Video's of grownups using CI

You're right...it *would* be great I could see again! Given the medical advances that are taking place, I have no doubt that this day will come sooner rather than later.

Actually Boult, most blind and low vision people have SOME residual vison. It's like the auditory verbal thingy of most dhh kids having some hearing.

Yeah, but Hear Again, you've been blind since birth. It's going to be very very very hard for your brain to learn to process visual images....and probaly downright impossible for you to see the way we sighted people see....the medical advances might be able to help you have some useful sight....but I seriously doubt that a cure (meaning a medical treatment that allows disabled people to function as nondisabled) will be in the cards any time soon.

Got the video

Hear Again said:
Deafscuba: "Cecelia's Story" is excellent! It doesn't favor one communication method over another (oral vs. sign) and discusses some of the emotional struggles the Greiger (sp?) family went through in trying to decide which communication method was best for their daughter Cecelia after she was diagnosed with severe-profound hearing loss. If you have the chance to see this video, I highly recommend it! :)

I got it, via Germany since I live in Norway. And as you said, it's great to watch. Looking at her and at our daughter it was a great view in the future.

Very interesting video, thanks Cloggy!

Hard to understand Dutch language! I have been to Amsterdam though!

I saw the videos for both CI manufacturers, Nucleus and Clarion (Bionic Ear), as well as Cecelia's Story.. while I did find them very interesting and enjoyable, I think it's important to remember that those particular videos tend to show the "best success" stories, or those that do particuarly well with their CI's. This is understandable since they come from the CI companies who want to stress the benefits of the CI and also the potential for success for certain groups of people... but it's also important to remember that the results do vary with each individual!

I myself have the CI, Nucleus 24 Contour and am very happy with it... I do think besides watching the videos it is also a really good idea to talk with a variety of people who already have CI's (from various backgrounds).

Personally I would really like to see a video which shows CI users who are pre-lingual Deaf, or those who were profound like me for very many years and use ASL and consider themselves Deaf.. I know there are many out there.. it would be a fascinating aspect to the whole CI sphere!

DeafSCUBA98 said:
how do you get those videos.. i notice u need to be a member to burrow or view those videos online.. i'm also curious about thos kid's videos. for my son to enjoy.
Yes, you can sign up for membership for free to borrow those video or view them online. Go to http://www.cfv.org/register.asp to register.

Cecelia's Story

Hear Again said:
Cloggy: If AB sends you a copy of "Cecelia's Story," let me know. Last I heard, it was no longer available. I have this video, but I know several others who are also looking for a copy. Thanks! :)

Hear Again, "Ceceila's Story" is available except now it is on DVD AB sent me a copy back in May. I am sure if you check their website you can request the DVD.

"Ears Hopin"

Gigabyte said:
Hear Again, "Ceceila's Story" is available except now it is on DVD AB sent me a copy back in May. I am sure if you check their website you can request the DVD.

"Ears Hopin"

Thanks for this information! :) I will take a look the website and order myself a copy!

Cloggy Sorry, this is off topic but I just learned something that..

Cecilia's father happened to be passed away several months before this thread was created by you: I was surprised to learn that today while googling for more information on Cecilia's progress and related articles. I came across this obit at; http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/pa/huntingdon/obits/march2005obits.txt

Scott GRUGAN, M.D., 43, of Alexandria, died suddenly Thursday morning,
March 3, 2005, while vacationing with his family in the Bahamas. He was
born Nov. 15, 1961, in Philadelphia, to Carol Sonya and Hartford Ernest
Grugan, M.D. As a child. Scott resided in Williamsport and Reading. He
was married Aug. 16, 1986, to Pamela (Pichler) Grugan with whom he had
five children: Olivia, 15, Fiona, 13, Cecilia, 11, Joseph, (Seppi). 8,
and Mario Rene, 1. He is survived by his stepfather, Glenn M. Frazier,
of Huntingdon: stepsisters, Teresa Vancko, Glenda Hebe. Kitty Snyder,
Sandra Douglass and Laura Falk; as well as half sisters, Claudia Grugan
and Tina Grugan Heineman. Dr. Grugan was a graduate of Governor Muffin
High School, Shillington. He graduated from Albright College in Reading
and the Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University,
Philadelphia. He completed his residency at Reading Hospital and Medical
Center in diagnostic radiology before coming to Huntingdon to join the
medical staff of J.C. Blair Memorial Hospital in 1991. He was certified
by the American Board of Radiology and was a member of the American
College of Radiology and the Radiologic Society of North America. While
on the medical staff at J.C. Blair, Dr. Grugan served on numerous
committees, including Medical Education and Library: Radiation Safety,
which he chaired since 1997; Utilization Management; and Medical Records
and Credentials. He served as vice chief of staff from 2002-2003 and was
a founding member of the J.C. Blair Memorial Hospital Foundation. At the
time of his death, he was the medical director of the Radiology
Department at J.C. Blair and the principal partner ot Huntingdon
Radiology, P.C. Dr. Grugan will be mourned by the members of many
diverse communities. He was an active member of the Stone Church of the
Brethren in Huntingdon and a committed member of the church's Guatemala
Circle, which in 1999 established a partnership with a Guatemalan
elementary school, Colegio Miguel Angel Asturias. He and his family
participated in all three volunteer delegations to the school organized
by Stone Church, and he was working to assemble a medical delegation to
Guatemala for the summer of 2006. He was committed to the home education
of his five children and to the education of the deaf He was well known
in the Huntingdon area for his devotion to his family, his involvement
in community projects. his interest and enthusiasm for music,
architecture, philosophy and religion and causes of many types. His
motto for life was Carpe Diem, and he lived it fully. A memorial service
will be held at Stone Church of the Brethren at 2 p.m. Saturday, March

Boult said:
why don't you try it yourself?
http://www.bionicear.com/tour/movies.asp

if it is shown on AB website then it is available! just fill out the online form and you will get it within a week! They sure send it fast and right away!
most excellent my dear Boult! just viewed the shorter version and will order a DVD of Cecelia's story

greema said:
most excellent my dear Boult! just viewed the shorter version and will order a DVD of Cecelia's story
greema, you are welcome and Cecelia is amazing... I believe she's in teenage years now either 12 or 13 this year (don't know her birth month) but the obit above shows that she was 11 last year. I am hoping there will be a follow up but that's up to Advanced Bionic to do that.

I had briefly considered cochlear implants but now that I have BTE hearing aid. I understand much better why there are positive benefits and I still use ASL. Maybe someday I will consider a cochlear implant but I am ok for now with BTE hearing aid but in the future, I will be looking at a cochlear implant as technology improves unless Jesus Christ heals me first and I pray the same for all of you too. There is nothing wrong with using ASL and having a good Deaf culture life.

When we watched Cecilia's short video, we bawled at the end when the video showed her talking on the telephone.

We're looking forward to borrowing that DVD, mom :)

Back