Vitamins = Death ?

VamPyroX

bloody phreak from hell
Reaction score
Uh oh... here we go again!

First, they say we need our vitamins. Now, they're saying that we could die early from vitamins! :eek:

Vitamin supplements may increase risk of death

Vitamin supplements taken by millions of people do not increase life expectancy and may raise the risk of a premature death , according to a review of 67 studies with more than 230,000 subjects.

The review, by the Cochrane Collaboration which regularly pools data from trials to evaluate drugs and treatments, found supplements vitamin A, vitamin E and beta-carotene are detrimental to health. In 47 trials with 180,938 people and a low risk of bias, the "antioxidant supplements significantly increased mortality", the authors wrote. When the antioxidants were assessed separately and low risk of bias trials were included and selenium excluded, vitamin A was linked to a 16% increased risk of dying, beta-carotene to a 7% increased risk and vitamin E to a 4% increased risk.

Evidence for vitamin C and selenium was more equivocal, suggesting there was no benefit to taking these pills compared with a placebo.

"The bottom line is current evidence does not support the use of antioxidant supplements in the general healthy population or in patients with certain diseases," said Goran Bjelakovic, who performed the review at Copenhagen Universityhospital in Denmark. "There was no indication that vitamin C and selenium may have positive or negative effects. So regarding these we need more data from randomised trials."

All the supplements are categorised as antioxidants; research has suggested these chemicals underlie some of the beneficial effects of eating fruit and vegetables because they soak up harmful byproducts of metabolism which can damage cells and cause aging.

While the evidence of a beneficial effect of a diet rich in fruit and veg is solid, the Cochrane data suggest antioxidant supplements are either useless or detrimental.

Bjelakovic's team evaluated 67 randomised clinical trials with 232,550 subjects; 21 of the trials were on healthy subjects, while the rest tested patients with a range of diseases. The evidence suggests it would be safer to obtain the chemicals not as supplements but by eating plenty of fruit and vegetables.
Vitamin supplements may increase risk of death | Science | The Guardian

Himalayan Goji

Hey... if you so worried about those issues of health. Why not try Himalayan Goji Juice? It best health product out there so far...

More information... check the link and do your research.
Himalayan Goji Juice

Mod Note: Referral Code removed

Hey... if you so worried about those issues of health. Why not try Himalayan Goji Juice? It best health product out there so far...

More information... check the link and do your research.
Himalayan Goji Juice
Probably another scam or a fake energy drink.

There are a bunch of websites selling the same product. So, how do we know it's real?

Its not a scam... I regularly buy the drink and enjoy drinking it. Only need 1 oz a day and it "will do your body good."

If more question... PM... I will google up more information on web to verify its not scam.

MonaVie is another one of those miracle drinks that promises all you need for complete health at around $40 a fifth. I have two former friends who go on and on about it in every e-mail and want me to join in their circle of users.

It cures acne, myopia, gingivitus, baldness, and flat feet -- just like the snakeoil and patent medicines of the 1800s.

You're right, Vampy. There's fatal downside hoopla for everything we once thought was good for us. It's like, 17.3 kids die every year in the U.S. from putting a Band-Aid on a scratched knee.

Probably another scam or a fake energy drink.

There are a bunch of websites selling the same product. So, how do we know it's real?
no it is not fake. I do have friends who are resellers and I was at DeafNation Expo, they had a booth there.

regarding Vitamins. when I was young child. I loved Vita-C by Shaklee.com - Official Site - Creating Healthier Lives (my parent were in Shaklee business back in the 70's and 80's and my family siblings now sells them while my parent NOW buy them.) I would take a bottle from inventory and bring to school and try to help my friends stay healthy and not sick but I was warned not do that because we might accidently overdose which can result death. *shrug* :D so I never did that again. years later on, I now see articles popping up since lately kids sneak vitamins to school for various reasons. I miss those meal shakes ! yum!

then eat bannanna has lots of vitamins plus it cures immmune system and has lots of b12 in it also the peel inside out u can wipe thaT on yr kids skin to take care of mesqiuto biytes etc Iam I :topic: heheh

i never using vitamins for good reasons because hard explain!

many million people using vitamins for what reasons really needs

Uh oh... here we go again!

First, they say we need our vitamins. Now, they're saying that we could die early from vitamins! :eek:

WTF? That's like for them to say tap water is good and then they say, no it isn't. Oh, who couldn't forget about the eggs as well? How about other things that the professionals says it's good but yet, in the end they say it is bad or could result in death as well? They just cannot make up their mind.

If they wanted to make up their mind, They need to make a thorough or an in-depth research to support their statement rather than going off and telling us one thing or other. Perhaps they have done their research but it doesn't validate their original research to say it is fatal few years later. All these hogwash hype isn't getting us anywhere. Sometime things just seems too good to be true and most of the time it isn't.

WTF? That's like for them to say tap water is good and then they say, no it isn't. Oh, who couldn't forget about the eggs as well? How about other things that the professionals says it's good but yet, in the end they say it is bad or could result in death as well? They just cannot make up their mind.

If they wanted to make up their mind, They need to make a thorough or an in-depth research to support their statement rather than going off and telling us one thing or other. Perhaps they have done their research but it doesn't validate their original research to say it is fatal few years later. All these hogwash hype isn't getting us anywhere. Sometime things just seems too good to be true and most of the time it isn't.
Soon... they're gonna say that farting is bad for our health! We all need to fart... a self-acting colon cleaner! ;)

I didn't know that it could cause them to death at early... Huh? :confused: I only know that vitamins overdose affect your health especially kidney and liver if you continue to take vitamins supplement IF you already eat good diet like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, etc.

The people are being recommend to take multivitamin supplement daily if they don't like fruits, whole grains, vegetables, etc.

That's all what I know...

:lol: Yeah,

We learn something new everyday, it will never stop... Oh well... :|

Vitamins 'may shorten your life'

Research has suggested certain vitamin supplements do not extend life and could even lead to a premature death.

A review of 67 studies found "no convincing evidence" that antioxidant supplements cut the risk of dying.

Scientists at Copenhagen University said vitamins A and E could interfere with the body's natural defences.

"Even more, beta-carotene, vitamin A, and vitamin E seem to increase mortality," according to the review by the respected Cochrane Collaboration.

The research involved selecting various studies from 817 on beta-carotene, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, and selenium which the team felt were the most likely to fairly reflect the impact of the supplements on reducing mortality.

It has been thought that these supplements may be able to prevent damage to the body's tissues called "oxidative stress" by eliminating the molecules called "free radicals" which are said to cause it.

This damage has been implicated in several major diseases including cancer and heart disease.

'Just eat well'

The trials involved 233,000 people who were either sick or were healthy and taking supplements for disease prevention.

VITAL VITAMIN FACTS

Vitamin A: Found in: Oily fish, eggs and liver; Good for: Thought to boost immune system, and help skin, sight and sperm formation

Vitamin C: Found in: Many fruit and vegetables; Good for: Helps heal wounds and assists the body in absorbing iron, may boost the immune system

Vitamin E: Found in: Vegetable oils, seeds and nuts; Good for: May help boost circulation and keep elderly people active

Beta-carotene: Found in: Vegetables that are reddish-orange in colour; Good for: May boost vision and keep the mind sharp

Selenium: Found in: Butter, nuts, liver and fish; Good for: May boost the immune system

How many take vitamins? Between 10-20% of people in the West

How much is the global market worth? About $2.5bn (£1.3bn)

After various factors were taken into account and a further 20 studies excluded, the researchers linked vitamin A supplements to a 16% increased risk of dying, beta-carotene to a 7% increased risk and vitamin E to a 4% increased risk.

Vitamin C did not appear to have any effect one way or the other, and the team said more work was needed into this supplement - as well as into selenium.

In conclusion, "we found no evidence to support antioxidant supplements for primary or secondary prevention," they said.

It was unclear exactly why the supplements could have this effect, but the team speculated that they could interfere with how the body works: beta-carotene, for instance, is thought to change the way a body uses fats.

The Department of Health said people should try to get the vitamins they need from their diet, and avoid taking large doses of supplements - a market which is worth over £330m in the UK.

Vitamin supplements help and are not a substitute

Joel Kosminsky, London

"There is a need to exercise caution in the use of high doses of purified supplements of vitamins, including antioxidant vitamins, and minerals," a spokesperson said.

"Their impact on long-term health may not have been fully established and they cannot be assumed to be without risk."

A 'stitch-up'

But the Health Supplements Information Service, which is funded by the association which represents those who sell supplements, said many people were simply not able to get everything they needed from their diet.

Dr Rosemary Leonard's advice on vitamins
"For the millions who are not able to do that, vitamins can be a useful supplement and they should not stop taking them," said spokeswoman Pamela Mason.

Another nutritionist who has formulated supplements described the review as a "stitch-up", arguing it only looked at studies which examined the effect they had on reducing mortality, rather than other advantages.

"Antioxidants are not meant to be magic bullets and should not be expected to undo a lifetime of unhealthy habits," said Patrick Holford.

"But when used properly, in combination with eating a healthy diet full of fruit and vegetables, getting plenty of exercise and not smoking, antioxidant supplements can play an important role in maintaining and promoting overall health."

BBC NEWS | Health | Vitamins 'may shorten your life'

Read comments:

BBC NEWS | Have Your Say | Your comments on vitamins

they cant make their minds up? oh brother.. really this is damn annoying! :(

i do take few vitamins and now i found this doesnt help? oh boy.. ha..

Soon... they're gonna say that farting is bad for our health! We all need to fart... a self-acting colon cleaner! ;)

:rofl:

Speaking of that - I've always loved this one;

fart-thought-for-the-day.jpg

P.S. - I apologize for going off topic. :lol:

Last edited:
:lol: Yeah,

We learn something new everyday, it will never stop... Oh well... :|

I agree but then, I just wish those professionals can validate their statement rather than backtracking it and say, No it's good or Oh yes it's good. Geez.

i guess the only way to get healthy is to actually eat the nutritions from fruits and vegetables instead of taking vitamins in replace of eating them. I only take vitamin c since i cant drink orange juice due to getting cold sores all the time. but that's the only vitamin i take. but the others... ek, i don't know.

Back