Video's of grownups using CI

Cloggy

Reaction score
HI, :type:

Just started browsing through the posts and one topic reminded me of some video's I downloaded.
Unfortunately they are in dutch but the woman that is interviewed had been deaf, not HOH, deaf for 30 years. She got a CI and can hear. She's still learning.
The most amazing thing is that she speaks normally. I'm sure she's done this all her life but it's wonderfull how she adapted after 30 years of deafness.

Here's the link:
http://www.lumc.nl/3080/images/patientenzorg/VingeradPols.wmv

and another link (also dutch, sorry)
http://www.lumc.nl/3080/images/patientenzorg/Intensive care.wmv

Does anyone have some links to other video's that can be downloaded?

Cloggy: I don't know of any videos you can download, but each of the 3 CI companies (Cochlear Corporation, Advanced Bionics and Med-El) provide videos free upon request. For more information, visit their respective websites at:

Cochlear Corporation

http://www.cochlear.com

Advanced Bionics

http://www.bionicear.com

Med-El

http://www.medel.com

Videos are also available from the Captioned Media Program (CMP). The CMP provides captioned videos free of charge to anyone who is deaf or hard of hearing. All you need to do is visit their website, sign up for a user ID/registration number -- and you're ready to order videos from their online catalog on a variety of topics/subjects including CIs.

Captioned Media Program:

http://www.cfv.org/

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback.

I have seen some video's from Cochlear, really powerful.

But just wondered about other footage.

Thanks again.

The most amazing thing is that she speaks normally
And? There are probaly deaf with aids who speak normally...I have a lot more hearing then a lot of people, but yet I have a VERY "deaf" sounding voice even thou I'm only hoh! It's weird....at a conference I went to, I was one of the only ones with a hoh loss, and was the only one who had a "deaf" voice...yet everyone else had worse losses and their voices were normal sounding.

HI,

Sorry shouldn't use the word "normal" to prevent getting into a CSN-discussion.

I have met deaf people that could not be distinguisged from hearing because they spoke excellent, so I should have known better.
But for a hearing person like myself, I found it amazing that someone would be able to hear - understand after only 3 months -being deaf for 30 years.
Must have been weired for her to hear her own voice.

But for a hearing person like myself, I found it amazing that someone would be able to hear - understand after only 3 months -being deaf for 30 years.
Was she deafened during infancy? I mean I do think that a lot of the early deaf folks who are sucesses with CI, are that way b/c their brain already knew how to hear...I dunno...I think it's a lot more complicated and stuff...

Deafdyke,

I have to agree with you that I would be skeptical of somebody who never heard before get the "hang" of this so quickly. I had hearing prior to my CI and I had developed my speech over many years in my early years before it became like the normal folks. This was with pretty decent hearing with a HA. Like you, I think it is a very complicated thing...very interesting indeed...

sr171soars said:
....I would be skeptical of somebody who never heard before get the "hang" of this so quickly....
I agree, and of course in documentaries the high performers are shown.
I also read that one of the reasons to implant early, is to prevent the nerve to be inactive for too long. I assumed the woman had heared all along and just recently lost her hearing, but she said that she was deaf for 32 years. (She became deaf due to menagitis, perhaps when she was 10 years old.)

I have to take the word of the deaf woman and the TV-program that the facts are correct. But there it is, on the video. (scroll through until after the commercial and have a dutch translator ready..)

Again, the people in the video are probably best-case outcomes. But still, the nerve was still working after all that time.

She became deaf due to menagitis, perhaps when she was 10 years old.
There's your answer! She was postlingally deaf, so already knew how to speak normally, AND already knew how to hear. Yes, there are high achievers, but there have always been high achievers.....back in the '60's there was a kid who was raised auditory-verbal, (prelingal deaf) and spoke seven languages....yet most '60's deafies did not acheive those levels....I'd be highly highly skeptical of the CI....this whole medience show selling of it is almost like the satire of the marketing of Zoloft as seen in the Onion (do you feel even remotely depressed? Then Zoloft is for YOU!)

deafdyke said:
....There's your answer! She was postlingally deaf, so already knew how to speak normally, AND already knew how to hear. .....QUOTE]
I realise that; but after 30 years..

Last edited:
Boult, I'm not denying that some kids do well with CIs. I'm just pointing out that there have ALWAYS been oral sucesses! Besides, many of the kids who are being implanted now, did get some benifit out of hearing aids.

Cloggy: If AB sends you a copy of "Cecelia's Story," let me know. Last I heard, it was no longer available. I have this video, but I know several others who are also looking for a copy. Thanks! :)

I know someone who was deaf (no amplification) for 30 years and could understand speech 3 weeks following her CI activation. I was very surprised by this -- especially since I'm postlingually deaf and it took me the same amount of time to understand speech with my CI. I was able to use my hearing until 2-3 years ago and yet it took me that long (3 weeks) before I could understand some speech. In this person's case, she was talking on the phone by then! :)

Hear Again said:
Cloggy: If AB sends you a copy of "Cecelia's Story," let me know. Last I heard, it was no longer available. I have this video, but I know several others who are also looking for a copy. Thanks! :)
yeah.. i would like that copy too.. the intro seems good.. and i'm glad they show ASL in it too so that people don't have to relay on only oral.. but total communication is A +

deafdyke said:
And? There are probaly deaf with aids who speak normally...I have a lot more hearing then a lot of people, but yet I have a VERY "deaf" sounding voice even thou I'm only hoh! It's weird....at a conference I went to, I was one of the only ones with a hoh loss, and was the only one who had a "deaf" voice...yet everyone else had worse losses and their voices were normal sounding.

I'm on the other end of the spectrum. :) I've had severe-profound hearing loss for 10 years and although I do have some speech characteristics (so I'm told) which give away the fact I can't hear well, I don't have a "deaf" accent/voice. In fact, I've been told I have very good speech considering the duration and amount of loss I have.

Back