Vocab limits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasin

Reaction score
About how many signs does asl max out at? I know most asl dictionaries stop at about 4,500 - 5,000. Also, do most native asl signers and interpeters know all them signs?

I can't speak for every interpreter, but personally I know every single sign in ASL.

:rofl:

(sorry)

:cool: I know about 1,000 signs, somewhere around there. My sign teacher is teaching us a lot. At our level we are doing significantly more then the other classes at our level. The other classes are like 3 weeks behind us and by the end of the quarter they wont even be caught up with us. The funny thing is too, that by the end of the quarter they wont be behind for their level even though they are like 3 weeks behind us.

I can't speak for every interpreter, but personally I know every single sign in ASL.

:rofl:

(sorry)

What the difference between a teacher and interpreter? Can a teacher interpret, can an interpreter teach?

What the difference between a teacher and interpreter? Can a teacher interpret, can an interpreter teach?

It depends on the setting.

In K-12, interpreters often take on the role of tutor for the student. However, in most other settings (college, freelance, etc.) interpreters are there strictly to facilitate communication. Interjecting information other than what's being imparted by the hearing participants is not considered ethically appropriate.

I suppose a teacher who knew ASL could do some interpreting for a deaf student, but she wouldn't be able to do it for an entire class.

But of course it's possible for one person to have different roles in different settings. For example, be an interpreter in one class and then also teach another class. But generally no, not at the same time.

In K-12, interpreters often take on the role of tutor for the student. However, in most other settings (college, freelance, etc.) interpreters are there strictly to facilitate communication. Interjecting information other than what's being imparted by the hearing participants is not considered ethically appropriate.

QUOTE]

I agree with u about that. I used to be a teacher's aide for a deaf/hoh program at a mainstreamed setting. Some of the students would go to some classes with hearing children with interpreters. The job description for the terps were strictly to facilitate communication and most of them were good about following that rule. However, it seemed that the teachers of the mainstreamed classes expected the terps to act like an aide or as an disciplinarian whenever the deaf students werent paying attention in class. Many of those teachers complained to the principal and the principal would call so many meetings with the terps and tell them to do their jobs. They would say that they are doing their jobs and explain their roles but it seemed like those staff who had no deaf ed backgrounds just did not get it. Know what I mean? The deaf ed teacher spent so much of her time in those meetings explaining the code of ethics but it was about 15 teachers and the principal against her and the interps saying that they are right and that the deaf ed teacher and the terps got it all backwards.

I quit so I dont know what happened after I left, if that issue had ever been resolved or not?

I suppose a teacher who knew ASL could do some interpreting for a deaf student, but she wouldn't be able to do it for an entire class.

But of course it's possible for one person to have different roles in different settings. For example, be an interpreter in one class and then also teach another class. But generally no, not at the same time.

I went to the ASL consortium they had at the community college here, all the district wide asl interpreters and teachers attended it. They were talking about implementing here in Pierce County Washington that all ASL teachers will need interpreting experience. They wont need to be interpreters but they will need interpreting experience. This will be implemented for all ASL teachers from k-12 and possibly all community college ASL teachers as well. So what is required to be an ASL teacher would vary from community to community would it not???

I went to the ASL consortium they had at the community college here, all the district wide asl interpreters and teachers attended it. They were talking about implementing here in Pierce County Washington that all ASL teachers will need interpreting experience. They wont need to be interpreters bu tthey will need interpreting experience. This will be for all ASL teachers from k-12 and possibly all community college ASL teachers as well. So what is required to be an ASL teacher would vary from community to community would it not???

Meaning all ASL teachers at the college have to have interpreting experience? What if some of the teachers are deaf or hoh themselves? How would that work?

Meaning all ASL teachers at the college have to have interpreting experience? What if some of the teachers are deaf or hoh themselves? How would that work?

The consortium dealt with not primarly teachers at the college but teachers and interpreters district wide, teachers and interpreters in the k-12 educational system. Teachers currently in the system would be grandfathered in and excluded from having to have interpreting expierence. Their existing teaching expierence is their qualification to teach asl.

What difference does it make if the interpreter is deaf or hearing? I've met interpreters who are deaf and can speak just as well as a hearing person.

The consortium dealt with not primarly teachers at the college but teachers and interpreters district wide, teachers and interpreters in the k-12 educational system. Teachers currently in the system would be grandfathered in and excluded from having to have interpreting expierence. Their existing teaching expierence is their qualification to teach asl.

What difference does it make if the interpreter is deaf or hearing? I've met interpreters who are deaf and can speak just as well as a hearing person.

Well, help me out here cuz this is a new concept for me. It is not the speaking skills of the deaf person that I was thinking of..it is the ability of the deaf person to hear what the speaker is saying and then interpreting that info into ASL? Why must teachers need interpreting experience? How r those two related other than being able to sign in ASL? Like I said this is a first I have read about something like this so I am just wondering how that works and what's the purpose of it?

I went to the ASL consortium they had at the community college here, all the district wide asl interpreters and teachers attended it. They were talking about implementing here in Pierce County Washington that all ASL teachers will need interpreting experience.
Will interpreters be expected to have teaching experience?

They wont need to be interpreters but they will need interpreting experience.
If the teachers don't need to be interpreters, how do they get interpreting experience?

This will be implemented for all ASL teachers from k-12 and possibly all community college ASL teachers as well. So what is required to be an ASL teacher would vary from community to community would it not???
What was the reason given for this requirement?

Sorry for all the questions. This all news to me, so I'm a little confused.

In my state, we're just lucky to get enough terps who are qualified interpret, and enough teachers who are qualified to teach.

Will interpreters be expected to have teaching experience?

If the teachers don't need to be interpreters, how do they get interpreting experience?

What was the reason given for this requirement?

Sorry for all the questions. This all news to me, so I'm a little confused.

In my state, we're just lucky to get enough terps who are qualified interpret, and enough teachers who are qualified to teach.

I know..I am a teacher and if they say all teachers who teach deaf ed need interpreting experiences, I am gonna protest loudly. LOL! I am confused too.

Usually schools have different educational requirements, certifications, and job descriptions for the two. Unless the schools are thinking they can get a "two-for-the-price-of-one-deal". :dunno:

I guess that's better than the "good ol' days" when school terps were required to have CDL's for the little yellow bus. :P

all ASL teachers will need interpreting experience. They wont need to be interpreters but they will need interpreting experience.

That is extraordinarily odd. To my mind, you have

1. Proficiency in ASL
2. Proficiency in interpreting
3. Proficiency in teaching

Someone can have one, or two, or all three of these. 1 and 2 obviously need to go together, as do 1 and 3 (if we're talking about teaching ASL). But I don't see where 2 and 3 are related. Even if the ASL students are going to go on to be interpreters, I don't think it's necessary for the ASL teachers to have had interpreting experience, only if they're teaching interpreting as well.

This seems like a very exclusionary rule. As Shel said, what about deaf ASL teachers who are fluent in the language and skilled teachers, but do not have any interpreting experience? Or, for that matter, what about CODAs in the same boat?

I agree with many new rules coming out for people involved in deaf education, like progressively more advanced degrees for interpreters, but this one seems like a pointless and bad idea to me.

Unless the schools are thinking they can get a "two-for-the-price-of-one-deal".

Ahhhh...I think maybe you hit the nail on the head with that idea!

Well, help me out here cuz this is a new concept for me. It is not the speaking skills of the deaf person that I was thinking of..it is the ability of the deaf person to hear what the speaker is saying and then interpreting that info into ASL? Why must teachers need interpreting experience? How r those two related other than being able to sign in ASL? Like I said this is a first I have read about something like this so I am just wondering how that works and what's the purpose of it?

To my knowledge, requirements for teach ASL are certification from ASLTA.

ASL is much more limited than the English language. ASL usually has one sign for multiple words.

I find it hard to believe that there are only 5,000 signs. Perhaps these are 5000 "official" signs but what about classifiers? You never see that in the dictionaries. Classifiers are awesome because, although they are not official signs, are legitimate method of enrichening your signing by creative use of describing or representing objects. I often find it an unfortunate fact that many interpreters and teachers have problems with these classifiers which makes them rather to use the official signs instead. Sometimes it is a problem because the lectures or meetings become so dry and boring due to the lack of classifiers in the interpretations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back