Vocab limits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I was setting you up or attacking you personally then maybe, that might be true, but I wasn't.

Fallacy has absolutely nothing to do with "setting someone up" nor with a "personal attack." It has to do with the accuracy of a statement or a comparison. Therefore, the statement I referred to stands as an example of fallacy.

I read them. The problem is, you are only looking for words, and, as a result, are failing to understand the contextual meaning of entire sentences.

My arguments are not semantically based. They are fact based. Etymology has absolutely nothing to do with any of this. That is an entirely different subject, and completely unrelated to the discussion at hand.

Sorenson did not use the word "dominate" nor did I state anywhere that Sorenson did use that word. What I said was, Sorenson's contexual meaning of native was not the lignguistic and cognitive meaning of native.

There is no such thing as an "etymological fallacy". Etimology has absolutely nothing to do with contextual meaning, nor does it have anything to do with fallacy.

And, since you went back and changed your post, I will add this: ASL is not the native language of all deaf or even all Deaf, and it is the native language of some hearing.

"My arguments are not semantically based. They are fact based. Etymology has absolutely nothing to do with any of this. That is an entirely different subject, and completely unrelated to the discussion at hand."

If that is true, the stuff about your argument not being semantically based, then why did your arguments go on about the meaning of the word "dominate"? You did argue that the word "dominate" does not mean "native". Semantics is word meaning and that's precisely what your argument contained, stuff about the meaning of the word "dominate".

Fallacy has absolutely nothing to do with "setting someone up" nor with a "personal attack." It has to do with the accuracy of a statement or a comparison. Therefore, the statement I referred to stands as an example of fallacy.

Actually a person can make an error in reasoning by setting someone up and/or attacking them personally. The classic strawman, red herring, and ad hominem are all examples of fallacy, errors in reasoning, which do that.

see:

http://www.fallacyfiles.org/strawman.html

http://www.fallacyfiles.org/adhomine.html

jillio, I have demonstrated there to be errors in your reasoning. I did this by clearly defining the fallacies you use, pointing out where those fallacies exist, and specifically addressing why some your arguments are fallacy.

Last edited:
:roll: not another pissing contest again....

As far as I am concerned this is over. I will not continue to debate this. I do, however, apologize to everyone here; the moderators should of put a stop to this nonsense.

Last edited:
ASL is much more limited than the English language. ASL usually has one sign for multiple words.

Just want to make sure - English language as in... written/verbal language? not the sign language?

sorry. Jiro = noob

As far as I am concerned this is over. I will not continue to debate this. I do, however, apologize to the one who opened this thread; the moderators should of put a stop to this nonsense.

you started this thread. you can request to close this thread.

Staetement: jiro should be aware that jiro indulges in this behavior too . :cool2:

Sounds like you had to have been a lurker for a long time to make this statement and it is your first post, coming up from whatever depths you rose from to finally get on this board. Great start for you! *snicker, snicker*

I have requested to have this thread closed. ~Sg~ and Alex both have my request. Some on here have gone way off topic and others have just been outright inconsiderate, impolite, and ungracious.

I see no reason to continue the debate, either. I have made my points quite succinctly, and know that they are accurate. :wave:

And you have used none of those, therefore, your statement was, as I stated, fallicious. In other words, false, innacurrate, incorrect.

You are correct in stating that I did not use any of those fallacies, yes. However, your previous statement about my statement being an
example of fallacy.
is still clearly flawed.

That statement lacks foundation because of its vagueness. It does not, because of its vagueness, specify how my statement is a fallacy or what kind of fallacy it is.

Oh, and for the record, you did not imply or state, which is evident by the words you use and how you used them, that my statement, which is what we are addressing, was fallacious. That is something you threw in after the fact to try an muddy the waters.

Now once again, I have requested this thread to be closed and I did personally state that the matter, as far as the discussion and debate goes, is closed. Please respect that and stop posting responses to me. I do not wish to discuss or debate this any further.

Last edited:
That's not what you stated, you did not use the word "fallicious" in response to my statement. In your exact words, you stated, "This is an example of fallacy."

So yes, you are correct in stating now that I did not use any fallacy. however, you are also wrong, you are wrong in stating that my statement was, as you said, "an example of a fallacy".

And what do you think that fallacy is, jasin? It is a fallicious statement. I have simply used another form of the word. Is English your first language?

You are correct in stating that I did not use any fallacy, any of the ones I named and mentioned. However, your previous statement about my statement being an has no foundation or basis in fact as it does not specify how my statement is a fallacy or what kind of fallacy it is.

I never stated that you did not use any fallacy. I stated that you did not use a strawdog argument or an ad hominem argument. That doesn't mean that you did not make a fallicious statement, which is, a fallacy. And I did specify. I said your statement was false, again making it a fallacy.
You only stated very vaguely that it was an .

Now once again, I have requested this thread to be closed and I did personally state that the matter, as far as the discussion and debate goes, is closed. Please respect that and stop posting responses to me. I do not wish to discuss or debate this any further.

Fine. Then stop replying to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back