set up case for college last year and feeling VR wasting my time cuz I didnt go to college because of VR wasting my time, he wants myself go to college and filling out the finanical AID and admission for college last year and now I havent hearing VR from emails.

VR offices nationwide historically have a VERY bad track record when it came to having deaf clients or other disabled clients -- i personally think theyre just scheming assholes that just want to get paid to do nothing IMO -- ive had VR counselors like so many of u do have or had -- ive had battles with some VR counselors who were just AWFUL -- one got fired after i have filed complaints to the counselor's supervisor and turned out that this particular counselor had racked up enuf complaints from other clients that lead to her firing :dance: she has no business being VR counselor if she doesnt want to do the job right and etc :squint:

Back